Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Kevin Foster warns slow G.fast deployment consequences.  (Read 2476 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Kevin Foster warns slow G.fast deployment consequences.
« on: January 10, 2016, 01:49:52 PM »

I was looking for some up to date G.fast information and found this.

Broadband Forum Chairman: “Deploy G.fast right or miss out on unique opportunity to bring showcase technologies at CES to the masses”

http://www.realwire.com/releases/Broadband-Forum-Chairman-Deploy-Gfast-right-or-miss-out

The chairman of the Broadband Forum, Kevin Forster, has warned that all the incredible things being shown at CES will only be enabled if operators begin to make notable movements in deploying G.fast technology. Forster is also the head of innovation at BT, so it's worth listening to his thoughts when it comes to preparing for what's next.

http://www.telecomstechnews.com/news/2016/jan/07/broadband-forum-chairman-highlights-consequences-slow-gfast-deployment

BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

ktz392837

• Reg Member
Re: Kevin Foster warns slow G.fast deployment consequences.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 11:54:20 PM »

If he is the guy who decided on the ECI cabs I am not holding my breath!  I can only hope they do Gfast first on ECI cab locations.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 12:27:43 AM »

> All the incredible things being shown at CES will only be enabled if operators begin to make notable movements in employing G.Fast technology

<rant>
What an idiot.

You see only urbanites who live very close to civilisation are important, only they need 4K TV or whatever. And they are the only productive people. So that's why it's fine to push an already-outdated technology that only reaches the important people.

WTF. This is what we have been living with, feeding spoonfuls of crap to completely clueless, lazy, ignorant politicians to milk them of their cash to keep copper alive a little longer.
</rant>

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 01:29:11 AM »

The chairman of the Broadband Forum, Kevin Forster, . . .

Forster is also the head of innovation at BT, . . .

[rant]
As is usual for the "old boys network", one person blundering about and doing two things poorly rather than concentrating one thing and doing it well.
[/rant]

:rant:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 01:49:11 AM »

Not read it all, but if he wants to push g.fast, thats ok by me.

It fits in with the roll out of fibre that I foresee BT doing.   Initial roll out of FTTH to all is expensive (and time consuming).   G.fast builds on top of FTTC to bring even faster speeds.   Its not as expensive as full FTTH.   Its more likely and more economic that someone in a remote location could get FTTN rather than FTTH.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 01:51:16 AM »

If he is the guy who decided on the ECI cabs I am not holding my breath!  I can only hope they do Gfast first on ECI cab locations.
Dunno who he is, but based on this, he would hardly be the bean counter type who decides which manufacturers equipment is used where.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 02:00:45 AM »

I'll start using a more fibre-rich delivery platform when FTTDP (fibre to the distribution point) is rolled out.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 02:09:08 AM »

FTTRN will do. It's perhaps reliable enough? Because there's not that much copper in it?

ryan2390

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 03:11:14 AM »

> All the incredible things being shown at CES will only be enabled if operators begin to make notable movements in employing G.Fast technology

<rant>
What an idiot.

You see only urbanites who live very close to civilisation are important, only they need 4K TV or whatever. And they are the only productive people. So that's why it's fine to push an already-outdated technology that only reaches the important people.

WTF. This is what we have been living with, feeding spoonfuls of crap to completely clueless, lazy, ignorant politicians to milk them of their cash to keep copper alive a little longer.
</rant>

Oh how I wish this forum had a 'like' button or some such thing. That made me smile weaver. That said from a pure curiosity perspective I'd like to see how g.fast does in the real world

anything