Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Web Hosting with Realtime Integration - Advice sought  (Read 3201 times)

GrantP

• Just arrived
Web Hosting with Realtime Integration - Advice sought
« on: June 11, 2008, 07:05:51 PM »

Please could anyone with expertise in this area offer advice on this one...

I am trying to assemble the infrastructure to support:

An IBM Lotus domino based website that uses a cascaded Name & Address Book
The website requires real-time access to an inhouse SAP Business One stock system on MS SQL2005 database.

We currently have a 6m/832k BT ADSL line and an 512k/256k Easynet ADSL line.

Am I better off speed wise to host the Domino site and a Replica of the MSSQL database on the hoster or real-time link back to the inhouse MSSQL database?  I assume SQL can easily do field level synchronisation without any third party intervention (I come from the easy world of Domino replication)

The initial requirement is Read Only access to the SAP system, but the plan is for Read/Write access in the not too distant future.

I am not smart enough to be able to know the limitations or be able to assess the performance impact of a remote access to our inhouse database versus the hosted replica.

In summary;
What is the best option for the location of the MSSQL database?
How easy is it to get MSSQL2005 to do real-time synchronisation of two iterations of the same database and how bandwidth efficient is this?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Mick

• Reg Member
Re: Web Hosting with Realtime Integration - Advice sought
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:26:35 PM »

I have no experience in MSWindows servers or databases, but from the architecture that you describe I would co-host website and replica SQL server.  The read/write access speeds in real time to the inhouse database would cause some very perceptible lag, which you will not be able to improve upon unless you are running fiber modems and Gigabit switches throughout.  (BTW, what do you get if you ping them at different times of the day?)

If you want to calculate the latency check the read/write speeds of your server's scsi drives and compare that with your 6 Mbps BT link (you did not say what's the contention on that line) or your glacial Easynet line speeds.

I have no idea what MSSQL can or cannot do, but on a *nix implementation you would probably hot-sync databases using a cron job.

HTH.
Regards,
Mick