Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Exchange upgrades  (Read 18563 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Exchange upgrades
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2015, 03:44:53 PM »

Update: two lines went over to ADSL2+ today and I am now on 21CN BRASs. The third line is to be  done tomorrow. One very pleasing improvement is the extra downstream speed which is now free of the ADSL1 banding and measured at 6.27 Mbps this afternoon (lacking the improvements due on line 3), but a big surprise was the huge upstream improvement. The compound upstream throughput now measures at 1.29 Mbps whereas before it was ~0.7 - 1.0.

When the third line is ready, I will be able to switch modems to MRU/MTU 1500 since the DLinks  and Firebrick speak RFC4638 (ie. using slightly oversized frames containing a 1508 byte payload aka baby jumbo frames).

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #76 on: December 23, 2015, 03:50:30 PM »

@WWombat - very good of you to remind me of that BT presentation which is very impressive - boy did they ever put some work in. Thanks.

> I can point you to a picture for your neck of the woods - at least for the major cross-country routing. Judicious comparison of the map vs SamKnows exchange-mapping will probably tell you which exchanges form the unnamed nodes in the network...

Could you explain a bit?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2015, 05:46:18 PM »

All three lines have now gone over to 21CN BRASs and are speaking ADSL2 at d/s sync rates between 2400 and >2700. The compound d/s sync rate is now measured at 7.30 Mbps, u/s sync was 1.37 Mbps today. Where the extra d/s sync of another 1 Mbps has come from, I do now know. As I said before, the upstream is a pleasant surprise.

Just tested MRU and MRU 1500 works as it should now, for the first time, since it required 21CN in conjunction with the DLinks' support of RFC 4638.

Especial thanks to Mr ejs, Mr Burakkucat, et al whose keen eyes the other week, in spotting that the exchange had been done, made all this possible just in time for xmas.

So, I need to wish you all

nollaig chridheil dhuibh uile!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 07:26:35 AM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2015, 06:17:06 PM »

b*cat bows and vocalises --

どういたしまして。

:)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2015, 07:28:47 AM »

Oh and Thanks ejs.

Also to BlackSheep, WWombat and to all those who should also be included, my apologies.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: December 27, 2015, 08:16:17 AM »

Yes, but an ISP can only provision a line as ADSL1 or ADSL2+. I think on newer exchange equipment, choosing between ADSL2+ and ADSL2 is either done automatically each time it connects, or it makes no difference anyway. My own 58 dB line is on presumably older TSTC 21CN equipment, and automatically will always end up operating as ADSL2+, but I get slightly more downstream and upstream bandwidth if I choose ADSL2.

If the line is provisioned as ADSL2+, then you can configure your modem for ADSL2 (or even ADSL1) yourself.

My experience is very similar to that of ejs. Slight increase in downstream on ADSL2 compared with ADSL2+, a few percent. But could go slightly either way as far as upstream goes.

God, ejs is 10dB better than me!

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2016, 01:34:01 AM »

I'm now enjoying a new downstream speed record of 7.63 Mbps combined. Had a problem with one of the lines, which may now be fixed as its speed looks as healthy now as the other two, sync on the three lines is ~ 2700 - 2900.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2016, 04:20:32 AM »

> I can point you to a picture for your neck of the woods - at least for the major cross-country routing. Judicious comparison of the map vs SamKnows exchange-mapping will probably tell you which exchanges form the unnamed nodes in the network...

Could you explain a bit?

Only that the map in the presentation names a few locations for the old/new WDM nodes, but not all.

The SamKnows website has an exchange-search page here: https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search
When used, it can lead to a mapping page like this one: https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_mapping?olo=WSBRD
Zooming-out the map can show surrounding exchanges.

Using the Samknows site, with named WDM nodes, you can see enough neighbouring areas (eventually) to guess where the unamed nodes are located.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2016, 04:31:22 AM »

@WWombat  - many thanks
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

anything