Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Demise of Thunderbird email client on the horizon  (Read 7496 times)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Demise of Thunderbird email client on the horizon
« on: December 19, 2015, 12:32:26 PM »

Apparently my favourite email client Thunderbird is likely to be scrapped (well no longer supported) in the near future. After Eric's suggestion of Palemoon as a browser, which by the way I am now getting on with OK, I found Fossamail by the same team which is based on Thunderbird. So far I am finding it good and easier to get compatible with TBird than Palemoon was with FF. So for those who want to migrate from TBird but like the way it works Fossamail might be an option. It is only available for Linux and Windows at present and it needs its own version of the Lightning Calendar add-on. Migrating was easy, copy the TBird profile to Fossamail - remove Lightning and install its own version and I was up and running. Obviously one or two add-ons needed to be checked or removed but no big problems at all.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

renluop

• Kitizen
Re: Demise of Thunderbird email client on the horizon
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 03:07:06 PM »

Thanks for that; another TB user here! I use my hotmail through it as well as my ISP addresses. Does that too work OK?

What concerns me is the client's name, "Fossamail, fossa, being Latin for "ditch. Hope storage is up to scratch! ;)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 05:16:24 PM »

Thanks for that; another TB user here! I use my hotmail through it as well as my ISP addresses. Does that too work OK?

What concerns me is the client's name, "Fossamail, fossa, being Latin for "ditch. Hope storage is up to scratch! ;)

I believe that Fossa is a cat like animal as well, quite appropriate for the Kitz forum  ;)

I dont use Hotmail so I dont know if it works but I do have a googlemail account which works. It's based on an older Thunderbird so I guess it should work providing you know the correct incantation  ;)

Stuart

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 08:46:08 PM »

Hubble bubble toil and trouble has had limited success ( still using v,1296AD) :o

Jokes aside, I have pasted the TB profile in to AppData\Roaming\Fossamail and removed the existing one that was with the downloaded items. I try to start Fossamail and get "Your FossaMail profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible."

Haven't I got the profile, where it should be? So why the warning? Ideas please!

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 11:25:31 PM »

Solved, found there is a special migration tool! :)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 08:19:15 AM »

Solved, found there is a special migration tool! :)

Yes although sadly it is Windows only, however the profile placing on Linux is standard and therefore easy.

Stuart

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 09:56:13 AM »

I have used Postbox (https://www.postbox-inc.com) in the past when Apple mail was upsetting me. I think it too is based on Thunderbird. No Linux support however, just Mac and Windows. It has been updated recently and works well enough with my Fastmail and iCloud accounts, but I have problems with authentication with BT Mail occasionally.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 10:36:31 AM »

I too will miss Thunderbird, which I use on the Mac as well as Windows.

One thing it does (/did) very well was import of  Mbox files created elsewhere.  When I started using Google Apps for email three or four years back,  that allowed me to magically integrate (with IMAP) into Google every email from my old Demon PoP downloads, back to the dawn of time (late 90's at least).   If I ever get around to ditching Google, I may have to do that over again for a new host.

I'm sure there are other clients that can import/export MBox, in fact I think Apple Mail may even do it, but I've grown to like Thunderbird.   :(

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 02:21:38 PM »

I've been using Thunderbird for years, but I've always struggled with how it stores profiles and emails, I've used Mozbackup for back up and restoration but often had problems. Due to a recent problem I've decided to use Outlook, which I use at work and find it very simply to export/import emails, have archives etc. Sounds like my timing couldn't have been better.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2015, 05:00:59 PM »

On a Linux forum it has been said that Thunderbird is at least for now unlikely to die, Mozilla are reducing the number of paid employees supporting it and it supposed to become community supported. It seems that there maybe some 10 million users worldwide so if enough donate it is likely to continue. I guess we wait and see, also hope it does not go the FF route of making it difficult for add-ons to function.

Ronski I used to use it in Windows as well, Windows always bugs me about where the profiles get stored but in Linux no issue as they are all in your users home directory as a hidden file (.mozilla for FF or .thunderbird for TB).

Stuart

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2015, 11:52:39 AM »

How come Thunderbird is closing?

Hmm, its fate. I finally move from Outlook Express to Thunderbird and now thats closing too!
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 12:29:48 AM »

I moved a few years ago to Thunderbird to get away from .pst problems (Outlook).
[Once you have .pst problems that cannot be fixed 'automagically' by MS, you are stuck as there are no tools available to get your data out of the files.)
I am sure it will work quite well for the next year or so and if the users of it contributed a little it would survive I am sure.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 11:36:53 AM »

Claws mail is worth a look.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 11:24:10 AM »

I moved a few years ago to Thunderbird to get away from .pst problems (Outlook).
[Once you have .pst problems that cannot be fixed 'automagically' by MS, you are stuck as there are no tools available to get your data out of the files.)
I am sure it will work quite well for the next year or so and if the users of it contributed a little it would survive I am sure.

I remember Outlook Express and Outlook were 2 different versions. I know that I used Thunderbird to import mail from Outlook Express.

There are little untilities that can help with reading the directory that stores the mail.

I think its the only downside to mail programs, updating and moving data.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 08:57:23 PM »

Someone does not agree with this thread's OP.

I'll let others comment.
Pages: [1] 2