Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Anyone recommend a torrent server?  (Read 5202 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Anyone recommend a torrent server?
« on: December 19, 2015, 09:10:57 PM »

On the advice of some people on the forum I decided to download utorrent as a way to transfer files. It's supposed to work without forwarding ports.

I've followed the instructions to create a private seed and make the .torrent file. But my partner can't seem to start the download from her side. i sent her the .torrent file, she's double clicked it, but her utorrent just says inactive in the torrent section.

At the moment I don't know if the problem is on her side or mine. So I thought I'll try and connect to a proper torrent server to see if I could. Does anyone recommend a good torrent server?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Anyone recommend a torrent server?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 09:23:47 PM »

As I have never used torrents, all I can do is point you to the bottom of this page and then, for example, see what is available here.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2015, 02:06:31 AM »

utorrent needs ports forwarded or upnp to work well. make sure the built in tracker is enabled (in options->advanced), and she could try manually adding your external ip and (forwarded) port to the peer list.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 09:34:07 AM »

This link may help http://www.simplehelp.net/2010/10/10/how-to-send-and-share-files-using-utorrent/

Can't say that I remember port forwarding being set up or noticed any rules when I last used it, but it's been some time.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 04:19:16 PM »

To test your utorrent set up you could go to any (?) of the Linux distro sites and click a torrent download link. Last time I downloaded Mint that worked for me.
Tony

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 04:40:26 PM »

I think one of the peers, either you or the person you're trying to download or upload to, needs to be "connectable" with a forwarded port. If you don't have a forwarded port, you'll only be able to download and upload with peers that do have an open port.

anything