Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zen has their tuppence worth about the vagueness of the Snoopers' Charter  (Read 5415 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Zen has their tuppence worth about the vagueness of the Snoopers' Charter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 08:27:19 AM »

Fair point about distinguishing between GCHQ and 'lower level' access to the data, I accept that distinction, and the risk of 'wrong hands' getting hold of it.

The trouble for me is, I feel an awful lot of our data has already fallen into the wrong hands, and will continue to do so every day, perfectly legally.   I refer to organisations such as Google and other online data-collectors, and also the likes Supermarket data collections, insurance databases and the likes. 

I'm not suggesting that two wrongs make a right but as long as we are where we are with commercial data-mining, I just feel it's all a but of a lost cause... So if the data is useful to police, I'm not too resistant to them having it too.  I  find it surprising if people trust Google and the supermarkets, as custodians of our data,  more than they trust the police and the government.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 08:52:12 AM »

The supermarkets and insurance Co etc only mostly know what you tell them.  Google I'm more suspect of.  Wouldn't be surprised if they mapped Street map to things like ip or router info to addressee etc.   

But the new bill appears to be everything you do ... copies of emails, any friends lists whatever the app.   What sites you browsed and the pages you looked at. If it's capturing all data what about when you look at your online bank statements,  what bills you paid.... therefore how much electric etc you use.   What tv props you stream, what apps you download, what you say to your friends in any messenger app.  What items you buy. What you type on forums.  Things like mobile phones also connect to wifi ... just about everything about you could all be held at one source.    A source that may not be secure and an obvious target for someone to go for... a complete profile of you, your life and possibly every move you make could even be logged.

The video weaver posted the other day showed that even the issue didn't know the extent of this and why they needed clarification.   The storage will be enormous.

That is why there are objections.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 09:08:07 AM »

The ignorance of those in power is scary too. That they should want to assert control over a big part of our lives without understanding the subject and therefore without understanding the implications, that's not good, not good at all. King Cnut meets Joe Stalin.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2016, 12:52:15 AM »

It i think really all boils down to the saying "Knowledge is power" What we do online isn't their business as long as it is within the law, This isn't good enough for them, now they want to basically spy on us all regardless,  but they want to be exempt from it,why is that,do they have things to hide?  We should resist this fight it tooth and nail privacy is our human right

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 12:53:41 AM »

Agree with tommy45.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything