Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Billion 8800NL xDSL modem router et al  (Read 4659 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Billion 8800NL xDSL modem router et al
« on: December 21, 2015, 12:56:36 AM »

I was rather taken somehow by an advert I read for one of these devices.

* does anyone have any experience of these devices or their kin from the point of view of ADSL2 modem quality? (not interested in router functions or in wireless)

They are rather over the top for me in terms of hardware functions I don't want, although thinking about it the wireless thing might be useful in terms of lightning protection. Unless they speak 5GHz, having three or four of these units is definitely going to overload the 2.4 GHz spectrum, as even if I have no more than three of these units that then puts me right on the very limit of what I can cram in and no spare clear channels for a fourth device plus an existing WAP. If they were to speak VLANs which I haven't looked into, now that would be excellent.

* Does anyone know if they can be converted into straight modems (bridging)? PPPoE-speaking.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 01:40:35 AM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Billion 8800NL xDSL modem router
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 01:08:55 AM »

Not a reply to the question(s) you have asked so . . .

[completely off topic]
Have you considered using three Huawei HG612s in ADSL2 mode?
[/completely off topic]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Billion 8800NL xDSL modem router et al
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 01:36:10 AM »

I'm very interested in strong ADSL2 performers. The grief and worry about getting one "tamed" though is prohibitive. I would have to get a generous soul to config, tame and test these devices times three, no small amount of nuisance, which I wouldn't expec to be done for nothing. But I would need to test one on a 65dB d/s attn line or worse before committing to it. I'm out for the bleeding edge ADSL2 performer, AS YOU KNOW.

The fact I have three could mean I can exploit the redundancy to work against the risks of disruption due to resyncs, perhaps a situation that wouldn't work for a single unit. But multiple devices may just give me an opportunity to push things too hard and get away with it, providing I don't undo the gains by upsetting DLM.

Note to self - don't know anything about DLM in ADSL2.

Andrews and Arnold's shop has a VDSL2 / xDSL modem router by Zyxel, don't know if this is exceptional in ADSL2.

Am a bit worried about whether designers will start to prioritise VDSL2 and higher in their designs in terms of how much they care about ugly sister that is old-fashioned ADSLx.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 01:40:15 AM by Weaver »

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 11:15:04 AM »

The HG612 only takes 5 mins to unlock and setup.  They perform very well on average adsl2 lines but you would just need to test one to see how they suit your long line.   Though getting very old the Netgear DG834v4 with its Broadcom chip is also well worth a try if you have not used one.  The newer Broadcom 63168 based based devices like the Billion 8800NL or the Zyxel vmg1312 that AA offer are worth a try but I am not at aware of asdl2 performance.  The AA offering often turns up on ebay for very little, sold by AA users who may have moved on.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 12:57:21 PM »

@les-70  many thanks for that list. Sets me thinking.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 10:09:07 AM »

yes i use my 8800nl as a modem only in bridge mode,  there is a guide on this site

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

aruba

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 11:49:27 AM »

Only had experience using one on standard ADSL (5km line).

It was one of the better routers I tried regarding speed, just a smidge less than a Speedtouch 585v6.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2015, 12:34:17 PM »

@aruba that's good as the Speedtouch devices were impressively fast in my experience, plus a superbly sophisticated cli.

@chrysalis thanks for letting know. What kind of line are you on?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2015, 04:38:34 PM »

vdsl, and sorry about that tapatalk sig spam, will check for an option to disable it in the app.

The bridge mode should work fine on adsl also, it doesnt do anything specific that would be vdsl only.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 05:04:05 PM »

> The bridge mode should work fine on adsl also, it doesnt do anything specific that would be vdsl only.

It's just that I have no VDSL2, I'm only looking for the fastest xDSL performance here.

Yes I hate the Tapatalk sig thing too - it can set it to be null in the settings

anything