Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: What is this new equipment BT are installing?  (Read 32699 times)

dk544

Re: What is this new equipment BT are installing?
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2016, 10:31:41 PM »

What exchange / area are you. ?

Pomeroy (NIPY)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2016, 01:42:32 AM »

Look closely at the sixth picture. Isn't there a yellow stripe just visible on the right-hand side of the tubing which comes down from the fibre manifold?  :-\  It looks as if the yellow stripe is almost hidden by being placed against the wood of the pole . . .

If that's a yellow stripe, it looks about as distinct as the "stripe" in the 2nd and 4th pictures, on the distribution cable coming into the pole from the left, and leading down the pole.

Yet *that* cable looks more like pre-existing copper, going into the bullet. And on the other hand, perhaps the stripe looks, in pictures 1 and 6, like a separate cable into the DP.

I'm really not confident I'm seeing any distinct yellow stripe anywhere. I'm happy for the OP to report results in daylight instead.

Digital cameras, eh? They can be good at capturing *something* in dim light, but quite what the "something" is can be anyone's guess.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2016, 01:43:39 AM »

... that conclusively states these are 'Pole Mounted Enclosures' for FTTP Brownfield.

so we just need to figure what it is enclosing  ;)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2016, 01:46:31 AM »

How many homes and poles are in that stretch?

Well between the last pole with that equipment on it (20m from my house) and the pole shown in the photos' (10m from my house) there are 3 houses. If your counting the houses on the line coming from the cabinet, altogether 100+.

I meant the number of homes covered between the 4 different enclosures (you mentioned half a mile apart).

I'm guessing that back near the cabinet, some of those houses can get FTTC services, and won't need FTTP. Presumably the cabinet is some distance off.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2016, 12:33:03 PM »

If there's existing FTTC ...... from the Cab.

I thought that FTTP came via the local fibre node - not the FTTC cabinet which I understood was not used with FTTP (though most FTTC cabs are near a fibre node)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2016, 12:44:35 PM »

Sorry, if the whole Exchange area is fully FTTP, then it will, it's the 'on demand' that will utilise FTTC.

dk544

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2016, 01:38:03 PM »

Definitely a yellow stripe http://imgur.com/a/xZwOG    ;D

I meant the number of homes covered between the 4 different enclosures (you mentioned half a mile apart).

There are about 10 house.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2016, 01:57:20 PM »

The new photos add more detail yet again, as I can now see that there are 3 cables leading down into the fibre enclosure.

Looking back up at the top of the pole, in some of the earlier photos, I can now see that the thicker of the three goes to the manifold. You'd expect this to be thicker, as it holds the empty BFT tubes for blowing fibres to the home.

The two thinner cables now spring to attention more, and seem to be routed off left and right, just above the manifold, but below the copper, to the previous and next poles. Looking closing at the ways the poles connect (ie paying proper attention), you can see both the thick copper distribution cable and the thin fibre cable running in parallel.

What I can't see, though, is any indication of cables going to individual premises from the top of the pole.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2016, 02:00:55 PM »

Sorry, if the whole Exchange area is fully FTTP, then it will, it's the 'on demand' that will utilise FTTC.

I've got to say that I though FTTP-on-demand would be wired into the aggregation node too, just like regular FTTP. What FTTC brings to the game is the knowledge that an aggregation node exists somewhere nearby, because it is feeding the FTTC cabinet too.

dk544

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2016, 02:08:14 PM »

...an aggregation node exists somewhere nearby, because it is feeding the FTTC cabinet too.

What does this aggregation node look like?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2016, 02:32:51 PM »

its a rocket to attack virgin media cabinets at distance :D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2016, 05:30:50 PM »

...an aggregation node exists somewhere nearby, because it is feeding the FTTC cabinet too.

I believe that there is an image of one on Saffy's site but I can't easily put my paws upon it.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2016, 06:19:42 PM »

I believe that there is an image of one on Saffy's site but I can't easily put my paws upon it.

There is a picture here - I think they are normally underground but can be pole mounted.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2016, 06:38:08 PM »

There is a picture here - I think they are normally underground but can be pole mounted.

That will do nicely, thank you. :)  I will go as far as saying that in excess of 99% of the time, aggregation nodes will be located in underground chambers.

Come to think of it, I have a photograph (stashed away in the "what not") that Walter took, when the initial deployment was being made in Ewhurst, Surrey.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2016, 06:43:05 PM »

More pictures here, which help slightly...
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/fibre-milton-keynes/

The box on the left in picture 1, with its cover on, looks just like an aggregation node - to be sited in an underground jointbox. However, once it has been opened (in pictures 2-10), we find it is actually the underground variant of the splitter node (with 4 splitters with room for 4 splitter devices, but only 1 is fitted).

The aggregation node has a similar internal layout to the splitter node - two separate racks of splice trays - but the actual trays differ; they're almost certainly all beige. The image labelled "img_4374" gives you a hint of just how similar the two look.

This old post has instruction manuals for more of the nodes (look at the quote section near the end of the post). The pictures can give an idea, but the text is probably way over the top for what you're asking...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 06:47:07 PM by WWWombat »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7