Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SATA Controler/driver needed  (Read 25881 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
SATA Controler/driver needed
« on: March 16, 2008, 10:21:41 PM »

To enable me to dual-boot my Vista PC with XP I need to have a copy of the SATA driver to install at the XP installation (F6) etc.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find the right one (actually I don't know which is the right one)  from the Seagate web-site, it's probably there somewhere, but I can't find it.

Can anyone help please, the drive is a: ST3500830AS
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 03:16:41 PM by oldfogy »

soms

• Reg Member
Re: SATA driver needed
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 10:57:22 PM »

The driver you need to install Windows is not for the Seagate hard disk drive but for the motherboard SATA controller.

Often this driver is on the motherboard driver CD, supplied on a seperate diskette or can be downloaded from the motherboard manufacturers website.

Hope that helps a little

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 12:54:25 AM »

I think the drivers are on the support disk under drivers/Windows/Intel Matrix Storage Manager.  Bit difficult though during installation of windows if you dont have a floppy.
I had a similar problem when trying to install another OS.... due to you needing AHCI drivers when installing XP.

Couple of ways round it - I took the quick and dirty method setting the SATA mode to auto in order to install the o/s
(That way windows "just installs" without asking for the drivers).

Reboot the PC
Hit "delete" when booting up to get into the bios

FROM
> Integrated Peripherals
> OnChip IDE Device [Press Enter]

SATA Mode [IDE]

Mines now set as:-

> Standard CMOS Features
> SATA1 - ST3500820AS [Enter]

IDE HDD Auto-Detection
SATA1 [Auto]
Access mode [Auto]

Once the o/s is installed then you can then perhaps look at installing the AHCI drivers
- Guide here to switch from IDE to AHCI without having to re-install windows.
Since all is running fine and its still pretty damn quick I havent actually bothered and left it at Auto.
You'll see from the discussion in that thread above that for home use then you probably wont notice much difference...  and theres an awful lot of people out there that have left their drives set the same due to the SATA/Windows installation problems.

Whilst doing a search though Ive just come across this which shows you how to make a new "windows install disk" which contains the drivers.

Install Windows XP on SATA without a Floppy
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 12:58:47 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 02:47:13 AM »

Thanks Kitz.

Yes there are "LOTS" of different drivers on the disk, the problem is I'm not sure which are the right ones and the help file is so big and you need to jump from one section to another to try and follow what it is saying that is where I'm having problems.

I don't think there is a problem with my USB floppy as Norton Ghost managed to read it earlier when I had to use it from boot-up (to re-do the system "again")

If it's any help the MB is a "MS-7502
and the info from Disk Manager is showing as " Intel (R) ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller" Driver version 7.6.3.104

I did try altering the BIOS to [IDE] but that didn't work because of possibly not having the correct driver.
So also not much point trying the other options without the correct driver also.

Obviously any help is much appreciated.

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
Paul

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 08:06:34 PM »

Hi, Sata drivers will be on the CD disc provided by the motherboard manufacturer.
They may be listed under the chipset drivers.
As the drivers normally need to be installed by floppy disc, a floppy disc is also normally provided, containing the drivers.

The MS7502 reference was a bit vague in order to locate the correct ones for you.
Bear in mind that modern boards automatically allows XP to recognise Sata drives due to BIOS improvements with the chipset. This may or may be not relevant with your motherboard.
If you are not sure of the full details of the motherboard in use, try running the Belarc Advisor.
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

exo

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 11:12:52 PM »

1. Hi, Sata drivers will be on the CD disc provided by the motherboard manufacturer.
2. The MS7502 reference was a bit vague in order to locate the correct ones for you.
3. Bear in mind that modern boards automatically allows XP to recognise Sata drives due to BIOS improvements with the chipset. This may or may be not relevant with your motherboard.
1. Yes there are "LOTS" of different drivers on the disk, the problem is I'm not sure which are the right ones ....... and I'm having problems. As it happens I had chosen the correct one as it happens to start with but the USB floppy. "Although very complicated instruction's"
2. Most people who purchased this PC are finding the same problem with the Micro-Star site.
3. Thats because it's a Medion. "When there are no problems everything is great, but try to buck the norm and it does not like it.

PW.Thanks that worked a treat.
Simple DL and ready to extract straight onto a floppy.

I don't think there is a problem with my USB floppy
Wrong, this was part of the problem as XP does not recognise the USB during install.
But a quick install of a hard wired floppy soon got around that (once the BIOS eventually recognised it)

The good new is: :thumbs:
XP loaded and I eventually managed to get all but one devices working.
The driver on the disc for the "Ethernet" (LAN) card is the wrong one and at the moment I'm not sure which card it is. (no info)
But at least I managed to get the wireless router and internet connection working, so that was also a good start.

The BAD NEWS is: :o
15 minutes ago I installed the wrong LAN driver (because I chose to ignore the warning)
And now it will not boot past the logon screen even in safe mode (the keyboard has frozen) obviously a driver conflict problem as I am at this very moment using the same keyboard through a KVM switch on my other networked PC.

Also I can't even get back to log into Vista.

So no at the moment not a happy bunny. :comp:

But many thanks to everyone for their input which at least did get it up and running to begin with.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 04:55:37 AM »

>> I did try altering the BIOS to [IDE] but that didn't work because of possibly not having the correct driver.

Strange - it worked ok on mine without any problems. 

You shouldnt need any drivers if you set the BIOS into IDE compatability mode?
All you should need to do is set it into IDE mode from the Integrated Peripherals section.

