Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Developments in 802.11ac and after  (Read 9246 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Developments in 802.11ac and after
« on: December 29, 2015, 01:11:20 AM »

I'm wondering if this is a good or bad time to buy into 802.11ac hardware. Are substantial improvements due in the next year or so?

My iPad 5 doesn't speak 802.11ac, so I believe. So that is a limiting factor anyway. I would definitely like a better distribution of coverage around the house. Janet has problems in the kitchen and in the bedroom's bay window. There is currently one Zyxel NWA3560-n WAP in the office upstairs, which shines down through the floor into the lounge below well enough, despite the foil-coated plasterboard on the lounge ceiling. There is a second TP-Link WAP mounted on the landing window which shines outside into the field. I am thinking about improving outside coverage, since for the moment at least I have no neighbours.

The horrendous price of a Ubiquiti multi-pack (~£730 - see AAISP shop - http://aa.net.uk/broadband-accessories.html ) is holding me back at the moment,  but one can only hope that the price will come down. I take it that with such Ubiquiti systems the three units in the pack act as a seamless single SSID, not multiple SSIDs as currently. In my current system I think I have to manually change over to select the appropriate SSID - I don't know if it will change over automatically unless the signal vanishes completely, whereas the ideal would be to have my iPad set up to pick the fastest performing audible WAP and have the WAPs 'associated' into a known group. I don't know how this kind of a Ubiquiti-type system works in detail, perhaps someone would explain the implementation details and correct terminology to me.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:51:12 AM by Weaver »

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: Developments in 802.11ac and after
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 01:17:55 AM »

I have limited experience of ubiquiti kit (was warned off of their ac gear on another forum). but when I did seamless roaming with netgear commercial grade WAPs it was a case of setting them all to the same ssid and it just worked.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 01:46:57 AM »

Penny drops, incredibly obvious point.

Is this something special to Ubiquiti ? If I set two of my Zyxel NWA3560-n WAPs to the same SSID, will I get the same joyful harmonious goodness?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:51:28 AM by Weaver »

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 02:05:27 AM »

might work, try it :)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 07:13:44 AM »

Usually a device will hang on to a wireless signal even when it's weak. On my Android phone I use an app called Best Wifi, this monitors the signal strength and checks if there is a stronger signal when it drops below a set level.

You can set all you're WAPs to the same ssid and password, although I don't think it will make the wireless device switch any sooner.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 09:43:29 AM »

when I did it with the netgear kit, I was wandering the office with an ISO download in progress on a laptop and it was seamlessly switching between the 3 WAPs. I was using intel pro tools to monitor the connnection.

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 11:36:54 AM »

Are you monitoring the Ubiquiti community forum? There's been a long standing debate about the arrival of true seamless roaming. I'm not sure it actually works yet.

I'm in the same situation as you and have considered the Ubiquiti Unifi range. My current received impression is that it is a very good office system mainly because of it's manageability. But for a residential situation the comparative lack of single user ac performance relative to its peers, and the requirement for a 24x7 server make it somewhat less attractive.

Steve

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 01:08:48 PM »

Server?

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 02:08:31 PM »

Server?

Unless something's changed the Unifi range don't stand alone like other APs. They need a server application running on a PC that provides the management infrastructure needed to administer them.

Steve

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 03:17:48 PM »

I wonder if that would be a suitable excuse to buy a Raspberry Pi.

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 05:54:14 PM »

I wonder if that would be a suitable excuse to buy a Raspberry Pi.

I've never tried to run the controller software on a Pi but it seems others have done so successfully. If I were to choose the Unifi range I'd probably install the software on one of the small NAS's here. I am personally a little uncomfortable with the concept of managing my domestic WiFi network with a 3rd party cloud based solution. Maybe that's just the dinosaur in me!

To be honest I'll probably just stick with ordinary web configured stand alone units from another manufacturer. I really don't need the management facilities of Unifi for a domestic situation.

Steve

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2016, 08:04:43 PM »

@currytop I'd like to find someone who could help me with a Raspberry Pi. If you could put me in touch sometime, I might be begging for a lot of handholding.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2016, 08:08:06 PM »

The prices of the Ubiquiti real top-end kit at the AAISP shop
    http://aa.net.uk/broadband-accessories.html
are a bit scary. How do they compare on price?

currytop

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 09:10:40 PM »

@currytop I'd like to find someone who could help me with a Raspberry Pi. If you could put me in touch sometime, I might be begging for a lot of handholding.

If I could help I would gladly, but I'm afraid I don't own a Raspberry Pi. A quick Google does seem to reveal a wealth of Pi tutorials and forums on the 'Net.

Steve
Pages: [1] 2 3