Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT I-plate 'noise reduction' (bell wire filtering without removing wire)  (Read 14817 times)

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK

Just for interest...
BT are currently trialling their I-plate (Interstitial Plate) it filters the bell wire for those that don't want to remove it.

The I-plate fits between the removable NTE5 faceplate and the main body.
Pictures: www.hmmm.ip3.co.uk/iplate.shtml

mr_chris

• Kitizen

I'd heard about that, not seen one though - nice one for the pics :)

Although it does make your NTE5 rather bulky - and then imagine fitting a faceplate on top of that!! lol

Still, nice to see BT are actually (albeit slowly but surely) recognising and doing something about some of the tricks that have been discovered to help the ADSL signal.
Chris

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK

If you are already running a faceplate filter then you won't need the I-plate...

soms

• Reg Member

Hmm, havent seen anything about this I-plate anywhere.

Last year BT designed a new front plate with a bell wire filter, which is now in common use. Am I wrong or do they both do the same thing?

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=1356.0

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK

The difference is with the I-plate the customer doesn't have to touch any wiring - I think BT are hoping this means they/providers can supply them for self install.

setecio

• Reg Member

They must be viewing the bellwire as a substantial cause of adsl problems to be introducing this device instead of focusing on the full filtered NTE5 faceplates, and that once the bellwire is filtered out it fixes the a large proportion of faults caused by the internal wiring.  Yes, it is a self install device, but unless it was having a major impact, why would they bother with issuing it ?

Interesting. I wonder, when comparing faults cured by this bellwire filter vrs  faults not cured by bellwire filter but fixed bt NTE5 filtered faceplate, I wonder what the actual percentage will turn out to be. Imagine if it turn out that something like 90% are caused by the bellwire.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

At a rough guess 10% of broadband faults are completely or in part due to the bell wire that I've come across, the same again due to the other wires, so the full adsl face plate was a cure for both. I think the logic being if the bell wire causes the problem then there's a fair potential the other internal wires will spring up a problem in the mid to long term.

As for this new plate, 1st I've heard of it, as SOM's link states there is a specific new faceplate with a choked bell termination id'ed by the red circle SOM has used to highlight the bit of new moulding over the choke.

All new nte5's with the Openreach logo come with this face plate, otherwise they also come as a single retrofit item. this one can also be identified by the fact the anti dust(and pet pee) flap is a slight off white/bit grey colour although I havn't seen it avalable on the market so far.

BT's logic with the design of the IDC terminations is that it's easy enough for most people to add their own diy extention wiring, so I don't see any problem in this being sold as a retrofit item just as the full adsl faceplate is. this new plate looks ugly to me and defeats the logic of IDC terminations. also lot's of sockets have very little slack with the internal wiring to allow the face plate positioned further from the nte (general rule is 90-140mm of wire after stripping the outer sheath back) 

mr_chris

• Kitizen

Hmm, havent seen anything about this I-plate anywhere.

Last year BT designed a new front plate with a bell wire filter, which is now in common use. Am I wrong or do they both do the same thing?

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=1356.0

That's the one I was thinking of, and I'd forgotten you'd posted a photo on that thread too. I haven't heard of the I-Plate. I read the description, knew I'd heard about something like that and thoguht they'd called it an 'I-Plate' instead!

Oh well
Chris

jaydog

• Reg Member

so basically, if you have already removed the bell wire, this is useless?

soms

• Reg Member

Yes if you have removed the ring wire it holds no advantages.

The point is that all new installations will have a bell wire filter to help reduce the number of problems with ADSL from day one and it leaves all the wiring intact with a working ring circuit for any required use.