Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Confusing Wiring - BB dropping when phone used  (Read 8729 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Confusing Wiring - BB dropping when phone used
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 12:56:48 PM »

There is a way out. I'll let someone else volunteer to tell you for me.

jarvo

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 12:58:59 PM »

There is a way out. I'll let someone else volunteer to tell you for me.

Pliers?!  :-X

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 02:59:13 PM »

Can you post a clearer picture of the connections within the BT66 please, i.e untangle the wires so we can see what is connected to what. If you could also indicate which cables go where and what you want the end result to be, we can better advise a course of action.

jarvo

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 03:03:48 PM »

Can you post a clearer picture of the connections within the BT66 please, i.e untangle the wires so we can see what is connected to what. If you could also indicate which cables go where and what you want the end result to be, we can better advise a course of action.

Certainly, but you'll have to leave it with me, as I won't be there until 16th Jan. 

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 03:19:54 PM »

In a nutshell, if you just want the master socket and one extension socket working, the simplest method is to crimp the 2 wires from underground to the blue/wh pair going to the master socket (which is probably how it is currently) cut any other connections to the underground cable. In the master socket connect the or/wh pair to terminals 2 & 5 of the removable faceplate. In the BT66 crimp the or/wh pair from the master to the bl/wh pair going to the extension that needs to remain. Grateful if BS could give that a sanity check.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:08:10 PM by licquorice »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2016, 04:31:13 PM »

No worries, Licq.  :)

The only problem with giving the advice before the actual photo's is that the cable colours may be different ?? If one extension is run via drop-wire, it would be connected on the Orange/White, if it's the later version of 4-wire being used as for the extension, it would be connected to the Blue/Orange.

Also, we have to consider if the occupier (or a previous one for that matter), has/d a second line installed, and if so is the circuit being worked on in the here and now actually connected to the second 'pairs' within the cable ?? Again, that opens up a whole new challenge regarding which colours to connect.

As always, I'm trying to quickly cover most scenario's not just our OP's, as we have lots of 'onlookers' who need to be in possession of the full picture before 'dabbling'. 

As you have said, Licq ....... pictures will be the best way forward to remove any element of doubt, or potential problems.  :)

jarvo

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2016, 04:42:01 PM »

I'm good with that Liqc. and BS. 

If you're happy for me to unravel the wires a little for a better picture of what's in there.  Then we can amend the pictures in here as necessary for others who may use this thread for reference.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 05:35:14 PM »

I perfectly happy with both Liquorice & Black Sheep's observations and advice but I am surprised that no one has "picked up" on --

Partner received a response via Email today from OpenReach stating "We cannot help you, please contact your ISP for internal wiring."

Quite simply the wiring in question is not internal, is not within the end-users domain but is in the Openreach domain, being on the PSTN side of the network demarcation point.  >:( 

I deduce that a prize numpty was responsible for creating that e-mail message, one who was looking for "extra points" to be added to her/his "reputation".  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jarvo

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 03:28:53 PM »

Hi All

Quick update. 

She had $ky retentions on the phone, and she managed to wangle a free new Sky Router.  She connected it up, and tested phoning in and out.  Voila ... no dropped calls!!! How strange.  Must have been a wonky router.

Still happy to post some updated wiring shots when I'm there next.   Thanks to all for the help thus far.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 03:47:07 PM »

Well I never ....... in all my years doing this job I have never had that scenario.  ??? A result's a result though.
Pages: 1 [2]