Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Editing start menu shortcuts ?  (Read 1955 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Editing start menu shortcuts ?
« on: December 17, 2015, 08:32:20 PM »

Win10 looks good but I'm finding it increasingly annoying. Things that were easy to do on previous windows seem to be overly complicated.

Ok, I updated my firefox to the 64bit version recently. But I noticed that firefox didn't update the shortcut in the taskbar and on the start menu. So I manually setup my own shortcut to the new 64bit version, which installs here: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"

I have the shortcut on the desktop and managed to pin it to the task bar. I removed the shortcut to the previous 32bit version from the task bar. But now I've noticed if I click the icon it duplicates it to open the browser. This from what I gather seems to be a bug.

So someone suggested a way to combat this was to pin the shortcut to the start menu. Then from there tell it to pin the shortcut to the task bar. This apparently fixes the problem.

But thats where my problems start. I can't add my shortcut to the start menu by dragging it there. I also noticed I can't remove the current firefox link that links to the 32bit version.

I've tried right clicking on it and opening the file location, which takes me a directory with a bunch of shortcuts in. So I tried editing the shortcut. It wouldn't let me. I tried dragging my desktop shortcut in to that directory, again it wouldnt let me.

This isnt a big issue as I can still start firefox with the taskbar icon I put there. But yea.. the start menu doesnt seem that flexible. Unless I'm missing another way in to edit it?

Anyone any ideas?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Editing start menu shortcuts ?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 11:12:26 AM »

Ok, I managed to properly pin it to the task bar and the icon doesnt duplicate.

But I still can't pin something to the start menu.

It's weird because if I right-click on the program to pin to start.. it says it's pinned, and even shows *NEW* on the apps menu. But when you go in to the apps menu and scroll down its not there.

I also tried editing the shortcut that the 32bit version firefox used in the start menu. But when I changed the properties, the file path and target, it says it can't do it when I click apply. It won't even let me create a new shortcut in that shortcut menu area.

I'm wondering if there is a menu somewhere that deals with the shortcuts in the start menu somewhere.

Edit:

Ok I did a SFC /SCANNOW command to check for any errors. It didn't find any. But I noticed that the pin to start doesnt even pretend to work now.

So I tried again to modify the current Mozilla Firefox shortcut. This time instead of saying I couldn't do it, it asked me to continue as administrator. So I clicked apply and changed the shortcut location. So it now points to the 64bit version of Firefox.

So I guess my issue with firefox is fixed. I do find it odd though that there seemed to so much problems with me installing this 64bit version. It didn't setup any of the new shortcuts for me, yet I know it has for other people. I guess there is a bug somewhere in there. I've noticed other people have similar issues and even after a re-install they still eventually run in to it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 11:54:12 AM by Bowdon »
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2