Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New CEO  (Read 3990 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
New CEO
« on: January 11, 2016, 09:25:56 AM »

New Openreach CEO appointed on tenth anniversary

Today we celebrate Openreach’s tenth anniversary. Since its creation, BT has invested over £10.5bn of capital in Openreach so the whole industry, and the whole country, can benefit from a properly maintained and upgraded network. A network that is open to all communications providers wishing to provide voice and broadband services.
The UK has one of the most competitive communications sectors in the world, achieved primarily by the equal access all Communications Providers enjoy to the Openreach network. So, our company and our industry have many reasons to be proud.
I’d like to take this opportunity to thank everyone in Openreach for their dedication, hard work and for their help, particularly over recent weeks when many have had to work in difficult weather conditions to maintain service for our customers.
On this landmark day, I’m delighted to announce that Clive Selley has been appointed to lead the Openreach organisation as we embark on our journey from superfast to ultrafast.
Clive, who is currently CEO Technology, Service & Operations (TSO) has led the innovation, design, test, build and running of our global networks and systems. He’s been responsible for research and development; improving end-to-end working; and quality and speed of delivery. All of which have been essential in helping BT grow and in improving the customer experience.
Prior to this, Clive was CEO BTID and has worked in various parts of the company in a career spanning more than 30 years. He joined BT shortly after school and was sponsored through his degree in electrical and electronic engineering by the company. He has undertaken marketing, portfolio management, network, IT and software development roles and implemented platform strategies in Retail, Wholesale and Global Services.
Going forward, the priorities for Openreach remain: improve the customer experience; deliver the fibre rollout; and continue with the fundamental mission to build Britain’s connected future.
The handover between Clive and Joe Garner will take place this quarter and Clive’s successor in TSO will be announced in due course.
Please join me in congratulating Clive on his new role and in wishing him and all Openreach colleagues continued success.

Gavin

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: New CEO
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 10:23:31 AM »

I'm hoping this appointment could be a quite a coup for OR ??? Clive has been with the company 'Man and boy', and has come from the technology-side of the business, which can only be good.

I pray (even though I'm not religious  ;)), that he doesn't implement changes for changes sake. But, knowing he at the very least understands communications (unlike a lot of his predecessors), leaves me feeling that my company is going to good hands.

The proof will be in his legacy.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 10:51:07 AM »

Joe Garners thoughts, and some statistics .............

Folks

You will have seen the announcement this morning that Clive Selley, CEO Technology Service and Operations, has been appointed as the new CEO of Openreach. I believe that this is great news for Openreach; Clive will bring over 30 years’ experience in the sector along with his engineering background and his in-depth knowledge of our network and technologies.

Clive’s appointment carries my full support, and I would like to ask that you give him a warm Openreach welcome, and help as he continues our mission to build Britain’s connected future.

This is fantastic news to add to our day of celebration on Openreach’s tenth birthday. More than half our people have been at Openreach since the beginning and have experienced that evolution first hand, whilst others have joined more recently, but we’ve all played a part in making our organisation what it is today.

Let’s reflect on some of the highlights of the enormous changes of the last ten years…

Customers

Ten years ago, only a tenth of our business was from outside BT Group – today it is approaching half.
We had hardly any LLU customers, and today we're approaching 10 million – ten times the original forecast.
And fibre was not even on the agenda 10 years ago, but today we have over 5 million fibre end customers.
We’ve grown our Ethernet business significantly from just 1,000 circuits in 2006 to nearly 200,000 today. Most recently, despite increasing customer demands, we have more than halved customer complaints over the last few years, and we're still making progress despite the huge operation pressures of the recent weather events.

People

Our people have remained loyal and committed to our business, despite the amount of change. The tools we work with have changed greatly, and we’ve gone from being a laptop based business, to 20,000 of us now using iPhones (half with reach365 downloaded on them).
We’ve had an improving safety record with LTIs decreasing from 5.48 per million hours worked in 2006 to 3.02 per million hours worked in the last 12 months.
In the Challenge Cup we’ve won five out of the last ten yearly competitions, which is outstanding.
We are leading through a period of unprecedented change, but doing so to protect our future for the next ten years.

Network

We’ve transformed our network and moved from analogue to digital and from voice to data.  We’ve enabled the UK's need for speed delivering an average UK broadband speed of 28Mbps now compared to 1.6Mbps ten years ago. We now have 24m homes passed with fibre, 3.5m of which were delivered by working in partnership with BDUK.
We were the first official infrastructure partner in the 2012 Olympic games - the most connected games in history. We provided the network to 54 venues across the UK and 2012 was the first Olympics never to have a category 1 telecoms failure.

Stakeholders

Openreach was created as part of the Ofcom telecoms strategic review in 2005, and over the last 10 years, we’ve delivered a massive 254 undertakings. In the middle of the DCR – the ten year review of these undertakings, it is clear that they have been a success.
We’re valued for making a difference in the communities we operate in, with just 3% of us volunteering in 2006 to 26% in the last year.

