Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 3dB downstream target SNRM  (Read 10825 times)

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: 3dB downstream target SNRM
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 11:21:15 AM »

weaver: I was running a billion 7800N on a long (~3.3km, underground except the dropwire) ADSL2+ LLU line (IIRC maybe operating in G.DMT) with the target margin set on the modem. It allowed me to get 5Mbps when the rest of the street (and indeed, village) was stuck on 3Mbps or less. It dropped about once a week on average.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 12:35:55 PM »

Hi

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but we have an adsl2+ line running at snrm of 2 att loop 25 on a draytek 2820 on g992.5 I believe with download speed of approx 18mb I think from memory, which shown an uptime of 110 days if I remember correctly, but I do have a picture of service status.

If you would like to see the picture, I would just need to blank any identifying details first

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 01:37:45 PM »

@d2d4j - thanks for that John ;D You can tell how long your connection has been up, which is a great advantage over my situation. I have no idea, apart from hoping I can spot resync or reconnection events.

And yes please, pic would be good.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 01:44:12 PM by Weaver »

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »

Hi Weaver

Please see pic attached (sorry, I read the post over posting attachments, but this is so small)

Also, we have many lines, from adsl2 to FTTC, LOS, VPN bonded etc... but too many to get all details on sorry

Many thanks

John

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 02:21:08 PM »

John, many thanks for pic.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 06:04:31 PM »

Which modem/router are you using weaver ?
Routerstats lite is compatible with loads of routers

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm

If you want I can post my old Dlink 2640B to you free of charge think that works with DSLstats
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 06:19:55 PM by NewtronStar »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 07:52:56 PM »

@newtronstar that's incredibly generous of you. I need to work out how to do the NATing runes necessary to map 192.168.1.1 in its /24 for each modem into something passed through the Firebrick router so that each modem's admin I/f is accessible. Accessible both to me and to Andrews & Arnold remotely should they wish to help diagnose things via the Firebrick. I've never done NAT with firewall rules before and I'm going to need some help from A & A. I also don't want the modems to be generally accessible to the LAN otherwise I will have to remember to set a strong password on the modem admin UI each time I install a replacement modem, at the moment because they are completely inaccessible then defaults will do fine. I might deal with this in another thread, not this one.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 08:02:59 PM »

Oh and I'm using three DLink DSL-320B-Z1 modems configured especially to order by Andrews & Arnold to be locked in ADSL2-only mode, not auto-ADSL2+.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 08:06:36 PM by Weaver »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 08:28:22 PM »

@newtronstar that's incredibly generous of you.

Well it's here if you need it, just a pity your stats are confined to A&A as you know we here love a gander into 24/7 dsl stats graphs  ;D

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 09:48:47 PM »

I've never done NAT with firewall rules before and I'm going to need some help from A & A

I use masquerading rules in iptables on a Billion router to access the modem stats via LAN1 rather than setting up static routes. The modem remains blind to both the internal network and the Internet that way, but can be accessed from a specified local subnet or host.  I can't see the equivalent iptable commands in the Firebrick manual so not sure how you would do that or even if it supports iptables.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 10:14:37 PM »

I can't see the equivalent iptable commands in the Firebrick manual so not sure how you would do that or even if it supports iptables.

I have a vague feeling, from my reading of the FireBrick documentation, that they use an operating system specifically written by Watchfront / A&A.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 10:18:32 PM »

I don't know that it is a *nix box, so no iptables. I suspect that you're right about an original o/s, although I don't know why. Looking at the FB boot loader system for example, it suggests originality somehow.

Goofair

• Just arrived
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 01:39:56 AM »

Well, I don't even from UK, so I don't know if my experience will be someway relevant for you
I live in a pretty bad area for ADSL (the telephone cables here is more than 10 years old and I never see any routine maintenance, just if something really fail)
Fortunately I'm close from the DSLAM, like 1 km, but my att is 32, maybe because of the age of these cables...

I'm testing a 3 snr target for 3 days and all is going fine until now (there is a lot of Super Frame and HEC errors, but no forced resyncs at all)

My actual stats:

I made a modem restart 2 hours ago to try some others tweaks to reduce the errors, but had no success. and I think it's because the line is much closer to max attainable Line speed
9184 is my line cap, so I can't get more than that anyway

I have chosen ADSL 1 (G. DMT) because I get a way better ping in this mode, like 19ms vs 50ms from ADSL 2+ with 64 bytes of interleave
The modem shows my G.DMT line as Interleave, but in fact there is not Interleave at all

Speed test:

I tried to make this text the better possible (even used a spell checker, but English is not my best language)  :-\
btw i'm from southeast part of Brazil.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 01:50:03 AM »

Welcome Goofair!   ;D

Goofair

• Just arrived
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 02:01:29 AM »

Welcome Goofair!   ;D