Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Diary of an FTTP installation in rural Surrey (To be continued)  (Read 25418 times)

ryan2390

Re: Diary of an FTTP installation in rural Surrey (To be continued)
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 07:34:09 PM »

Some good news.  :)

Please ensure that your camera is operational, as a visual record of the process will be appreciated.

Well I can see a good portion of the village green from my garden so I will keep my eyes peeled. Might even be incentive enough to get off my rear end and go looking for activity and photographing what I see. If I can I want to photograph the job lot. New chambers, new ducts, workmen on tea breaks....the whole nine yards.

ryan2390

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 05:54:26 PM »

Not forgotten you.

Just spent the best part of two hours on the phone holding to speak to someone while trying the live chat thing that BT do. Normally I ring up, enter my number and get put through to the right people. Often I'm done within half an hour. But not today. Very much a case of wanting to bang my head against a wall today.

Anyway no update today from BT. Just got told that Openreach will update BT Retail in the first week of April. I daresay that overall it's not been a particularly easy process. I think one of the things that really would make a difference is if there were a direct number which would put me through to the FTTP order people. I know it doesn't help that civil engineering is required to get the service delivered but still.  :wall: :wall: :wall:

A rather trying experience today. Hopefully by April I will have more news for you all!

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 06:08:46 PM »

Somebody else posted this either on this forum or another.

FTTP sales team directly at 0800 587 4787

I copied it to a txt file on my PC.....I may have FTTP sometime this year...or FTTC.

Ian

ryan2390

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 11:00:47 PM »

Somebody else posted this either on this forum or another.

FTTP sales team directly at 0800 587 4787

I copied it to a txt file on my PC.....I may have FTTP sometime this year...or FTTC.

Ian

Cheers Ian. I forgot I had seen it here! I knew I had seen it somewhere but ho hum. :)

ryan2390

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2016, 02:25:10 PM »

Hello!

When my mother returned from running my sister to work this afternoon I asked her if she'd seen Openreach in the village doing anything expecting the usual 'don't be daft' and 'there goes another squadron' however this time she informed me she had seen them working on an access chamber. After having a rather rapid lunch I put my shoes on and went walkies much to the disappointment of the dogs. When I finally made it up to where they were working the poor buggers were on their lunch break. Felt rather rude interrupting their lunch I must say but I digress.

I got talking to them and they told me that today they had taken fibre up a pole and were getting ready to take it from pole to pole. I explained that I wasn't near the properties they seemed to be describing and asked whether they were planning to use the poles supporting the overhead power lines to which they said yes. I didn't have time to charge a decent camera so only got a few shots on my phone but now I've found this out it does explain why some trees were felled recently and why after that there was a week of near constant chain saw noise.

It turns out that not only are there overhead power cables behind some of the houses but there are a few telegraph poles too and there is some blue string between a couple indicating where the fibre is going. It seems too good to be true that they're actually starting work. They did also say that one of the ducts is blocked which needs clearing before anything can be connected to the node and if the weather is agreeable tomorrow and I can get a DSLR with a long lens charged I will try and get some hi resolution shots of what they've done so far.

Looking closer folks!

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2016, 03:42:22 PM »

Good to hear things are progressing.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2016, 05:09:37 PM »

Listening intently, did b*cat hear the squeal of rubber on tarmac?  :-\  Could the noise have emanated from the tyre of Walter's Wheelbarrow:D

:angel:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

ryan2390

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2016, 09:27:24 PM »

Listening intently, did b*cat hear the squeal of rubber on tarmac?  :-\  Could the noise have emanated from the tyre of Walter's Wheelbarrow:D

:angel:

I shall drop him an email shortly if I don't get distracted looking at manifolds and other fibre related goodness.

I must stress that although it looks like this is how they are doing it because I can't speak to anyone at OR and BT refuses to ask on my behalf I can't guarantee it.

That said it's feeling closer. Starting to think of ways to test it too. Might try and download a big game or something off Steam...see what happens. As it is my downloads folder is going to have to move. With a write speed of 170Mbps my RAID 5 array won't be able to keep up ;)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2016, 12:37:27 AM »

What's the upstream expected data rate?

ryan2390

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2016, 11:01:18 AM »

What's the upstream expected data rate?

I believe it's only 20Mbps. Seems a bit daft really given it's FTTP but it'll be adequate for what I do with it. Mind you with an extra 19.5Mbps I might find other things I can do with it.

I have found out that what they installed yesterday was a fibre manifold and the relevant cables. Once they've cleared the duct blockage they can connect it to the node and carry on building. Or at least that is what I was told

ryan2390

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2016, 12:38:06 PM »

Hi All,

Have an update for you. I rang BT on the 31st of March and turned on the "unhappy customer and what the hell is taking so long" mode. I wasn't rude or anything I simply explained that it's been difficult recently trying to get any sort of information and lack of apparent work since the last sighting of Openreach was concerning. This was of course after two previous failed attempts as it just wasn't my day. First time round I got cut off while being transferred and the second time I got cut off due to a power cut. Third time lucky it was believe me!

After spending 53 minutes mostly listening to ringing noises and hold music I managed to get some information. We are apparently in the network extension phase which, so I was told, is sorting things out so we can actually be connected when the fibre comes and this is due to be completed by the 18th of April. I was also told that my assumption that the fibre was coming along the electricity poles was erroneous and they are still going to be bringing it underground which I take to mean the village green is going to be dug up.

There is a provisional date to install the consumer splice point on the outside of the house by the 29th of April with a view to getting us connected and online on the 5th of May. Granted this is by no means concrete and could very well change but at least we now know how they're doing it and have a slightly better idea of the timescale involved.

I will keep you posted

Ryan

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2016, 06:45:40 PM »

Slowly but surely progress is being made.  :)

What you could do, between now and the end of this month, is decide where you would prefer to have the ONT sited indoors and where would be a sensible location for the external splice point.

ryan2390

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 01:28:32 AM »

Slowly but surely progress is being made.  :)

What you could do, between now and the end of this month, is decide where you would prefer to have the ONT sited indoors and where would be a sensible location for the external splice point.

Pretty much decided the day I ordered it where it was going inside. As for outside I suspect not far from the existing joint tube.

Hoping to invest in at least one Ubiquiti AP and so on. Need to speak with the management about a better solution than the one we have now. ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2016, 05:09:11 PM »

The reason for me mentioning the location of various hardware items is that there is a separation limit, imposed by Openreach, which relates to the length of the fibre "pig-tail" that is provided to link the CSP and the ONT.

ryan2390

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2016, 03:12:43 AM »

The reason for me mentioning the location of various hardware items is that there is a separation limit, imposed by Openreach, which relates to the length of the fibre "pig-tail" that is provided to link the CSP and the ONT.

Do you happen to know what that is?

In other news spotted this just now. Thought I'd check roadworks.org on the off chance and BINGO....see attached
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6