Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Strange RF filter  (Read 12050 times)

currytop

• Reg Member
Re: Strange RF filter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 08:51:02 PM »

I've just turned up a part drum of 5-pair CW1128 with maybe 25 metres left. So I could run that externally down to the existing overhead anchor point and up into the loft, but it would then need another j-box in the loft to CW1308. I can't see an OR engineer accepting a j-box he hasn't installed and if he won't go into the loft then...

I've also found about 8 metres of SWA CW1198 but that's getting silly & somewhat unnecessary!  ;D

I think I may ask for a call when the engineer is on his way and ask him which option he'd prefer. If he moves the overhead I think he'd have to replace it, and presumably would have to call another dept to do it and call back once done.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 09:59:23 AM »

I would be seriously tempted to raise a 'Broadband slow-speed' fault. We recently introduced a traffic-light comparison thingamajig, that will determine if the EU's speed is similar to those of a same distance ..... note I say distance, not attenuation.

I would also probably want to be on-site to show the engineer where the problem lies. He should then 're-hash' the wiring set-up and provide an NTE. This cost is usually picked up by the ISP under the 'Wiring normalisation' procedure.
If you ring to request the circuit be upgraded, the there's a high possibility that this may be booked as an installation task as a 'Shift, cease, recover' of existing cable. This will be charged to the EU.

If you decide to use the Broadband option, any assistance you could give the engineer would also be gratefully received. IE: doing the loft work for him if this is the easier option, as we are restricted with our confined spaces regs.  :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 10:23:54 AM »

When my brother had a line fault he bunged the engineer a tenner to move his master socket. He was quite happy for my brother to go up in the loft and pull the cable through, the engineer then stood on the loft ladder to fit the master socket. So they do seem happy for you to assist where they are not allowed to venture. Obviously this does depend on the individual engineer on the day.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 10:27:25 AM »

I would be seriously tempted to raise a 'Broadband slow-speed' fault. We recently introduced a traffic-light comparison thingamajig, that will determine if the EU's speed is similar to those of a same distance ..... note I say distance, not attenuation.
Would that be effective now though, given the improvements already achieved?
The router now syncs at 8Mbps so quite a result.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 10:35:29 AM »

Fair point ........... if I'm reading it correctly, the filter device is still in play with just the capacitor leg snipped, so may well still be causing issues regarding further speed-gains ??

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 11:18:07 AM »

Yes the filter is still there but the termination box is in a completely unsuitable location. He really needs a NTE5 installed and a fresh internal cable to a j-box that can be serviced.

I've just come off the phone and been open & honest, told them his situation and pointing out that their previous visit had simply resulted in no improvement possible. They've agreed to arrange a re-visit in light of new evidence and without an absolute commitment accept that the wiring needs updating if for no other reason that they can't service the existing arrangement. They won't promise but don't think any charge will be levied.

In addition to that I've discovered his old router will only do plain ADSL and they've agreed to supply a new model capable of ADSL2+, so some further improvement may be possible. He really wants to watch sport on his TV and already that's now become possible.

I was already planning to be present when the engineer calls and can easily loose lay two cables beforehand to give him a choice of route. One in the loft and one under the floor.

Do overhead cables usually have some sort of lightning arrestor before entering the property? e.g. in an external j-box of some sort.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 11:21:01 AM »

Sounds very hopeful.

No, no lightning arrestors are installed pre-entry to the premises. 

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 11:25:08 AM »

> Do overhead cables usually have some sort of lightning arrestor before entering the property?

I wish. No, I'm afraid not, afaik. (Mind you it would perhaps detrimentally affect the signal quality?)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 05:16:41 PM »

(Mind you it would perhaps detrimentally affect the signal quality?)

Such an effect has been observed by the wizards of Grimbledon Down [1], hence the reason why the newer NTE5/As (and /Bs) are no longer fitted with gas-discharge over-voltage protection devices.

[1] A.k.a. Martlesham Heath or Adastral Park or whatever the latest name it has been given.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2016, 08:24:35 PM »

Just by way of an update:

I drilled through the wall from the outside near the overhead wire anchor, being careful not to drill through the bath! I fed a new cable through past the old box with the filter, down under the bathroom floorboards, along the landing and up into the study leaving plenty of cable free at both ends. Then cleared away the foliage outside.

On the day the engineer was due to arrive I turned up with a packet of chocolate biscuits as a bribe! He was quite amenable once the situation was explained, and agreed to use the new cable and fit a new NTE5 in the study - AND couple up the now rewired existing extensions in exchange for more biscuits! As I suggested the cable going outside is covered by a new external j-box.

Result - another 2Mbps download more. So much for "it's a long line and as good as it can get"!

By way of an apology his ISP has now offered a 12 month FTTC subscription for no extra cost, and his daughter has promised to cover the extra thereafter, from Australia! She wants to use a videolink so their family can communicate. Line testing estimates now indicate better than 40Mbps possible.

So I'm quite pleased it got resolved in a way that doesn't leave him with an unofficial bodged wiring system, and he can watch the sport he wanted.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2016, 09:15:09 PM »

Another excellent result. Thank you for the update.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2016, 07:45:00 AM »

Thank you for the feedback. Great result.

4candles

• Kitizen
  • Not young enough to know everything
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2016, 02:52:25 PM »

Interesting thread - great result.   :)
To err is human - to purr feline
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2016, 08:47:14 PM »

It must have been the luxury Fox's chocolate biscuits!! Thanks for all your advice.

The overhead cable looks pretty ratty but the engineer wasn't prepared to exchange it as another team would be responsible - reasonable I suppose. Ratty in the sense of splits in the insulation and bits of it missing. Might be interesting if it causes variable noise once FTTC is activated.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2016, 09:04:34 PM »

The overhead cable looks pretty ratty but the engineer wasn't prepared to exchange it as another team would be responsible - reasonable I suppose. Ratty in the sense of splits in the insulation and bits of it missing. Might be interesting if it causes variable noise once FTTC is activated.

Does the aerial cable have a circular or a figure-of-eight profile, assuming that you could view it end-on?  :-\

Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything