Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Openreach error message "T051:FAULT - Battery Contact" (again)  (Read 17571 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Openreach error message "T051:FAULT - Battery Contact" (again)
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2016, 06:11:43 PM »

Having taken a quick look at the log from A&A, it seems as if the individual messages are somewhat out of chronological sequence.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2016, 12:42:33 AM »

Tuesday morning, and line #1 cwcc@a.1 is still down. Openreach are taking their time, for all I know, the flooding over on the east coast has not helped.

Andrews and Arnold have not yet closed the other earlier fault on line cwcc@a.3, and "dipping blood" is visible. This is a pattern of red streaks showing coming downwards from the top on the CQM graphs of clueless - the control panel and Continuous Quality Monitoring server - which indicates PPP LCP ping packet loss. The packet loss means a line fault, errors corruption or over speed and congestion.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2016, 12:43:39 AM »

I can see from the logs on clueless that Openreach have been chased up and gently reminded.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2016, 08:23:58 PM »

Andrews and Arnold said:

Hi,

I've spoken to BT OR faults this morning. Fault progress update.

cwcc@a.3  They plan to work on this on the 13th.

cwcc@a.1   An engineer is planned to work on this either today or
tomorrow.

We are chasing BT regularly on these and unfortunately they keep
breaking their promises made on the phone. We'll keep you updated with any further information.

Steve

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2016, 08:29:01 PM »

Log for line cwcc@a.1 :

“Note
12/01/2016 17:03 - MACINNES, MALCOLM Notes - fast test2 tok, eclipse tok, no test and demo as no answer. piece of solder touching terminations on mdf TIME:12-01-2016 17:08:46”

Well,  clear enough in parts. Some of those things must be diagnostic tests, test programs.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 08:09:10 PM by Weaver »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2016, 08:36:23 PM »

An oft-common fault, as we are wrapping the wires around their pre-soldered MDF tags, we snap the wire off that won't be used and sometimes it falls down the MDF and will land across 2 pairs of tags ........ putting a contact fault on between two circuits.

The info you see in the notes basically backs up the fact the fault has been cleared using both Fast Test and Eclipse test .......... the MDF engineers are tasked with ringing the EU on resolution of a fault, but if memory serves, you don't use the PSTN side on your BB lines .................. hence the 'No test and demonstration as no answer', comment.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2016, 08:45:51 PM »

That's right, there's no PSTN equipment in these lines, and no microfilter.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2016, 08:52:13 PM »

I remember once that that I had a prototype wire-wrapped computer said that 2 + 4 was 5, until you pressed down in a particular chip, then it w its mind and said the answer was 7. Massive surgery on the machine, and a whole day wasted, then it was revealed that a six-inch long piece of bare wire was the cause, just lying inside the rats' nest of wire rap wire that the machine was made from.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2016, 08:54:15 PM »

What ?? You mean 2+4 isn't 5 ?? Can you provide proof please ? :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2016, 08:46:12 PM »

Returning to line cwcc@a.3

Note 15/01/2016 14:53:00 - Douglas Jack
===Ring ahead information
=== Primary EU contact name : Cecil Ward
Primary Contact no : 01471822xxx
What was the outcome of the call ? : No answer (VM left if available)
Call date & time : 1 5/01/2016 09:10
Secondary contact details
What was the outcome of the call to secondary contact no ? : Not able to ring ahead due to unusable contact details (mis sing/incorrect/faulty line)
===Ring ahead information ends
=== Service is now restored for the end customer and the line is testing ok to standards set. We need to make a subsequent visit to rectify an observed issue which is non-service impacting. The work required is Ug length renewal required. A55 has been submitted, and is located at A55 sent for Ug length renewal. The line has been proven good to an underground joint Battery contact was detected towards the end customer.
===Point Of Intervention notes
=== Between this point.. .
- Work Point: JB26
And this point...
- Work Point: JB26
Plant details...
- Plant affected: PR 50
- Plant type: ARM
Multiple Intervention?: N
===Point Of Intervention notes ends
=== Please see additional information Temporary clear by pair change and A55 submitted for length renewa l..
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:39:31 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2016, 08:58:59 PM »

Dubhghlas From OpenReach came to the house on Thursday. What a nice guy. He was polite and tolerant when I got things mixed up and made some silly mistakes. He phoned Janet and told her that some substantial length (82 m I think she said) of armoured cable needed replacing.

I thought that meant we were going to have to wait for ages to get the problem fixed. It seems completely ok now anyway, fingers crossed.

I can only guess what an A55 is. I'm hoping that they will get on with this and replace the whole properly length for me, as neighbours have been having PSTN faults.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:19:33 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2016, 09:36:09 PM »

If my understanding of his notes is correct, he managed to botch it somehow (? Good man!) to get the fault temporarily fixed. I know where the spot is that he's talking about. Near the bottom end of the Heasta Road, near Harrapul, there are some sheep fanks, a favourite spot for cable damage, where cable is lying inadequately buried where vehicles pull off the road onto some flat muddy ground.

Mrs Weaver tells me that Young Andy Heast has been ordering huge 40 ton lengths of tree trunks, ready to turn it into firewood, and the lorries carrying the wood have been told to bring it to the patch near the fanks. She hypothesises that these behemoths may be responsible for the recent cable damage.

But we have had similar trouble before, with BT cable being damaged at the Heasta fank, right near my house, where vehicles were pulling off the road, driving over the BT cable and damaged it. This was fixed by replacing a length of cable and burying it much more deeply and since then, no further damage.

Returning to the most recent trouble, I do hope that BT do the right thing for the whole community. Neighbours have been asking Janet if I am going to fix their problem.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:38:15 PM by Weaver »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2016, 09:39:10 PM »

They have no option but to do the right thing, Weaver ............ the job has been progressed for a cable-length renewal, that is what will happen.  :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]