Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: What is this new equipment BT are installing?  (Read 32857 times)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: What is this new equipment BT are installing?
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2016, 10:12:14 PM »

As FTTP is not my 'game', I'm guessing just a simple fibre joint ?? Here's a list of pole-mounted fibre gear ......

Pole Mounted Fibre
Distribution Point (12 end users) Distributes 12 fibres to 12 end users via blown fibre bundle.

Pole Mounted Fibre
Distribution Point (32 end users) Distributes 32 fibres to 32 end users via blown fibre bundle.

Pole Mounted Primary
Splitter Node (32-way dual split network) Provides 1st level of split on 32-way dual split network.

Pole Mounted Splitter
Provides 2nd level of split on a dual split network.

Pole Mounted Transition
Provides joint between underground and overhead

Blown Fibre Drop Tube Manifold
Distributes up to 12 single drop tubes from one 7-tube or 12-tube Blown Fibre cable

I didn't realise there were quite so many options available to BT. The design seems to have snuck out, without any specific architecture mentioning them.

Your post triggered yet another online search (I'm a glutton for useless info), and I found this:
http://www.eda.org.uk/clientUpload/downloadDocument/document/PRYSMIAN%20CABLES%20-%20TONY%20VOSE%20-%20LEEDS%20FORUM.pdf
the most interesting part comes from page 16, and is attached as an image below.

Page 39 on the same document is also interesting. While it doesn't tell us those enclosures are for BT, the wording ("Fibre on Demand", "FoD", "FTTP Brownfield" and "FTTP New Sites") really matches up with BT lingo.

Are these enclosure styles also in use, as well as the rounder bullet-style types from Tyco?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2016, 07:16:47 PM »

Good find W3. Regarding your question, I wouldn't know, due to not being involved in FTTP ..... on demand or otherwise. I can view lots of text-based material on FTTP, but hardly any pictures. 

lcl00

« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2016, 10:19:05 PM »

DETI are notoriously bad at giving out specific information... but when you're persistent enough they'll tell you what they know.

FTTP was indicated for certain areas in Northern Ireland as infill after the first two waves of fibre rollout were complete  This new scheme is deploying FTTP only to certain areas up until 2017.  Looks like you're one of the first to benefit from that. :)

dk544

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2016, 04:24:29 PM »

The results are in.  FTTP it is ;D

Now I just need to figure out how to order it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 04:31:14 PM by dk544 »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2016, 04:36:49 PM »

Good for you - slightly jealous.

On the other hand if you order FTTP now, you might actually get it by Christmas  ;D ;) :P

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2016, 04:43:56 PM »

Who is your current ISP?

dk544

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2016, 04:44:59 PM »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #67 on: January 26, 2016, 04:51:24 PM »

So how fast do you want to go? Infinity 4 is 300/20

dk544

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2016, 05:44:09 PM »

So I just rang up BT through their normal sales number, oh how I forgot how good this experience can be, so after being on the phone with them  for close to 40 mins getting passed around in circles from one department to the next only for them to tell me that I cannot receive any broadband service at all (currently on their faster broadband package @11 DS 1 UP). Might be a while before I actually get it. Got to love BT though, spend lots of money installing the infrastructure but don't allow people to buy the service, genius.

I have a number of a guy that works in BT Belfast, he helped get us on to the 'Fater Broadband' package a few years ago, so I call him up tomorrow and see if he can help.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:48:11 PM by dk544 »

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2016, 05:59:57 PM »

Try the FTTP team  0800 587 4787

dk544

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2016, 05:12:26 PM »

1st of march, BT Infinity 4 300Mbps DS 20Mbps US.  ;D

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2016, 09:29:49 PM »

1st of march, BT Infinity 4 300Mbps DS 20Mbps US.  ;D

where you get find out the monthly cost and set-up charges

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2016, 02:16:45 PM »

:yay:

Just need some photos of the inside of the box on the pole when they come to splice you on.  :whistle:

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2016, 03:54:08 PM »

That's awesome news mate. Like others I'm jealous! :)

I noticed that the FTTC speeds were very low.

I wonder if there is any priority when BT pick these places to upgrade to FTTP. Are they picking people with low speed FTTC to upgrade first?

Also, am I reading this thread correctly, BT added something to the pole and it looked like they were installing G.fast type of technology i.e. fibre to the pole. Then it turns out they are making full FTTP?

I wonder in some areas when they put up this pole technology will they auto offer FTTP to some people, and G.fast FTTC to others?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2016, 07:06:49 PM »

I wonder if there is any priority when BT pick these places to upgrade to FTTP. Are they picking people with low speed FTTC to upgrade first?

Also, am I reading this thread correctly, BT added something to the pole and it looked like they were installing G.fast type of technology i.e. fibre to the pole. Then it turns out they are making full FTTP?

I wonder in some areas when they put up this pole technology will they auto offer FTTP to some people, and G.fast FTTC to others?

Most FTTP is going to new build properties and/or FTTP only areas.

Overbuilding FTTC with FTTP is relatively rare.

I suspect there are several things in play:

a) dk544 is in a BDUK area and his current FTTC speeds won't count towards the coverage target;
b) Employing vectoring wouldn't have have helped enough;
c) G.Fast is not yet commercially available from Openreach - its still in the trial phase; and
d) BT are under contractual deadlines to increase 'super-fast' availability

I suspect even when G.Fast is available, its going to need a certain population density/take-up within a certain distance from the cabinet/g.fast node to make it viable. I'm guessing dk544 would fail on this count as well.

Hence, more rural areas - with low population densities and long lines may see FTTP may be preferred as a more economic solution together with the associated reliability/maintenance savings - when the alternatives are a new FTTC cab (which would also need power) or G.fast which make more sense where there are more potential customers.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

anything