Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: What is this new equipment BT are installing?  (Read 32703 times)

ryan2390

Re: What is this new equipment BT are installing?
« Reply #90 on: February 08, 2016, 03:06:53 PM »

I've seen a few of these pole mounted cabinet things recently on a local back road. I too wonder if they are for FTTP. Might be worth trying to find out.

Anyway a message to the OP. I too have ordered FTTP however for my installation they need to dig up and install ducting in the village green where I live. There is a thread in the FTTC/FTTP bit of this forum where I am sharing my experiences of the process. If you like you're more than welcome to post in there too if you like  :)

We will have to see if they get you connected on time and what the process is like for you. I've been waiting since mid november which is when we placed the order. Also it would be good to compare notes when we are both connected to see if there is any difference between us in terms of actual reliability and how often we get what we pay for. We've gone for 330/20 as I'm hungry for data  :D

Would it be commentators curse to rhetorically ask if this a new leaf in the book of BT? FTTP for rural folk?  ;D

dk544

« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2016, 03:15:27 PM »

~5 years ago no internet now FTTP, better internet than most towns, what is the world coming to :o.

Anyway a message to the OP. I too have ordered FTTP however for my installation they need to dig up and install ducting in the village green where I live.

Well they only have to run the fibre from the pole at the bottom of my garden to the house, so hopefully no delays  :fingers:.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 03:35:45 PM by dk544 »

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2016, 04:25:26 PM »

I wonder how BT decide when to let people order FTTP if they still have to dig things up?

If I see a box on a pole could I reasonably expect that someone will be offered FTTP in the area?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

ryan2390

« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2016, 04:58:17 PM »

I wonder how BT decide when to let people order FTTP if they still have to dig things up?

If I see a box on a pole could I reasonably expect that someone will be offered FTTP in the area?

My exchange won that race to infinity thing a while back so even though one half of the village is off another exchange and part of the intervention area we aren't. We're a commercial area. It has taken it's time but quite  a few of the properties in Capel have FTTP IIRC. I certainly don't recall seeing any VDSL cabs last time I passed through.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2016, 05:16:52 PM »

My exchange won that race to infinity thing a while back so even though one half of the village is off another exchange and part of the intervention area we aren't. We're a commercial area. It has taken it's time but quite  a few of the properties in Capel have FTTP IIRC. I certainly don't recall seeing any VDSL cabs last time I passed through.

Of the 9 cabs in Capel, it looks like 4 are FTTC and 5 are FTTP..

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2016, 10:21:40 PM »

It seems on the face of it like it seems potluck if they take an interest in the area.

Though its always a good sign when they are willing to make FTTP work. It shows they haven't abandoned the FTTP idea!

I was reading a post by someone else and they was saying if VM was to put fibre pipes down the ducts they have the cables in, they could also offer full FTTP too, as well as their cable packages.

I hope its good times as we progress along!

ryan2390

« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2016, 01:11:09 PM »

*snip*

I was reading a post by someone else and they was saying if VM was to put fibre pipes down the ducts they have the cables in, they could also offer full FTTP too, as well as their cable packages.

*snip*

I believe that was Walter Bowdon.

As for Capel the main part of the village is FTTP I believe and it's the outlying cabs in other places served by the exchange that are VDSL. Beare Green being such a place.

dk544

« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2016, 02:29:00 PM »

Its finally here the installation went pretty smooth. I didn't get any pics of the installation process, but heres some speedtest results for you guys to drool over  ;). (faster than 99% of GB, ah yeah!)

forceware

« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2016, 03:45:55 PM »

Very nice speeds! I'm a little disappointed to see the ping is not that much better, I would hope to see single figures. I use my line  99% of the time for gaming and would order ftth if I had the chance purely for lower ping and jitter.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: March 01, 2016, 05:45:21 PM »

Those are great speeds! :)

I've long advocated eventual full FTTP, not for speeds. But more for stability. It is the future.

I just wish ISP's would get the rest of us to that point asap.

By the way, when you download a file, are you able to get your full download speed, or is it capped/restricted by the download server your getting the file from?

dk544

« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2016, 01:20:25 AM »

... for lower ping and jitter.

The ping is fine, the jitter is non existent even when downloading/streaming videos/playing games (all at the same time).

By the way, when you download a file, are you able to get your full download speed, or is it capped/restricted by the download server your getting the file from?

Well I downloaded Battlefield 4 the download didn't go above 20MB/S, steam tops out around 30MB/S.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2016, 01:49:18 AM »

Bowdon wrote:
>I've long advocated eventual full FTTP, not for speeds. But more for stability. It is the future.

>I just wish ISP's would get the rest of us to that point asap.

Absolutely! You're so right. It's time to stop messing about with yet more wasteful, delaying projects and simply concentrate on getting to the point we know we have to reach anyway.

lcl00

« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2016, 10:48:49 PM »

Very nice speeds! I'm a little disappointed to see the ping is not that much better, I would hope to see single figures. I use my line  99% of the time for gaming and would order ftth if I had the chance purely for lower ping and jitter.

The user is in Northern Ireland (if I remember correctly).  Pings to GB don't usually go that much lower around here.  :)

ryan2390

« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2016, 05:06:46 PM »

... for lower ping and jitter.

The ping is fine, the jitter is non existent even when downloading/streaming videos/playing games (all at the same time).

Well I downloaded Battlefield 4 the download didn't go above 20MB/S, steam tops out around 30MB/S.

Glad to see you have your FTTH. Still waiting for OR/contractors to start digging!

As for download speeds are you downloading to a single hard drive, RAID array or an SSD? I did some maths a few weeks ago and I know from testing my RAID5 array can write at around 170Mbps so downloading to that would be my limiting factor. I can write to an SSD a lot faster though. When I get mine I shall also do some tests.

Thinking of that I might ask someone I know from B4RNland if they'd be willing to find a few people to host a file for a torrent of something. Will have to look into that. Cracking speeds though :)

forceware

« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2016, 10:18:09 PM »

I think you may be getting megabits and megabytes mixed up in you calculations, even a single 7200 rpm drive will handle 500Mbps download.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]