Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: AAISP - 'expensive support'  (Read 2485 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
AAISP - 'expensive support'
« on: December 26, 2015, 01:35:19 PM »

I'd just like to praise Andrews and Arnold support staff this morning who diagnosed a fault within a few minutes. The fault was fixed by BT within an hour or so on Boxing Day.

Who were these fantastic stuff? They were me! I diagnosed the fault myself using the tools on clueless.aa.net.uk, the Control Panel. I did a copper line test, which found the fault and reported back "BT test - battery contact fault".

Just so people know, "expensive support" just doesn't cover it. In the middle of the night I have access to a massive range of tools on A & A and BTW servers. It's a unique situation in my experience, where an ISP trusts and respects its customers enough to let them get behind the wheel and put their hands on the controls. This is one of the reasons why I pay for 'big money', but only one, and the money isn't that big: a copper line costs about £12 per month, I pay £10 more on top of that for BTW Premium traffic prioritisation, and I pay for BT Openreach Enhanced Care on one line in case of natural disasters.

I do apologise for whimpering on about how good they are, but today they is me and I'm good.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 05:08:48 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: AAISP - 'expensive support'
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 02:16:01 PM »

« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 02:19:01 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 05:05:15 PM »

??? :no:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 11:45:28 PM »

Btw DLM has punished me for the fault earlier. It has knocked half a Mbps off the speed of that line. It has gone down from 2.5 to 2.0 Mbps.

* I wonder how long it will take to recover?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 09:06:19 PM »

Glad you got it sorted. :)

What was it do you know?

----

I dealt with a line fault just before xmas for someone who rang me up and said they needed help with their broadband. (17Mb down to 2.5 Mbps)   Said gentleman is elderly and doesnt have much of a clue about anything and a bit deaf... so I offered to ring Plusnet on his behalf.   I was pleasantly surprised as the call was answered within 2 mins.   One thing I noticed during the call was the line was dreadful - something the EU hadnt noticed too much himself. 

I explained the situation to Plusnet..  said I'd done the install and was confident that the internal wiring was ok although I couldnt physically visit the premises due to having a broken foot.     They took my word for it and after a quick call to the EU to confirm that any charges for internal problems would be passed on to them, they arranged for a Openreach visit.    I left a list of things for the EU to say to the engineer.

BToR engineer arrived next morning and replaced the drop-wire which looked like it had got damaged from the recent storms weve been having up here.

Phone worked perfect and more or less full sync again but with a 10dB SNRm (probably 9db target).     The DLM is still slowly recovering.   My fault as I forgot to tell the EU to ask for a DLM reset..  but all in all about the easiest fault Ive dealt with in a while.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 09:16:48 PM »

Unfortunately, it failed again a few days later. Currently am waiting on a fix due tomorrow, escalated within BT and a second engineer is booked to come out (but not to see me).

See http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,16672.0.html

Story now transferred to ^^^^

anything