Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Can I ask an expert about DLM  (Read 9629 times)

Millie1

Can I ask an expert about DLM
« on: January 02, 2016, 12:00:03 PM »

Hello again helpful folks,

I have been having a lot of disconnection issues with my FTTC service. My connection dropped for over 14 hours on 31st Dec, then droppped again for 15 hours on the 1st Jan (its dropped loads over the past months but thats another story)
On the 30th the OR engineer reset the DLM. I am 320m from the cab and only about 70m of copper to the telegraph pole so i should get reasonable speeds.

Somthing odd is happening to my SNR profile. On the 31st BTw siad I can support 38 Meg down which is correct as im on a 40/20 package. However on the 1st jan BTw speed and further diagnositic says my line can only support 8meg Down and my line stat where all over the place. I though to myself surely DLM cannot be that quick in adjusting to errors.

However it gets stranger! Today, after no connection all night, again,  ???  my stats are back ??  Take a look at the pics and see what you make of it. I would be very intrested in any theories? (from left to right, 31st Dec , 1st Jan and 2nd Jan

Ta Millie

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Can I ask an expert about DLM
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 12:48:54 PM »

Welcome to the forum Millie!

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 05:01:07 PM »

In the middle picture your attenuation has shot up to a very high value. This could be caused by a fault or maybe one wire of the pair was disconnected.

Millie1

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 05:59:36 PM »

Hi
Weaver thank you for the warm welcome.

Dray, I have been having connection drops the most of December. Not just little drops but for extending periods lasting upto 14 hours at a time. I agree that something strange is going on with the wiring. I have everything plugged into the OR mastersocket fitted by OR. The one with the DSL on top and the phone below and the filter inside. I am unsure where a wire would be disconnected because I have tried several RJ11 cables.
In the middle picture your attenuation has shot up to a very high value. This could be caused by a fault or maybe one wire of the pair was disconnected.
But how would that explain high values one day and then back to normal today?

Could a pair be disconnected outside my house due to the high winds and rain we are all suffering recently?

Thanks for your replies

Millie
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 06:03:02 PM by Millie1 »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 06:05:05 PM »

Yes, all it would take would be a loose or corroded connection which would disconnect when moved by the wind. Does your phone work ok?

Millie1

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 10:43:58 AM »

I tried the line quiet test and could'ent hear anything.
I took of the face plate and plugged via RJ11 and a filter into the socket the OR peeps use last night. Internet worked for a while but was down again by 7pm. Its been down all night. This morning, I changed to yet another RJ11 cable and its connected again.

I find it hard to believe that 4 or 5 RJ11 cables are the cause - thats how many i have changed. Sometimes I change back to one used previously and I get to to connect again. wish I know what to look at behind the face plate to see if something was loose in there.

By the way wind and rain horrendous this morning  :rain:

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 10:53:21 AM »

If you want to take some photos and post them here it will be easier to advise you what to do. There are only 2 wires carrying the phone and broadband usually.

Millie1

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 11:30:25 AM »

The face plate bit is my resposibility Right?  In the Pics I have taken it off. It does not have any wires connected. The wires are inside the other box behind the faceplate.

An the other bit still stuck to the wall is OR resposibilirty - Correct ?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 11:40:13 AM »

Yes, I think that's correct. Do you have any other phone extensions as they should be wired to the faceplate?

Millie1

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 11:42:58 AM »

No phone extentions

I dont really use a landland at all. cant be doing with all the PPI calls   ::)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 12:27:06 PM »

In that case I would say you have a line fault which will need an Openreach engineer to fix. The reset of DLM should have been a big clue to the original OR guy that there is a fault somewhere.

Millie1

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 01:30:04 PM »

Thank you

OR engineer due to attend tomorrow I will show him the pictures
Strange how it connects sometimes and then wont connect for hours or until the next day :(

Millie1

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 09:08:29 PM »

???

Engineer did not attend

I have tried 3 routers to conect to the internet .

The router stat page show zeros . I think that means DSL cannot find the servers but im unsure ?  Is this what the zeros mean ?
any advice appriciated
Thank you Millie

Millie1

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 09:10:08 PM »

:-\

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2016, 11:00:29 PM »

Yes, in both cases the modem/router was not "seeing" the device at the other end of the circuit (it's called a DSLAM) and so there was no Internet access available.  :(

From what you have described, it does seem as if there is an intermittent fault with the line.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2 3