Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: problem with mac loading firmware for Netgear modem  (Read 4761 times)

damo

• Just arrived
problem with mac loading firmware for Netgear modem
« on: March 03, 2008, 09:57:24 PM »

Just joined TalkTalk and trying to get my wireless (netgear DG834v3) going.  Looked at loads of threads suggesting upgrading firmware to V4.01.28.  I have downloaded the file but it will not open - it says 'no mountable file systems'.  What does this mean?
Any fixes/suggestions? 
Is this a Mac related problem - if so it is a first for me.
Got all of the codes to adjust/optimise router settings once firmware upgrade in place.
Same router worked fine with Wanadoo broadband 6 weeks ago!

Really appreciate pearls of wisdom...

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: problem with mac loading firmware for Netgear modem
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 10:34:40 PM »

Hi and welcome.

How are you trying to upgrade the firmware? If you're doing it from the normal web interface, then that error message suggests that the firmware download is corrupted, so I suggest that you try downloading it again.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 04:46:16 AM »

>> Same router worked fine with Wanadoo broadband 6 weeks ago!
>> Just joined TalkTalk and trying to get my wireless (netgear DG834v3) going.

Do you know if any router will sync?

Also make sure that you have the following settings correct

Protocol/Encapsulation :- PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
Multiplexing method: VC-BASED or VC-Mux
(On some routers the above 2 settings may be combined as "PPPoA VC-Mux".)
VPI = 0
VCI = 38
DSL Standard: G.dmt
Security Protocol: CHAP

Particularly check the PPPoA / VCMux settings

BTw dslams are a bit more forgiving than LLU* if you use PPPoE / LLC Based.
Whilst some dslams will allow PPPoE - this is will usually be because its actually emulating/using PPPoE over PPPoA.

If you are attaining sync but having problems viewing sites - it could be that you need to lower your MTU settings.
I'm afraid with not being a Mac user I dont know how to do this on a Mac machine - but try MTU of 1400

Finally... there have been an awful lot of TT/AOL users reporting over the past few weeks that they havent been able to attain sync and having had several days of downtime.  :(

------
*Exception: - Be
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

damo

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 10:24:57 PM »

Eric
tried to repeat download from the netgear website but no joy.  Is it likely to be a compatibility problem with Mac?
Would I be more successful if I do this all via a PC (I could borrow a laptop to do it?).

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 10:38:18 PM »

It really shouldn't be anything to do with the Mac. You're just loading a binary file into the router, using its own browser interface to do it, so it should work the same with any OS.

Actually though, I think Kitz made the real point, to check that you have the correct router settings and to try a different router (to make sure that you can actually get sync now that you've moved over to TT). The current DG834G firmware should work if the line is OK, even if its performance isn't optimal.
  Eric

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 11:20:03 PM »

Yep.... it's a Mac problem. I don't have a Mac but I can see what the problem is here!

The Netgear firmware is stored in a .DMG file, which is the same file extension as a Mac OS disk image.

When you download the firmware (download it to your desktop), you do not try to open it. If it is still a ZIP file on your desktop then you need to Ctrl-Click it and Expand the file (probably with Stuffit Expander). The firmware file should look like a grey drive icon on your desktop.

You then need to visit the router's webpage at http://192.168.0.1 and find the correct menu to upgrade the firmware. When prompted to find the firmware file, you need to select the firmware file from where you extracted the ZIP download.

Hope that helps, sorry I can't be more specific, but I haven't got a Mac so I can give you specific instructions.
Chris