Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: belkin dongle  (Read 5922 times)

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
belkin dongle
« on: March 17, 2008, 12:13:08 AM »

Had a fault last week when once sorted the end user tried to connect to their new 2wire router via their exitsting belkin dongles, one pc linked via the windows wireless network connection program ok.

The second pc wouldn't work this way, so tried via the belkin program (had been reloaded at the time). The belkin program listed signal from both the fusion output as well as the normal link.

But we couldn't get the wep code entered, There didn't seem to be a direct tab for the key, instead an array of where to enter the key, none of which would accept or hold the key.

Unfortunately as It was getting late I had to leave, but I'm curious in case this crops up again (also as my parents have the same dongle but connect via an unsecured link :-X)

soms

• Reg Member
Re: belkin dongle
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 07:37:24 AM »

In these extremely weird cases I always resort to looking for the latest version of the drivers.

The whole idea of wireless standards is that all this hardware should work fine, but in practice I agree often some wireless adaptor just won't work.

Some friends had a Belkin under Vista and it just wouldn't connect to their network, the connection would just error or disconnect and not come up again. I was using the latest the latest drivers at the time.

In the end I used a Voyager 1055 wirless adaptor instead and it worked first time with WPA encryption set up.

At home we use the same Belkin adaptors (all on XP) and they work fine.

Wireless seems to be just a total minefield  :hmm:

A work related example is when your laptop connects to the wireless fine and their machine just won't  ::)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 08:12:47 AM »

Another solution is often to choose the "Let Windows manage this connection" option that is *usually* present in most proprietary wireless tools. That way you can use the standard Windows interface for setting up the wireless, which is worth a shot, anyway.
Chris

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 11:52:56 AM »

Thanks for the response.

We did try the let windows manage this connection, as well as the repair, both with & without the belkin program running but no response.

The dongle did work before connecting to the original belkin router but the software was removed as the end user thought the dongle will only be conpatible with the same make of router so this reinstalled using the original cd.

My suspisions were a problem with the reinstall but I wasn't sure, otherwise thought I was missing something obvious

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 07:59:47 PM »

Back with the same problem, different pc.
Tried to get the wiondow program to connect but get limited or no connectivity, again it,s a belkin.
Only other clue is when it's supposidly looking for a connection, no light on the dongle (ok i know you lot are going to call me weired for this point but) I know it's not sending any signal because i can't feel it (Ican'tbe the only one to feel 802 signals, please)

Other wise it's a sky set up with a sagem router (no model number) ip code is 192.168.0.1 but can't get past the user name & password (tried admin,admin & password username & password as per isp letter & e-mail address & 2 alternete passwords, any ideas ?

ta

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 08:29:17 PM »

Back with the same problem, different pc.
Tried to get the wiondow program to connect but get limited or no connectivity, again it,s a belkin.
Only other clue is when it's supposidly looking for a connection, no light on the dongle (ok i know you lot are going to call me weired for this point but) I know it's not sending any signal because i can't feel it (Ican'tbe the only one to feel 802 signals, please)

You're not. I have always "felt" RF (around the 2-3GHz range) at the point where my spine meets the base of my skull. It feels slightly sore and tense (sometimes tingly) if I'm next to an AP - I thought I was losing the plot until I tried a test with a WRT54G (Talisman firmware) and I could tell when a friend increased/decreased the RF power output. I'd felt this years before when I worked with radars but I put that down to the high output power of the transmitters.

I always get rid of the Belkin software and let Windows deal with the wireless connection. Prior to that I had similar problems to those you're describing.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:46:09 AM »

Thanks Rizla I was wondering if it was some sort of conflict between the belkin & windows software. I was trying every possible combination via both programs, apparently it worked that am  :hmm:

Yet with my laptop, connected ok.

If I'm close to a dongle or laptop then I can feel it sometimes in my temples, we recently had a trial at work to do with our vans, it ment our logging on in the morling in one room, 30 odd wireless connections all in close proximity several of us found it very uncomfortable.