Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Plusnet Low & High cost area  (Read 30623 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Plusnet Low & High cost area
« on: January 05, 2016, 08:32:06 PM »

Found this page on Plusnet as seen below in bold, find it discriminatory now before I ring up my local MP to complain about this the first thing i would like to to know who controls regulated and non regulated ?

1. Why does the price change depending on where I live in the UK?

We can supply broadband to all parts of the UK but the cost may be higher for a small amount of our customers depending on where they live in the UK. This is due to the fact that the price we pay in these areas is regulated and costs more for us to provide to our customers. This constitutes approximately 10% of the UK (defined by our regulator as Market A and to us a non-low cost area) whereas the other 90% of the UK is not regulated (known as Market B and to us a low cost area).

Please note: Plusnet reserves the right to reclassify non-low cost areas to low cost areas at its discretion; it shall not reclassify a low cost area as a non-low cost area unless required to do so under UK law. Prices, content and terms may change at any time during your contract. We'll tell you about important changes in advance, and if a change is detrimental you'll be able to end your contract without any fees.

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: Plusnet Low & High cost area
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 09:10:46 PM »

The answer to your question is Ofcom.

Funnily enough I was discussing on the Plusnet forums today, whether or not the non-lost cost Market A regulated prices actually apply to FTTC, I got the impression from the published BTWholesale price lists, and the WBA Statement pdf, paragraphs 7.70 and 7.71 in particular, that the regulated pricing only applies to IPStream Connect, not FTTC nor even WBC ADSL2+.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 09:40:04 PM »

Oh yes Ofcom but they only have a small limited thor hammer on BTw, the last time i checked with plusnet this line would be market A yet this exchange shows as BTw Pricing Band E  ??? as you can see i'm getting cheesed off with my local exchange.

So I'm going to call my local MP and see if they can investicate BTw and get some answers why this local exchange has not been regulated because this exchange does not provide me with the xDSL service it only provides me with the PSTN !

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 09:50:54 PM »

The regulated prices tend to be higher, this was supposed to encourage LLU investment, who could set up and undercut the high BT prices, and so get lots of customers, but this didn't really work.

It's the de-regulated exchanges that ended up with lower prices, where there was enough competition from LLU suppliers to not need price controls on BT.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 09:54:44 PM »

FYI Andrews and Arnold have the same thing, low and high cost areas. I used to be on a high-cost exchange because it was 20CN. With A & A, 20CN ADSL is charged at twice the rate per MB downstream compared to 21CN exchanges for daytime weekday 8:00-18:00 usage. Outside these times it's the same. There's no distinction for other types of access.

I'm now converted to 21Cn on this exchange, so this halves my weekday traffic bill. The saving is roughly £8 per month, perhaps less.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 10:05:13 PM »

It's the de-regulated exchanges that ended up with lower prices, where there was enough competition from LLU suppliers to not need price controls on BT.

Well this local exchange has no competition at all it's a BTw exchange no 21CN but the fttc/vdsl comes from a larger exchange which has competition 21CN and LLU suppliers but it's not passed down to me because of PSTN exchange.

Could I request a transfer of PSTN line number to larger fttc headend exchange it's 4.3km from me where as local PSTN exchange line is 1.8km ?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 10:25:16 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 10:27:54 PM »

Ofcom wont do jack about it sorry.

It was them that enforced the higher prices, as all they care about is allowing competitors to get a foothold rather than the consumers buying the service.  They have a weird motto that competition solves everything so thats all they care about.

On the flipside these areas are more expensive to provide services to and before the regulation were likely been subsidised by other areas anyway.

Also plusnet's own pricing isnt regulated, only the wholesale pricing is.  They are the only xDSL isp I am aware off that adjusts pricing for these areas.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 10:45:49 PM »

Could I request a transfer of PSTN line number to larger fttc headend exchange it's 4.3km from me where as local PSTN exchange line is 1.8km ?

Truthfully, yes you could request it. You would have to commit to paying a significant sum of money for it to be set up and then a significant monthly rental charge over and above the normal fee.  :(

If I wanted to have an Aberdeen telephone number, here at The Cattery in Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk -- or even a number that maps to San Francisco, California -- I could have one.  :D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 10:51:59 PM »

Truthfully, yes you could request it. You would have to commit to paying a significant sum of money for it to be set up and then a significant monthly rental charge over and above the normal fee.  :(

Why the extra costs it's only a difference of 2.5km ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 11:01:42 PM »

Because it is not normal practice and would probably be fulfilled by the installation of a private circuit.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 11:25:18 PM »

Because it is not normal practice and would probably be fulfilled by the installation of a private circuit.

That seals the call to MP Sylvia Hermon why should small exchange customers pay more for broadband than larger exchange customers something just dosn't smell right lets get this voiced in the house of commons  ;)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 11:31:23 PM »

Why indeed, agree with Newtronstar. Seems insane.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 11:36:21 PM »

I assume that in Andrews and Arnold's case the difference in costs between 20CN and 21CN exchanges is to do with the costs they are charged by BTW. So it's perhaps BT's fault, or A & A's in not doing wealth redistribution ( ;D ).

It's not right though. I can't say for sure who's at the bottom of it.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 11:53:07 PM »

A further comment on the above. Just supposing it is agreed. What good would it be to you? If you then decide to revert back to G.Dmt/ADSL2/ADSL2+ instead of your current VDSL2 service, it would be absolutely appalling. Think of the attenuation for a metallic pathway of that length. Both Walter (from his helping of the residents of Ewhurst and the Surrey Hills) and Weaver will be able to give you first hand experiences of local loops of such sort of length (and longer).

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 12:03:11 AM »

A further comment on the above. Just supposing it is agreed. What good would it be to you? If you then decide to revert back to G.Dmt/ADSL2/ADSL2+ instead of your current VDSL2 service, it would be absolutely appalling.

I'll never go back to ADSL it would be like going back to ZX Spectrum computing it was nice in the day and when it comes to technology never look back only if your having one of those nostalgic days.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6