Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: ADSLMax 10 day period detail question?  (Read 25953 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: ADSLMax 10 day period detail question?
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2006, 03:49:30 PM »

If you're consistently syncing at over 6000 kbps then you should expect to get download speeds up to about 5000 (depending on network conditions at the time). If you are certain that you never get a much lower sync then it looks as though your bRAS profile may be stuck at 2000 or thereabouts. The usual advice in this situation is to wait a couple more days, then if it's still the same ask your ISP to get the profile unstuck.

Eric
  Eric

davidmaiden18183

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2006, 02:12:14 PM »

Hi guys. been meaning to get back on here in ages, but have not had chance tool. My 10 day line testing period was complete sometime ago and despite consistanly around 6400 I am still getting slow speeds. Of an evening I tend to have a 1-1.5MB line, this sometime drops below 1MB - nose markind are typically arount 6-7 at these times.

However today is the first time I've really got on in an afternoon, and mid day today (Thursday) I am still synchonising at 6400 and getting a 1-1.5MB line speed tho my noise markin is a respectable 9.5-10.5

Is this normal? do I have a stuck BRas or something.

I've contacted my ISP (Demon) and they have asked me to complete several speeds test at different times of day using http://www.kbps.co.uk and then to send them an email with the links to the reports.

If it shows poor results they will take the issue with BT.

Am I right in thinking I shoul be getting at least double the speed I am no in early afternoons? where do you think the problem lies?

AS always many thanks for your excellent support and knowledge.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2006, 06:59:59 PM »

Yes, you should be getting much faster speeds (at least during quiet periods). Either you've got a stuck profile or your local exchange is subject to severe congestion. You can find out what your current IP profile is set at by going to http://speedtester.bt.com/ but you may well have to try several times before it lets you in. Be prepared for a wait of 2 or 3 minutes while it thinks. :(

Eric
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2006, 11:55:39 PM »

Hi
Try putting your phone number in on this site to check you exchange status...    http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/? 

Michael
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

davidmaiden18183

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2006, 10:32:18 AM »

the BT test indicated

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:
    IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  6432 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3184 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

I dont know how it achieve that throughput, all other speed test I am doing give me noe more than 1600kbps (at 10:00AM)

Using the plusnet tool its is showing my exchange details as "VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Red."

"BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.

At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.

The ETA fix time is: 18 Nov 06"

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2006, 11:25:13 AM »

Hello,
I have only gone on Broadband in the last month from dial-up ( which sometimes was as low as 9kbps !!) and my experience with these speed testers is that you get all different speeds, also the BT speed tester you can never get it to work.
My local exchange is showing the same as yours so I waiting until it's fixed to do any real speed checks.
Regards Michael.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2006, 12:48:08 PM »

Yes, it looks as though you're the victim of congestion, David, and there's nothing you can do about that. The other possibility is that your ISP is throttling your connection for some reason (and maybe the BT test isn't subject to that throttling).

Eric
  Eric

man_beach

• Just arrived
« Reply #52 on: November 19, 2006, 05:59:09 PM »

Hi
Try putting your phone number in on this site to check you exchange status...    http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/? 

Michael

That 'exchange line status' is a joke - the ETA for fixing mine has been 9th October, 16th October, 23rd October, 30th October, 6th November, 13th November - now it's 30th November. Every time the date for fixing it passes, they just post a new one.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2006, 11:27:12 AM »

That data comes directly from BT, so unfortunately it's them that keeps putting the date back. Due to the fact that BT must have changed the criteria for a red exchange and consequently over half of them went red a few weeks ago, I think they're struggling to keep up with due dates at the moment.

I'm not making excuses for BT, you understand!
Chris

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2006, 10:50:39 PM »

Hello
Our next door neighbour called out BT openreach (Broadband), so I took the opportunity to have a chat with the BT chap.
One thing I told him was about the local exchange being on red since October, I could not believe it when he said he did not know about that and he works and lives in this area as well.
From Michael.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2006, 08:40:34 AM »

Red status doesn't necessarily indicate any large problem. My local exchange is red too, but my speeds haven't noticeably reduced. As Chris said above, it may just be that BT have changed the criteria. If you're getting a serious reduction in speed all through the day, that rather suggests that the problem could be elsewhere, perhaps in the ISP's traffic management?

Eric
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]