Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Plusnet Low & High cost area  (Read 30635 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Re: Plusnet Low & High cost area
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2016, 03:54:53 PM »

Is that because you've only got 20CN ADSL1 available though?
That was my guess, but Zen said otherwise.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2016, 05:49:02 PM »

I make that were PN to equalise costs at the current low cost area rate, the revenue loss for ADSL (all types) would be ~6.75%

However, the question is whether the current price loading on low cost end users is/ is meant to be a be a deterrent; would equalisation be to PN's commercial advantage. If not the common price might be higher than we might imagine. What do you think of my thoughts, I wonder?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2016, 04:09:55 PM »

There are ISPs who charge the same fee regardless of whether an exchange is Market A or B  - including ironically Plusnet under the John Lewis brand.

They even advertise it as a selling point:

Same price wherever you live

Unlike some other broadband providers, our prices are the same for everyone regardless of where you live.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2016, 05:53:32 PM »

@gt94sss2
 Of course we all know that, but what those companies do must be for the sake of their individual commercial needs. I would dare suggest that enforcing common pricing might have on PN EUs different from those expected from pure mathematical calculations.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2016, 07:19:35 AM »

However, the question is whether the current price loading on low cost end users is/ is meant to be a be a deterrent; would equalisation be to PN's commercial advantage. If not the common price might be higher than we might imagine. What do you think of my thoughts, I wonder?

Do you think end users in high cost areas may be on longer/worse lines and therefore cost more to support?   However if this was the case they could just as easily not offer service in those areas.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 11:27:54 AM by aesmith »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2016, 07:26:58 AM »

Not sure I understand question. is there a typo or whatever in the post?

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2016, 09:12:30 AM »

Do you mean the current price loading on high cost end users?

Surely, low cost users (the majority) are where BTw have more freedom to set prices - its the high cost areas where they have to charge more than they might otherwise?

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2016, 11:27:10 AM »

Not sure I understand question. is there a typo or whatever in the post?
Yes - two typos, which I'll correct because otherwise it makes no sense at all.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2016, 11:34:44 AM »

By the way, another high cost/low cost operator is Pulse 8 although they have a price difference for phone line as well as for DSL making the total difference greater than Plusnet.   Low cost area, ADSL and phone line = £25/month.   High cost is £41/month.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2016, 05:54:02 PM »

Do you mean the current price loading on high cost end users?

Surely, low cost users (the majority) are where BTw have more freedom to set prices - its the high cost areas where they have to charge more than they might otherwise?
My post wasn't well checked was it? :-[ Definitely the loading on high cost end users was meant.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2016, 07:16:23 PM »

Was just using the Kitz advert on the forums and it was PlusNet so gave it a go with postcode and telephone number and this is what I get.

Just interested to see other forum users price plan using the link 

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2016, 08:31:58 PM »

I used the link, entered some details and then tried to find the equivalent page of output.

Here follows the best I could find (for EABSE) --
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2016, 09:11:13 PM »

Six months free the same as me then the difference is seen you are charged £14.99 per month and me I get charged £22.39 a difference of £7.40 monthly then multiply £7.40 X 18 months = £133.2.

that is how much I pay being in a high cost area for broadband & phone this is just downright discrimination any way you look at it.

Discrimination is treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing is perceived to belong to rather than on individual merit.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:14:22 PM by NewtronStar »

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2016, 06:54:15 AM »

Running the check for a neighbouring address ...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

anything