Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: What is this new equipment BT are installing?  (Read 32885 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: What is this new equipment BT are installing?
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2016, 08:29:43 PM »

Good points.

Is there any way we can check how 'full' a cabinet is? As a percentage. It would be interesting to see a map of how popular fibre connections are to cabinets then we'll have a more educated guess as to how popular fibre is around our areas.

Sorry for derailing the thread a bit here  :-[
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2016, 09:10:55 PM »

In this case, the OP is in Northern Ireland.

They had a phase of deploying FTTC that finished a long time ago, but NI has different geo-demo-graphics ... they have considerably longer D-sides than England, so less homes qualify as "superfast". Where England can translate 93% fibre into 89% superfast, NI translates 95% fibre into only 76% superfast.

This second phase in NI is more about converting those with FTTC, but still a long line, into proper superfast properties. A lot are being done with all-in-one cabs (combined PCP and DSLAM), added into long circuits. Some get FTTP - presumably for cost, density, or distance reasons.

We'll see more of this in SEP phases in England, but for now the 90% targets can be hit with just standard PCP upgrades, combined with adding DSLAMs for EO lines.

However, one county is getting FTTP infill in the way you think - Surrey. But that is because their first phase was over-funded to reach 99.7%, and they are chasing stragglers now.

As for the pole-mounted box...
Right now, it looks to be infrastructure for FTTP only.

Some architectural diagrams have surfaced that show a similar box in use for FTTRN - so that was plausible, but less likely. I don't think an FTTRN box has been sighted in the wild yet, apart from trials, let alone the pole-mounted adjunct - FTTRN is, at best, still on trial, and at worst, pushing up the daisies. Things have gone very quiet.

Having seen the box pictured for both FTTP and FTTRN architectures, it isn't a huge leap to believe that they could be used for G.Fast deployments too - which will need similar jointing as FTTRN, deep in the network. Again, not confirmed in the wild, and only in small trial areas anyway. A long way off...

Note also that these boxes are only going to be seen with aerial distribution of fibre - ie the fibre itself runs pole-pole-pole. If the distribution runs underground, and only the final drop to homes is from the pole, then the boxes will be in the underground chambers, and look entirely different.

No way to tell how full the cab is, apart from a costing an Openreach engineer when he's at the PCP. Then he can tell from the number of tie pairs being used.

dk544

« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2016, 03:00:24 PM »

where you get find out the monthly cost and set-up charges

Delivery Charge: £6.95 - For the router/modem

Line Rental: £17.99

Anytime calls add-on: £6.23

Broadband and Calls: £53.45

Total ongoing charges for this order: £77.67

I hope that answered your question.

Just need some photos of the inside of the box on the pole when they come to splice you on.

Will try my best. Anything in particular to look out for?

I noticed that the FTTC speeds were very low.

I wonder if there is any priority when BT pick these places to upgrade to FTTP. Are they picking people with low speed FTTC to upgrade first?

I live ~2.7 km from the cabinet so these speed are actually quite decent, also I am one of the last house on my road that can get any connection (according to BT anyway) so there are a lot of house still without an internet connection in my area.

I don't know how the decision was made to upgrade our area to FTTP, it kind of came out of the blue, but I do know that a lot of people in my area where complaining that they couldn't get any broadband connection before and even after FTTC was installed and the local councillor has been pushing this issue with the respective authorities for quite sometime, maybe that was a factor (were also getting a new mobile phone mast in the area which is long overdue as mobile signal is patchy at best).

What ever the reason I'm happy that it has been installed.  :)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2016, 12:52:12 PM »

Just need some photos of the inside of the box on the pole when they come to splice you on.

Will try my best. Anything in particular to look out for?

Nah. I'm just nosy, and always on the lookout for anything new  :graduate:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2016, 05:44:59 PM »

Nah. I'm just nosy, and always on the lookout for anything new  :graduate:

It could be the influence of the curious kitteh that you carry around on your back . . .  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2016, 02:59:34 AM »

Unfortunately, I only get to scrabble around close to the ground. Kitteh gets sent off to do exciting things, zipping over fences or up poles. The more agile stuff ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2016, 05:03:13 PM »

Unfortunately, I only get to scrabble around close to the ground. Kitteh gets sent off to do exciting things, zipping over fences or up poles. The more agile stuff ;)

That reads as if it is a perfect partnership!  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

flipdee

• Just arrived
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2016, 12:41:56 PM »

Whats very interesting is this exact same equipment has been installed all along the Cloghfin Rd, Omagh, Co Tyrone, BT79 9EQ for at least 12 months already, one is on the pole outside the Community Centre at number 138 Cloghfin Rd but the dsl checker shows it's actually doing nothing for them (as per attachment).

When I first saw these a breakout boxes I really did think the extremely high number every 5 or 6 poles would have meant within 6 months all these properties would get native FTTP but it would appear not.

cheers
flipdee

flipdee

• Just arrived
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2016, 12:56:34 PM »

Maybe they haven't got round to attaching the Remote Node Type DSLAMS?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2016, 04:09:01 PM »

@dk544 that's quite a bill (for one month?)

( Why is it that users think that Andrews & Arnold are expensive?
-mustn't wander off topic, take off into another thread if desired )

flipdee

• Just arrived
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »

That's BT Infinity 4, 300/20, so pretty cheap.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2016, 10:00:07 PM »

Whats very interesting is this exact same equipment has been installed all along the Cloghfin Rd, Omagh, Co Tyrone, BT79 9EQ for at least 12 months already, one is on the pole outside the Community Centre at number 138 Cloghfin Rd but the dsl checker shows it's actually doing nothing for them (as per attachment).

When I first saw these a breakout boxes I really did think the extremely high number every 5 or 6 poles would have meant within 6 months all these properties would get native FTTP but it would appear not.

cheers
flipdee

Hi flipdee ...... either yours or someone else's address is on that piccie, mate. Just a heads-up in case you wish to edit it ??  :)

Edit - Doh, forget it ..... just read the bl00dy thing properly. its the community centre.  :blush:

pdes

« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2016, 11:01:05 AM »

Here's what I found when I was researching.  I am in a small community over a mile from the FTTC so at best I get 8/1.  I would love to drum up local support for this and, if necessary, try to get folks to contribute to the cost.

Any ideas to whom we can request this kit?

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/02/bt-fttrn-superfast-broadband-tech-trial-goes-live-north-yorkshire.html

David

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2016, 12:18:19 PM »

I think you want to start with this page, and the FAQ's on "community fibre partnerships". That suggests starting with getting confirmation that you won't be covered by anything in the coming council rollout, and gives you contact details.
http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/the-big-build/Fibre-roll-out.aspx

I'm not sure that FTTRN will be an available option right now. BT were originally heading for FTTRN in North Yorkshire in quite a big way for phase 2 ... and it doesn't appear to have materialised. The council reports all show that the cost of power is too much ... and we've heard nothing about progress on improving this. Nothing at all since that trial went live a year ago.

What sounded promising, got delayed for a year due to power. A year later, and we hear nothing - except that BT was, by then, rather consumed with G.fast.

History
It started with things like this:
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4315931-fttrn-pilot-in-leyburn-north-yorkshire.html

and went on to
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4372811-progress-report-on-superfast-north-yorkshire-november-2014.html

Went live
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4380813-fttrn-now-live-in-north-yorkshire-probably.html

And turned into this:
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4433021-superfast-north-yorkshire-progress-report.html

pdes

« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2016, 01:07:28 PM »

Interesting and disappointing!  Thanks for the comprehensive update though.  Guess it's 8Mb for the foreseeable  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

anything