Then you should be able to do a straight forward install using the windows CD as normal, which will already have Intel IDE drivers on it.

>> Yes there are "LOTS" of different drivers on the disk, the problem is I'm not sure which are the right ones ....... and I'm having problems. As it happens I had chosen the correct one as it happens to start with but the USB floppy. "Although very complicated instruction's"

These are the ones that I have

Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager
Win Vista x64/Win Vista x86/Win XP/Win XP Media Center/Win XP x64
27.07.2007      -     Version: 7.6.3.1004

Download from
http://www1.medion.de/downloads/download.pl?id=5302&type=treiber&filename=intel_matrix_storage_7x.exe&lang=uk

If you unzip that file, as well as the setup.exe theres also a separate folder which contains the F6 Install for Floppy Drives

I know its a bit late now - but perhaps worth saving for a later date.

>> The BAD NEWS is I installed the wrong LAN driver (

oooh dear :/   :cry2:  :'(

I believe these ones are the ones you need.

Network Driver Intel® PRO/100, PRO/1000
Win 2000/Win Vista x64/Win Vista x86/Win XP/Win XP Media Center
27.07.2007      -     Version: 12.1.14.1720

http://www1.medion.de/downloads/download.pl?id=5301&type=treiber&filename=lanintel_pronwo10gbe.exe&lang=uk

Glad I didnt bother with the AHCI drivers and opted for IDE compatability mode, Everything installed straight off for me.   I dont have time to mess right now but grabbed the files so I could do the changes later. .  Doesnt help that my monitor is out for RMA and Im looking at a diddy 15" screen when Im used to working with dual monitors.   So thats going to have to wait till 1) I get a decent monitor 2) I have more time.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 09:06:45 AM »

OF - get to the menu where you would choose "Safe mode".

Instead, from that menu choose "Last known good configuration". It should then go back to the last time your system managed to boot successfully and allow you to carry on and install the correct LAN drivers!
Chris

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 11:04:04 AM »

Hi, without the correct information about your motherboard, we can't give any advice as to which are the correct drivers.
The MS 7502 appears to refer to the chipset and not to the motherboard model. A search at the MSI site for MS7502 results in nothing found.

If you run the Belarc Advisor that I mentioned in my last post, it will help identify the motherboard in use.
Failing that, can you at least give details of the make/model of the computer?

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 12:46:13 PM »

OF

try the LAN driver off that link i posted.

Paul

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 04:48:34 PM »

@ Exo

Its a medion OEM version.  Ive seen this happen before with medion and not just with mobos where they have their own "versions" that arent available elsewhere. :/

Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-7502 Fab D
Serial Number: OEM
Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 12/26/2007

The links I gave were the Medion specific ones for the Medion MD8833
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 08:37:26 PM »

Kitz:
>> Strange - it worked ok on mine without any problems.
This is me we are talking about, if it can go wrong, it will go wrong.

>> I believe these ones are the ones you need. Network Driver Intel® PRO/100, PRO/1000 Win 2000/Win Vista x64/Win Vista x86/Win XP/Win XP Media Center - 27.07.2007      -     Version: 12.1.14.1720 Perfect and thanks again.

Chris:
>> OF - get to the menu where you would choose "Safe mode" from that menu choose "Last known good configuration".
I Tried that but no good, after I got to the desktop screen,  the mouse and keyboard locked-up, "obviously a driver conflict with installing the wrong LAN driver.

Exo.
Your input is much appreciate as always, but no doubt you have seen Kitz's explanation by now.
Some people say that Medion deliberately withhold their information so that people have to contact them.

PW.
Thanks but I tried Kitz's recommendation first which worked, but don't forget your earlier suggestion worked a treat which got me a lot further along than I had on my own account.

*******************  *******************  *******************  *******************

Now finally and hopefully, as I now know I can get it working with XP and with the programs I want.
(I'm not bothered with the Multi-Media stuff that came with it because if necessary I could always run that from within "Vista" )

I know I can get back to Vista with my Ghost image or factory reset copy, and I know I will have to re-install XP at some time because I would like to change the drive letters to what I want. Basically:
C: = Vista. - D: = Recover - E: = XP and F: = My Files, "this being the current Vista setup", Since installing XP they are now:
C: = Vista. - D: = Recover - H: = XP and I: = My Files, but I would prefer to have "E & H and F & I" as the same drive letter which is less confusing.
This unfortunately came about because I did not disconnect the card reader before installing XP,

I know I will have to re-install XP at some time, but for obvious reasons I would prefer to make sure that the system will work (dual boot) before I set it up properly (finally).
But how can I get to Vista before re-ghosting.

Unfortunately, "EasyBCD 1.7.1 will not work from within my XP and I cant get back into Vista to try and setup (fix ) the boot sequence.

exo

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 08:55:27 PM »

OF

If you still get stuck, try putting details into the below link.

http://www.medion.co.uk/service/?ukshop

Click on the Drivers & Updates top left margin and type in the details required.
If you are taken to the drivers/manuals pages, let us have the links so we can have a look.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 09:08:58 PM »

I tried that yesterday and it did not even recognise the serial number or model number.  :lol:
Because it's that new I don't think they expected people to be looking for drivers etc at such an early stage.
The main problem is the LAN driver supplied on the disk "is the wrong one"

Update:
Vista is now back up and running using one of the earlier tips from another of our helpfull members posted by "Soms"

Restoring Vista and dual booting
http://apcmag.com/5485/dualbooting_vista_and_xp#restoring
Pages: [1] 2

anything