Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: test socket  (Read 2315 times)

rico45

test socket
« on: December 29, 2015, 05:13:48 PM »

would it be possible to have sync in the faceplate (albeit 0.300kbps) with dial tone but no sync in the test but have DT in the test .then connect only new filter and only the router connected into the test and still no sync , put faceplate back on and voila sync? if this was possible what would the cause be? secondly could  a virgin engineer take over a BTO nte? for their use..... :fingers:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: test socket
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 05:56:08 PM »

For the symptoms you have described, I would be suspicious of both the centralised filter and the NTE5/A. I would consider replacing both items.

What is the history of that circuit? Could you add some more details, please?

As for your second question, I am uncertain of what would be the correct procedure.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 06:27:18 PM »

would it be possible to have sync in the faceplate (albeit 0.300kbps) with dial tone but no sync in the test but have DT in the test .then connect only new filter and only the router connected into the test and still no sync , put faceplate back on and voila sync? if this was possible what would the cause be? secondly could  a virgin engineer take over a BTO nte? for their use..... :fingers:

I'm struggling with Q1, but as regards Q2 ...... yes, we use their back-boxes and replace their front-plates for our own if it's frugal and best practice to.
It means we/they can 'pick up' the internal extensions at this point if there are any, and it saves drilling, plugging and fixing another unsightly NTE.

The gentlemanly thing to do, is to leave VM's feed wire tucked away in the back box, and not cut it completely off leaving it too short to reconnect should the EU return to them. Of course, the same should happen in reverse.  :)

rico45

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 11:06:44 AM »

the original cp was virgin and there is only 1 nte why i asked could BTO work off this then we had noise on the line with an LL1 engineer going out to find the modem was losing sync when the phone was in use and vis versa he was able to increase the voltage from 52 to 62 db but i thought if there is going to be sync it would always be in the test socket but never heard of it being only in the faceplate and not in the test ?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 04:02:03 PM »

I must admit that I am struggling to rationalise what could be the cause of the symptoms that you have described.  ???

If in doubt replace it all with new would be my next step.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 04:11:43 PM »

The only possibility I can think of is that the faceplate plug is physically slightly larger than a filter plug and is making a better contact with the test socket than the filter plug. Clutching at straws though. I assume you have tried more than one filter.

rico45

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 01:54:25 PM »

engineer LL14 for next week  booked so will come back with the outcome ........

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 01:57:26 PM »

Can you try with no filter and no phones?