Shareholders

Over the last 10 years we’ve invested £10.5 billion in Britain’s digital infrastructure, committing over £3 billion to create a nationwide fibre network to provide affordable high-speed broadband to the vast majority of the UK.
We’ve also given back £5.8 billion in price reductions to our customers since 2006, which means that telephone and broadband prices from Openreach have been falling over the period – unlike most other things that people buy.

Thank you for everything you’ve personally contributed since joining Openreach, I’m constantly impressed by the loyalty, commitment and skills of our people. We have a critically important role to play in society; to keep the nation connected to the internet. We are proud to be custodians of the UK telecommunications network – an invaluable national resource that plays a vital role in our everyday lives, and the crown jewel of the BT Group.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 11:17:06 AM »

I'm hoping this appointment could be a quite a coup for OR ??? Clive has been with the company 'Man and boy', and has come from the technology-side of the business, which can only be good.
Would the technology side of the business be responsible for the decision to abandon FTTH in favour of (currently) FTTC and soon to be G.Fast? Would it also be responsible for the haphazard roll-out of Phy-re/G.INP including supplying CPE equipment that doesn't support it? How about the use of sub-contractors whose idea of a good job is if they can leave within 10 minutes?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 11:19:16 AM »

Thanks for your optimistic, upbeat take on it, Dray  ;) :)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »

If they weren't responsible for those, then hopefully a technology-orientated leader for a technology company will be a good thing.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 02:01:53 PM »

That's my hope to, mate.  :)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 02:16:48 PM »

This hopefully is a welcome move.

I hope this guy has some link to the engineers at base level. There are a lot of ways BT / OR can improve the working system in order to give a better and more efficient service.

I agree that G.fast is the way to go for now, with full fibre as the next step. Hopefully this guy is close to Kevin Foster, who is also pushing the case for faster G.fast deployment.

I'd like to see some more announcements on G.fast this year. In the previous announcement they did say 2016 was the year that they would start to look at rolling it out in some fashion.

So lets hope this guy is a hands-on sorta person.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 03:46:56 PM »

I also think that FTTC was the right move although it's had problems, and G fast is the next logical step so long as they get them further out closer to the EU. Hopefully this new CEO with his background will take the company and broadband delivery in the correct direction.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 05:15:03 PM »

Thanks once again to Mr Sheep for an informative post re BT affairs.

I'm glad to hear that Clive has risen through the ranks rather than parachuting in from M&S, British Nuclear Fuels et al.

To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 05:16:31 PM »

@BS
Thanks for the post. It is certainly a good move, from my perspective, to see someone with an engineering background in the lead seat.

Given what Openreach could be facing over the next few years - which appears to be a binary choice of a large engineering-led rollout, or a large legal/political battle - I wonder if this choice of CEO tells us something about where Ofcom is leaning. Or at least where BT thinks Ofcom is leaning.

Would the technology side of the business be responsible for the decision to abandon FTTH in favour of (currently) FTTC and soon to be G.Fast?

To me, deploying FTTH is primarily a financial decision, not a technical one.

10 years ago, if you wanted to get residential properties to a speed of hundreds of megabits (or even a single hundred), you had no choice whatsoever. You had to install FTTP of some variety ... or you just didn't spend the money at all. Did you want to spend that amount of money? Could you afford to?

Nowadays there *is* a choice. In fact there are multiple choices - G.fast, G.hn/G.now, and midi-VDSL2/profile 35b/vectoring. And, yes, it is the technology side of the business that has been responsible for making that choice available to the financial side.

It is, of course, the financial side of the business that makes the decisions based on the technology choices that have become available.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 05:30:59 PM »

Thanks once again to Mr Sheep for an informative post re BT affairs.

I'm glad to hear that Clive has risen through the ranks rather than parachuting in from M&S, British Nuclear Fuels et al.

Most welcome, Mr Candles. PMSL at your other comment.  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 06:43:29 PM »

I'm pleased to see that the apointee has worked his way "through the ranks" and, therefore, should understand more than just the basic fundamentals.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 06:49:59 PM »

I'm pleased to see that the apointee has worked his way "through the ranks" and, therefore, should understand more than just the basic fundamentals.  :)

The last time I can remember this being the case, ie: from 'on the tools' through to CEO, was with Iain Vallance. When he went, so did the company's common-sense.
I just hope we haven't travelled too far down this ridiculous 'Stats first' road, to see some kind of return to what I would call normality ??  :)

1-2-3 ...... starts to hold his breath ..........

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 06:55:01 PM »

@BlackSheep here's hoping for you. I know the issues, though luckily I've never worked for someone whose previous experience is selling chicken sandwiches and underpants.