Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Strange RF filter  (Read 12051 times)

currytop

• Reg Member
Re: Strange RF filter
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2016, 10:42:28 PM »

Does the aerial cable have a circular or a figure-of-eight profile, assuming that you could view it end-on?  :-\

Uhmm - I think it was just roundish, maybe slightly flattened. Presumably some steel in there too.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2016, 11:58:34 PM »

From what you have previously mentioned about the house, I suspect it is probably the old figure-of-eight cable -- hence not a twisted pair.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2016, 10:05:02 AM »

Old 8-profile cable will be replaced if found by an engineer, unless the rules have changed recently.

I reported a problem (intermittent noise) on my line a while back and as soon as the engineer arrived he spotted the old, grey, twin-core flex overhead cable and set about replacing it.
Only slight annoyance is that he didn't do the entire length, just joined it near the restraining bolt under the eaves, so the last few metres down the house wall and through to the NTE5A are still rubbish.  :(

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2016, 10:41:30 AM »

I've got him to look up at the cable with binoculars and he can't be sure but thinks it probably is figure of eight not just circular. My memory is that it was so cruddy on the outside, lichen etc that it would be hard to tell. I certainly can't remember too clearly.

Would an OR broadband guy routinely be expected to climb the pole and replace overhead cable, or would he call another team in as he hinted?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2016, 12:33:09 PM »

Mine was a phone engineer, not sure what versions they come in. He happily went up the pole over the road and used the old cable to pull the new one across using an ingenious pulley/tension arrangement (presumably standard issue). Fitted a new securing bolt and "pigtail" on my house as well.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2016, 01:36:02 PM »

Suggest some kind of medal for CurryTop

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2016, 05:17:59 PM »

KEM   :-\
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2016, 05:38:04 PM »

I've got him to look up at the cable with binoculars and he can't be sure but thinks it probably is figure of eight not just circular. My memory is that it was so cruddy on the outside, lichen etc that it would be hard to tell. I certainly can't remember too clearly.

Would an OR broadband guy routinely be expected to climb the pole and replace overhead cable, or would he call another team in as he hinted?

I have to say, I've never been 100% certain of the ruling surrounding older type drop-wires ?? By that, I mean I don't know if we have to replace them if no fault condition exists ?? However, there's something nagging at the back of my mind that says we do have to change out old 'Figure 8' type drop-wires, due to the fact they are not 'Twisted pair' and subject to 'Noise ingress'.
If I can find any more info I will get back to you ??

I've attached two piccies of Fig 8 wire to perhaps help with your identification.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2016, 05:42:51 PM »

Mine was a phone engineer, not sure what versions they come in. He happily went up the pole over the road and used the old cable to pull the new one across using an ingenious pulley/tension arrangement (presumably standard issue). Fitted a new securing bolt and "pigtail" on my house as well.

Yeah, the pulley-systems are part of the engineers tool-kit and are actually quite good for the 'Cut & draw' method described in your post.

The rules as is, are that if the EU is at home, we renews the drop-wire right through to inside the premises (NTE5 or BT78/80 etc). If the EU is out, we can renew the overhead span of wire and fit a BT66 (external connection box) to joint the new wire to the existing one.

The only other reason we might not replace the whole section, even if the EU is in, is at their request. IE, aesthetic reasons or disturbance reasons etc .....  :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2016, 07:53:45 PM »

OK, thanks for that, sounds like he "broke the rules", though it was a while ago could they have changed?
I definitely was there and would have preferred a complete rewire, but I wasn't asked.  :(

There is no problem getting the cable to the master socket, it's just inside the front door and the overhead cable terminates almost directly above it.
Would have involved drilling a new hole through the cavity wall to do it tidily as the old cable is somewhat buried under plaster and redecoration from the intervening many decades (about 4 I reckon - 40 years) since it was installed in probably the late sixties when the house was built.

Anyway, beginning to digress somewhat from the OP's topic so I'll not divert further.  :-X

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2016, 09:49:41 PM »

BS - do those photos represent the external appearance or is there some overall sheath not shown? The photo just looks like twin bell wire and I don't think the cable looked like that.

Anyways, unless there's some issue when he gets FTTC activated then I'm done there.

The other thing the exercise has done is persuade me to throw out all the collection of bits and pieces of connectors and part used reels of cable, panels. circuit boards and other electrical paraphernalia that's cluttered the garage for the last 20 years. Always kept it 'just in case'. A fair amount of it was pre-metric. Quite therapeutic! Should have done it when copper was at it's peak.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2016, 09:53:05 PM »

Yes, that's the full appearance of the cable, curry. As you say ...... it has a resemblance to twin bell-wire.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything