Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4602 times)

petef

• Reg Member
Hello
« on: January 02, 2016, 03:40:34 PM »

My internet connection recently improved with the arrival of FTTC in my village. It has risen from 3 Mbps to 7 Mbps. I feel I should be able to get rather higher with ADSL2+ but my modem cannot hack it. The present speed is adequate for my needs, I am not inclined to pay the extra for VDSL2.

My modem/router is a TP-Link TD-W8961ND. When it started resetting every few minutes Plusnet arranged for Openreach to call and they fitted a proper master socket and repaired a dodgy earth connection on the pole outside. I think that the resetting problem is a combination of the DSLAM raising the speed too aggressively and my modem being unable to cope.

The workaround I'm using now is to set the protocol to G.dmt and this has been stable. Prior to that I was using an old Netgear DG834v1 which was also stable but I see now that was because it does not do ADSL2. The Netgear has now died, it will not connect to DSL.

I am 150 m from a Huawei 288 cabinet and its PCP.

From what I read on this helpful site it looks as if I should get a Huawei HG612 from eBay and upgrade the firmware.

As a separate note about me, I run a website that comprehensively lists PAYG tariffs for UK mobiles.

--
Pete Forman
https://payg-petef.rhcloud.com

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 04:07:14 PM »

if you're on adsl of any type and are not inclined to upgrade to vdsl2, then the cabinet is irrelevant because adsl is still fed from the exchange.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 05:32:36 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

The workaround I'm using now is to set the protocol to G.dmt and this has been stable. Prior to that I was using an old Netgear DG834v1 which was also stable but I see now that was because it does not do ADSL2. The Netgear has now died, it will not connect to DSL.

There are three versions of xDSL that you could use -- G.Dmt, ADSL2 and ADSL2+. Looking at the typical DS synchronisation speed you have mentioned, I would suggest that you configure the modem/router to use ADSL2 mode (not 2+). It will use the same number of tones (sub-carriers) as G.Dmt but it will use them more efficiently. (Nowadays, usage of G.Dmt should be considered as a "last resort".)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

petef

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 05:44:21 PM »

There are three versions of xDSL that you could use -- G.Dmt, ADSL2 and ADSL2+. Looking at the typical DS synchronisation speed you have mentioned, I would suggest that you configure the modem/router to use ADSL2 mode (not 2+). It will use the same number of tones (sub-carriers) as G.Dmt but it will use them more efficiently. (Nowadays, usage of G.Dmt should be considered as a "last resort".)

I did try ADSL2 but that was as unstable as ADSL2+. I also tried disabling SRA (AFAIK OR do not support that) but that did not help either. Bitswap was enabled throughout but I did not see that it would help to turn it off, unless I am tickling a known bug.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 06:05:44 PM »

Hmm . . . puzzling.

In that case, I am not sure what may be happening with your circuit.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 11:47:42 PM »

Hi petef and welcome to the forums  ^-^
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything