Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi DHCPv6 server  (Read 8413 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Raspberry Pi DHCPv6 server
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 11:10:35 PM »

I'm talking about configuration that involves setting up a mapping between MAC addresses and to-be-assigned IPv6 addresses.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 11:11:28 PM »

Could this be delivered on a plate for a complete ignoramus with next to zero knowledge of *nix?

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 11:14:38 PM »

How does one configure it?

In a standard Linux distribution one would normally install it from a package which creates the default startup links at power up. Then you edit the text file dhcpd.conf creating stanzas declaring the default gateway, default name server to use, valid address range and any fixed Ethernet to IP address mapping. Lastly if wanted, details of how to update a supported DNS server with the leases issued so that name resolution works correctly. Then restart the service. It's well documented.

Alternatively there are a few dedicated Linux distributions tailored explicitly for use as a router. Some of these attempt to make it a bit less 'techie' to configure things.

Lastly there are some packages intended to act as remote management tools for a fairly standard server installation. They provide a web interface and try to present server administration tools on a remote browser. Tools such as Webmin. They have had a few security scares in the past as they naturally expose powerful reconfiguration interfaces remotely.

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2016, 11:22:05 PM »

Could this be delivered on a plate for a complete ignoramus with next to zero knowledge of *nix?
I'm guessing from your earlier posts you aren't really an ignoramus but yes familiarity with basic Linux shell (bash) commands (like DOS) would be a big help. Alternatively as I mentioned look out for distributions dedicated to turning an old PC or single board computer into a router appliance.

I'm currently playing with VyOS, a fork of Vyatta, but that too can be a little opaque and while very powerful perhaps too steep a learning curve for someone with casual interest. I'm considering it as an alternative to a Firebrick. It will do pretty much everything a Firebrick will do including bonding.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 11:50:10 PM »

I've never used *nix, but I'm a C programmer and have written an obscene amount of WinNT CMD batch files. As for *nix shells, I'm sure I could pick them up.

And a powerful XSLT implementation would help me if available for Raspbian, as I use XSLT to do a lot of config processing donkey work, such as creating batch files out of XML config databases. Turning the declarative (XML) into the imperative eg batch or other programs, is a favourite of mine.

I considered Win10 on a Raspberry Pi, but I haven't managed (yet, to my shame) to master PowerShell, lovely though it is, I just feel lost, and I'm not sure how minimal / lacking / incomplete the Win10 package is. Yes, I know, flame ye me not.

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 12:10:04 AM »

I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything