Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Extend Cat 6, is a Nighthawk overkill, & tidy comms?  (Read 2010 times)

dusf

Extend Cat 6, is a Nighthawk overkill, & tidy comms?
« on: December 29, 2015, 12:35:08 AM »

So although I managead to get Cat 6 cable for unterminated data points set up around the house during recent renovations (5 to every TV, cables for access points in different places) we had a nightmare of a time with our 'electrician' - first huge mistake was him getting Cat 6 instead of Cat 6 e, despite it being made clear several times, but we went with it as other work was being held up. The cables run back to a cabinet in the living room where we had an odd corner of space not being used.... at least they mostly run back there...

Anyway, on discovering this clown appears to have randomly scribbled numbers on the cables at their ends, this despite me recommending he labelled them beforehand, I bought a cable toner/tester and labelled the cables myself. Most of them do in fact run back to comms, but where we have just wall mounted a TV, over one frustrating evening testing and retesting we discovered none of the 5 cables there run back to comms at all, in addition to one on the other end of the room that would make a nice place for a VOIP phone.

At this I got up into our very cramped bungalow attic with the tester in hand, and although the cable loop I found does not reach comms, I was at least happy to find the cables were accessible and not buried in a wall etc. somewhere - not beyond this moron, believe me. There are about 5/6 in the loop I need to extend, and due to the various lengths of cables this character left in comms, there are a few more in there too. Doing this at comms where there is space is one thing, but in the cramped attic quite another.

Considering this the following seem to be the easiest way to extend these cables, but I wonder as they mentioned Cat 5e, would it limit the Cat 6 in anyway, or is there any reason to go for another kind of coupler?

£3.36 a pop if I order 10 or more.

http://www.gfiglobal.com/NETWORKING/Networking-Adapters-and-Connectors/Cat5e-Gigabit-Ethernet-Coupler-Max-Headroom#.VoHSU1mkEWt

I include this picture as there website was very slow to load this evening:

Some of you will have seen my thread trying to block Samsung TV updates by blocking a domain, which seems just not possible on my Zyxel. This has prompted me to get my hands on a DD-WRT router quicker than I had intended. Considering this router is intended to be hidden away in an enclosed comms, stud wall one side, two concrete walls, and one wooden door, and act as a backhaul for access points around the house, perhaps a Netgear Nighthawk X4, X6, X8 would be overkill for this? If so, is there something else you would recommend?

'Comms' is a spaghetti mess, I am going to upload some pictures tomorrow and you guys might need be able to give me some advice about tidying it up.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:37:10 AM by dusf »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Extend Cat 6, is a Nighthawk overkill, & tidy comms?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 12:40:26 AM »

Sorry, you don't mean cat 6e?

dusf

Re: Extend Cat 6, is a Nighthawk overkill, & tidy comms?
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 10:33:51 AM »

Sorry, you don't mean cat 6e?

My bad, I mean Cat 6a - Cat 6 augmented, this is what he was asked for, he installed Cat 6.

anything