Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: iPad typing impossible - the cable of death  (Read 5082 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
iPad typing impossible - the cable of death
« on: December 25, 2015, 07:41:18 AM »

The other day my iPad 5 became suddenly unusable with the virtual pointing device whizzing round the screen clicking on all sorts of random things if you touched the screen anywhere. At first I thought mistakenly that it was just the virtual keyboard, until I went into settings and saw it selecting the wrong items all the time.

I began to panic, thought my iPad had a deathful hardware disease. Then suddenly it came to me. Thirty years ago I had a machine that started running incredibly slowly, and when you fired up a command line, auto repeat didn't work right and the machine started typing garbage itself.

The answer back then was a printer cable with nothing connected to the end of it that was just plugged into the back of it. Removing it cured the problem.

Back to 2015. So too with my poor iPad. A lightning cable was plugged in to charge the machine. Took it out, all good. Binned the evil genuine Apple cable quick.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: iPad typing impossible - the cable of death
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 12:49:59 AM »

I have seen a similar problem with a Centronics cable on some early IBM clones (gives the age away  ;D ) where the PC would not boot until the cable was connected to a printer or removed.
Thought that unterminated cables was a problem from the past !!

Goes to show that old problems are being recreated by yet another generation that fails to learn from what has passed before  ;D ;D
Every generation thinks that they know it all and the last generation were idiots  ;D

Very surprised that it was an apple cable, I thought they were engineered to always work, virtually even through a EM Pulse <jk> (At least they charge you as though they would  :D :D )

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 01:22:55 AM »

@Aardvark Thirty years ago, your story was the same as mine exactly, either a Dell 286 machine or an IBM PC AT (the real thing) can't remember which. Thanks for that!

This Apple cable was not unterminated btw. It was plugged into something supposedly. I assume it had just gone bad somehow, perhaps physical damage.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 01:54:17 AM »

Probably the same brand of machine :)
I cannot remember now ..... used many brands which are no more.
Worked for a company called P&P (also no more) and saw lots of kit which changed every 3 months. :)

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 08:40:42 AM »

Did you try plugging the cable back in? It may have just have got confused some how.

I've seen similar on Windows, where it appears locked up but seems to store up all the key presses then suddenly decides to start processing them all and then all multitude of things happen.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 09:22:47 AM »

@ronski - this nightmare went on for a couple of hours. I rebooted the machine, and so on. I can't remember whether I pulled out the cable or not, unfortunately.

anything