Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help with wiring  (Read 1878 times)

ryfoo

• Just arrived
Help with wiring
« on: January 11, 2016, 11:05:31 AM »

Hi all

We had some building work done when we first moved in, and the builder replaced the BT NTE5 with a chrome socket. The property is older and in another room we have a junction box, which leads me to believe we might have a star wired network, possibly?
Anyway I would like to put an NTE5 back in along with a BT NTE-2005 ADSL Faceplate as there is some noise and interference on the line.. I've been doing a lot of web research to try and figure out the wiring but I'm still a little confused.

I think the purple sheathed cable leads to an extension below the master socket (it was positioned mid way up a wall so for neatness an extension was dropped down directly beneath it). I'm assuming the cable that seems to be sheathed in white tape includes the exchange wires which i would connect to A & B on the NTE5. Does this sound about right?

Thanks in advance.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Help with wiring
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:33:07 AM »

You are correct in your assumptions.

Your BB speed would increase quite a bit due to the star-wiring present and the connection of the 'bell-wire' (on T3 terminals) dragging the current speed down. TBH, if you booked a BB low-speed visit, the work should be carried out for free under the 'normilisation of wiring' process. Plus, the 'exchange side' wiring should legally only be touched by Openreach.

What the engineer would do  ;), would be to separate the two cables held together by the white insulating tape, find out which one was carrying the Exchange conditions (-50Vdc / Dial Tone), and then connect this wire to the back-plate of the proper NTE5. The remaining cable along with the other cat cable would then be terminated on the front-plate of the NTE5. With an SSFP fitted between the two plates, this ensures that the extension sockets will still work for PSTN only services (Dial tone in other words). The Broadband signal will only present itself at the SSFP port.

All that said, if you have audible noise on the circuit now, there's a chance you could still have it after the re-hashing of your circuit ?/ That's why it may be better to request a proper BB engineering visit through your ISP ?? Your choice  :).

PS ...... welcome to the forums.  ;D

ryfoo

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 02:33:00 PM »

Thanks Black Sheep. I am a little nervous about going in and messing something up so think I'll follow your advice about contacting BB supplier. I have actually already removed the bell wire which did make a difference: now i only see line errors when the phone rings. I'm going to try moving the phone away from the router as the next easy step.

Thanks for the help and the welcome.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 03:37:30 PM »

Pleasure.  :)

anything