Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Can I ask an expert about DLM  (Read 9647 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
Re: Can I ask an expert about DLM
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 07:02:24 AM »

nice catch by the others, I was going to say temporary noise but the attenuation change suggests something more.

Millie1

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 07:23:51 PM »

Thank you Miss Burakkucat

At least now if i ever get the ISP to agree to send an engineer AND if the engineer eventually turns up at least I feel a little more confident in saying
There must be a problem in the DSLAM  :graduate: look how smart you made me over night  :lol:

In the mean time I still have no internet connection. I have plugged into the OR test socket, I have changed wires, I have changed routers, I even changed my underwear  :-[
Still the routers all show me zeros

I just wanted to say thank you

Millie

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 07:36:11 PM »

Burrakucat is a 'Mr', Millie.  ;) :)

Millie1

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 07:47:47 PM »

The engineers have been booked twice with no show on both occasions. I asked the ISP why they did not show and they
said because they fixed it remotely ! :o
I am very gullible but not that gullible I can see its not fixed because I cant connect .. pfftttttt (frustration)   

Does it need someone special, a special engineer to fix the DSLAM ? Maybe they dont have any one available who can look at the circuit Dslam? Is there anything I can do to help fix the Dslam?

(EDIT) sorry I just looked up DLAM .. Its in the green cab at the end of my road which has a lock and key and only accessible to OR engineers. Let hope and pray the fellow who is booked on tomorrows appointment has the key and  can fix it

Millie
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:52:45 PM by Millie1 »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 07:50:33 PM »

No you can't fix the DSLAM. That's Openreach's domain. If you're getting nowhere you need to change to a quality ISP who will simply get on and sort it out for you.

Millie1

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 08:01:21 PM »

@ Weaver,

Well, I have had so many VDSL problems I'm thinking of going back to ADSL.
What ISP do you recommend.
However, if the problem is with the outside wires that OR manage how ever will I move forward ?  :-\
I read the stuff on Kitz so I kind of understand. But the wires are the wires and if they are FUBAR its not gonna change when I change an ISP :P

Lets see what happens with the engineer visit tomorrow.

Eternally the optimist
Millie

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 08:05:26 PM »

The engineers have been booked twice with no show on both occasions. I asked the ISP why they did not show and they
said because they fixed it remotely ! :o
I am very gullible but not that gullible I can see its not fixed because I cant connect .. pfftttttt (frustration)   

Does it need someone special, a special engineer to fix the DSLAM ? Maybe they dont have any one available who can look at the circuit Dslam? Is there anything I can do to help fix the Dslam?

(EDIT) sorry I just looked up DLAM .. Its in the green cab at the end of my road which has a lock and key and only accessible to OR engineers. Let hope and pray the fellow who is booked on tomorrows appointment has the key and  can fix it

Millie

Alas, there are more smoke and mirrors with ISP's and Openreach, that I wouldn't believe anything said, unless it was uttered by somebody in person face-to-face.

For info: The DSLAM will not be accessed by the Openreach engineer. He will only access the sister-cabinet to the DSLAM and carry out tests. If there is a fault within the DSALM (Faulty wiring, faulty port etc etc), then the engineer will request a 'Lift & Shift' (a new port over new wires) via our Diagnostic Centre of Excellence.

Only if there are no further spare ports available, will a LLUMS case be raised for a BT Operate engineer to be despatched to open the DSLAM, and look further into the situation.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:08:50 PM by Black Sheep »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 08:07:49 PM »

@ Weaver,

Well, I have had so many VDSL problems I'm thinking of going back to ADSL.
What ISP do you recommend.
However, if the problem is with the outside wires that OR manage how ever will I move forward ?  :-\
I read the stuff on Kitz so I kind of understand. But the wires are the wires and if they are FUBAR its not gonna change when I change an ISP :P

Lets see what happens with the engineer visit tomorrow.

Eternally the optimist
Millie

With the way your attenuation has been bouncing, there's a very good chance the issue is at one of the two Cabs. I can't speculate further as real-life testing is required to verify the source of the fault.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2016, 08:20:32 PM »

I can strongly recommend Andrews and Arnold, aa.net.uk, my own ISP. Lots of people like Zen a lot too. See ispreview for a list of top ten ISPs.

A & A are well known for kicking BT to get faults fixed, and if you let them take your problems on they will not let you down, they will fix it or die trying.

The way it should work is that the ISP should take on the fault and book BT Openreach or whoever to fix it. You don't have to worry about Openreach or try to do anything yourself. That's the way things are with a proper ISP.

Apologies for yet another shameless plug for A & A. I am notorious for recommending them at every opportunity, especially to people having trouble. But I don't work for them or anything like that, I'm just a very satisfied customer and I like to pass on the good news. See http://aa.net.uk/broadband-whyaa.html

You can chat to A & A customers and staff as well on their IRC chat room. See http://aa.net.uk/kb-irc.html

Take a look at their £25 Home::1 deal if you are a home user (not for businesses). See http://aa.net.uk/broadband-home1.html
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:27:31 PM by Weaver »

Millie1

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2016, 08:34:41 PM »

@ Blacksheep.
For info: The DSLAM will not be accessed by the Openreach engineer. He will only access the sister-cabinet to the DSLAM and carry out tests. If there is a fault within the DSALM (Faulty wiring, faulty port etc etc), then the engineer will request a 'Lift & Shift' (a new port over new wires) via our Diagnostic Centre of Excellence

I think OR already did a *lift and Shift or so I was told. What do you mean the DSLAM will not be accessed by an OR engineer?
As I understand it... the big cabinet has my FTTC connection. There is a little cabinet next to it. Im a bit lost on the lift and Shift stuff. I'm not a techy person. All I want is my internet to connect without dropping out for 14 hours at a time which I dont feel is unreasonable.

Why cant they fix it? You guys are obviously good at this stuff and can see by pics that there is a problem. All I want is my ISP and the engineer who knocks my door to see my pictures and say *hay I know what that is * !!

To simplistic I guess

Millie

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2016, 08:35:08 PM »

More people who are struggling simply need to be made aware that they have choices and that a vastly better experience is available by changing to a good ISP like Zen or Andrews and Arnold. If a user needs more reliability, who doesn't, their are options such as FTTP (true fibre), Virgin's coaxial cable in towns and multiple lines (which is what I do).

Having multiple lines can make you relatively bomb proof at a certain level, against routine problems. Of course a digger may come along and knacker both lines together, there may be a problem in the exchange or there may be a problem further away in the BT or whoever's network from the exchange onwards.

My point is not that this is necessarily for you, but that everyone has these kind of options, for no extra cost or modest extra cost per month. An extra line costs me £12 per month.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 08:36:24 PM »

Apol for unsolicited sermon,  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2016, 08:38:44 PM »

Definitely worth a "there he goes again". Yeah, I know, I know, and still no bloody commission! Where's my money?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 09:57:39 PM by Weaver »

Millie1

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2016, 08:41:44 PM »

@ Weaver,
I agree with your theory. I cannot get Virgin direct to my home. But that is why I was thinking of getting an extra line on ADSL so I can say to OR engineers *hay My ADSL line works why does my FTCC not work"

I will check your recommendations and  if they do a service in my area
Thank you kindly Sir

Millie

Millie1

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2016, 08:59:44 PM »

Thank You all for your input.
I will update tomorrow after the engineer attends or does not attend.
I have go because I am riding on my neighbours wifi as he was kind enough to give me his Wifi Password

At least I can now say something smart about the DSLAM I am grateful for that.

By the way I just tested a different Thomson VDSL modem -  router again and no connection  :no:

Millie
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything