Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Predicted speed range from stats  (Read 3129 times)

jmac80

• Just arrived
Predicted speed range from stats
« on: January 10, 2016, 07:05:39 PM »

Hello all
I know i cant get exact speed predictions for fibre from adsl stats but i'm just wondering what to roughly expect so here's the info on my line/exchange..

Exchange is NSULL and it's due to get fibre in the next couple of months.

Every house in our village is EO lines and i believe they will be installing cabinets near the exchange..

My line must be about 1200m to the exchange and probably 800m to where i believe they will be putting the cabinet (well i seen them doing a lot of work there but no cabinet installed yet)

At the moment the max adsl we get here is 8mb and my vigor 130 modem has the following stats:

Down speed 8128000
Up speed 448000
SNR Margin 15
Loop Att. 17

No matter what router i have had over the last 10 years i have always synced at the full 8mb.
The lines in my village are very good i believe...

Any rough estimates on what sort of speed i may achieve maybe if its close to your own stats while on adsl before going onto fibre.?

Thanks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Predicted speed range from stats
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 07:44:31 PM »

Hello jmac80. Welcome to the Kitz forum.

You must be even further north in Scotland then Weaver if you are connected via the Ullapool exchange!

As you are currently obtaining a healthy 8 Mbps DS on a single line, it does seem to indicate that the existing infrastructure is in fairly good condition. Working with the distances you have mentioned, let's assume you will have a 1000 metre line length once the new PCP and its fibre twin have been installed. For a VDSL2 circuit of that sort of length, you may find that the synchronisation speed will be comparable to that of Bald_Eagle1. To give you some idea of how that circuit behaves, I'll try and "whistle up" the Eagle to tell you, himself . . .  :whistle:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 08:04:40 PM »

Way further north. Welcome to the forum, jmac80.

jmac80

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 08:21:38 PM »

Thanks for the warm welcome guys  ;D
Yes I'm right up in the sticks here, Really chuffed we're getting fibre at all.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 09:11:35 PM »

My copper pair length is 1km/1000 meters to PCP cabinet and this FTTC line has a Downstream Sync rate very close to 35000 kbps, the deciding downstream sync rate will down to the material quality of thoses pairs and at each OR joint during it's journey to your NTEa in the home.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 10:14:03 PM »

Jmac80, you're aware I'm sure it goes without saying that it is FTTC, which is copper, that you're getting. You're not getting "fibre" which is just marketing speak. Well at least I assume you aren't,  as VDSL2 was mentioned earlier.

(Apologies to BlackSheep for pedantry with whom I simple beg differ on this point.)

jmac80

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 10:20:42 PM »

Jmac80, you're aware I'm sure it goes without saying that it is FTTC, which is copper, that you're getting. You're not getting "fibre" which is just marketing speak. Well at least I assume you aren't,  as VDSL2 was mentioned earlier.

(Apologies to BlackSheep for pedantry with whom I simple beg differ on this point.)

Yes fully aware, Fibre to cabinet then copper to house (unfortunately), I wish it was FTTH like most of Cornwall got when they upgraded!

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 10:26:17 PM »

For once, I got caught out, I had to look back into the thread to check whether we were talking about FTTP.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 10:30:25 PM »

b*cat has just noticed that jmac80 has a twin, LOgiX, who posts in the Thinkbroadband Forum!  ;)  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jmac80

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 10:52:39 PM »

lol yeah
And plusnet forum  :P ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 06:37:21 AM »

As mentioned by b*cat, my line length from the cabinet is around 1100m.

The cable actually goes away from the direction of my house near the cabinet in order to reach a road crossing to cross a main road.

It also continues past my house to a joint chamber then doubles back to a pole across the road from my house before coming in overhead at the back of my house.

These 'diversions' add approximately 130m or so to what the length would have been if more direct.

When FTTC was first installed in 2011, apart from almost 11 months of unstable service due to an external line fault that took far too long to locate & repair, my connection was able to achieve & maintain sync speeds at around 30Mbps/7Mbps.

Crosstalk since then has gradually diminished sync speeds to these:-
Upstream rate = 4516 Kbps (4,5 Mbps), Downstream rate = 22399 Kbps (22.4 Mbps).

I use a Huawei HG612 modem, connected to a Huawei DSLAM & G.INP is currently ON for downstream & OFF for upstream.
My connection is very stable & general error counts also reduced significantly when G.INP was introduced.

Also see the attached screenshot showing today's BT estimated speeds.

EDIT:

FWIW, prior to having FTTC installed, I was lucky if I achieved 1 Mbps sync speed (on a good day) from my ADSL connection - around 5.3 km or so from the exchange, so having FTTC installed was a no brainer for me.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:55:56 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

jmac80

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 11:31:58 AM »

Thanks very  much @Bald_Eagle1
Very good information for me to digest.
It's a shame you have the diversions on your line.

anything