Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The lowest quarterly growth in broadband history  (Read 4395 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
The lowest quarterly growth in broadband history
« on: October 03, 2006, 03:48:31 AM »

According to a report dated 2nd October 2006 by point-topic, broadband growth for Q2 in 2006 has been the lowest ever.

Worldwide growth was 7.1%, whilst growth in Western Europe only managed to achive 5.64%.
DSL growth has gradually declined since Q3 2005.

China however seems to be the one exception, where 5.1 million broadband lines were added in the past quarter.

Full report at Point-Topic
The lowest quarterly growth in broadband history

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Accordion

• Reg Member
Re: The lowest quarterly growth in broadband history
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 08:07:07 PM »

I see that in Japan, there's a migration to fibre optics. I can remember when BT opened the first optical loop and it was many years ago. Here we are about a quarter century later and I'm still stuck in a village with insufficient cable capacity!!

So much for modernisation.

soms

• Reg Member
Re: The lowest quarterly growth in broadband history
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 11:14:49 PM »

Lets not forget Japan's love of new technology, they are truly some of the leaders in digital/technological living/advancement or though some of it is hardly desirable.

In the UK "Fibre to the kerb" isn't worth the effort or cost given what revenues are actually generated by domestic telephony and data services. In rural areas in particular it can be assumed that uptake of services would be similar to present and that fibre installation would be completely un-cost effective.

For that reason as much as we would all love to have a fast broadband connection and low contention, its not going to happen for the foreseeable future. Its not just the cost of the installation but also new equipment, retraining etc.

Whilst we might not get fibre, it seems that ADSL2+ could be a step in the right direction for making even more use of our existing copper orientated infrastructure, with a certain percentage of poeple perhaps reaching around 24Mbps or similar.

ADSL2+ should hopefully start to materialise after BT upgrade the core network to 21CN (21st century network) - which will replace legacy comms systems with new IP based infrastructure, hopfefully by around 2008.

anything