Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: ADSLMax 10 day period detail question?  (Read 26114 times)

davidmaiden18183

ADSLMax 10 day period detail question?
« on: October 02, 2006, 06:00:14 PM »

Hi. I've just moved to demon Broadband up to 8MB from AOL's 1MB service. BT made the transfer  early Friday morning (I was up at 6:00am and it was done), I had connected with Demon by mid day Friday but am yet to see any change in my raw download speed, it does not seem to fluctuate up or down much at all....its hardly like the line is being tested. It been between 3.5-4 days and as I say, still similar raw download speeds as the 1MB line (115 kb per second)

ADSL guide speed tests and BTw's are giving around about:-

Downstream 924.8 Kbps ( = 0.9 Mbps )   
Upstream 241.9 Kbps ( = 0.2 Mbps )   

Does it normally take more than 4 days before there is any noticeable change, it does not seem like the line is being tested

I'm a little concerned that after purchasing the up to 8MB service I'm still only going to be able to get the same speed I had before (despite BT's availability check telling me I would be up to 4.5MB or 8MB -depending on if I inputted phone number or postcode etc)

Should I be worried?
Has anyone had similar problems?
Anything I can do?

I've had a look on this forum but not found a clear answer I'm afraid

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: ADSLMax 10 day period detail question?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 07:39:21 PM »

Hi and welcome to the forums :)

It took 5 days before my bRAS profile was lifted and I saw the "8Mb" speeds.
BTw wont accept any speed related issues from your ISP until the full 10 days has passed.

However, before jumping to conclusions here it may be an idea to check if you have been migrated on to MAX or if a *like for like* migration has occured.

What speed are you syncing to the exchange at?

How to get your line stats.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

davidmaiden18183

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 10:45:03 PM »

I hope this means more to you. I think this means it is not maxxed yet? am I right

ADSL   Internet Settings

Downstream          Upstream

Data rate            1152                      288 

Noise margin      29.5                       27.0 

Output power    18.3                       11.8 

Attenuation        45.5                       22.5 

What shoul I be doing next. Your responses are much appreciated  :)

davidmaiden18183

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 10:50:33 PM »

are those good of bad noise margins?

davidmaiden18183

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 10:52:07 PM »

updated my wireless rotuers firmware and my noise margin has gone down to 27  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 12:10:06 AM »

Hiyas

>> Data rate            1152                      288 

You are still on a 1Mb connection, so it would seem that Demon didnt do a simultaneous migration and regrade.  Some ISPs put the speed regrade through separately, in which case it may take another 5 days.  Youre best checking with demon to make sure they havent forgotten.

>> are those good of bad noise margins?
>> Attenuation        45.5

Umm... 
The BTw rules state that any line with an attenuation figure of over 42dB cant have more than 1Mb.

HOWEVER..

>> Noise margin      29.5

Your SNR Margin is exceedingly good considering your attentuation so you have plenty of leaway there.

Saffy's Maxdsl guestimator is down atm, but based on those figures a rough estimate is you should get in the region of 4.5 - 5Mb on Max.

You do have to bear in mind that it will depend entirely on how much your SNR Margin fluctuates during the day/evening..  its quite common for your SNR Margin to fluctuate /reduce during the evenings.

>>> updated my wireless rotuers firmware and my noise margin has gone down to 27 

Possibly a normal evening fluctuation? 
As previously mentioned SNR Margins can fluctuate.. the higher your SNR Margin the better.
The lower your attenuation the better, but attenuation should remain static.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 09:18:29 AM »

> The BTw rules state that any line with an attenuation figure of over 42dB cant have more than 1Mb

psst.. that's the rule for fixed rate 2Mb... 1Mb is 60dB ;)
Chris

davidmaiden18183

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 10:35:36 AM »

Kitz....do you mean by your estimate that I will get 4.5 - 5Mb as my actual connection, or do you mean that the highest I could hope for?

davidmaiden18183

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 11:32:31 AM »

I've just spoke to Demon and after a bit of pulling teeth (They oringinally thought I wasnt a new customer and I was ringing to ask why my free upgrade hadnt happened yet - they were telling me all customers are been upgrade and everyone is being upgraded randomly and they will all be upgraded by the end of december! After 5hitting myself I told her I'm a new customer, are you talking about new customers becuase I was told my line would be 8Mb immediatly!)

Anyway, after the confusion they put me on hold and have had some chats with BT, they agree I am still on the same spped line I was before with AOL, however the bandwidth has not yet been updated by BT...... i thought the idea was the migration to a new ISP would be times to allign with when BT schedule the bandwitdth update!

Anyway, demomn have told me that BT have reported back they should have the bandwidth updated by/on Thursday the 5th and I should do a speed test on the 6th.

So I will wait until then, and hopefully all things will be sorted. But I wonder why the migration and regrade dates are different.

What do you guys think? Does everything I've said sound truthul, or am I being fobbed of with the same story they give everyone (pointing the finger at BT before checking for there own faults)?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2006, 12:42:40 PM »

Sounds ok to me, if a little inconvenient both for you and Demon.

As kitz has already said, it's possible for an ISP to place a simultaneous migrate and regrade order, which means they can change your speed during the migration. It looks like Demon haven't done that. Doesn't surprise me really, because they're usually quite slow on the uptake of new stuff.

It sounds reasonable that if they've now placed what's known as a Modify order into eCo (the BT systems that ISPs can talk to), then your order should be done tonight, and your router will start connecting at a higher speed. You should see a faster upload speed immediately.

However, don't be surprised if you don't start seeing the new faster download speeds until at least 3 days, sometimes up to 10 days, after you are Maxed. This I think would be applicable even if you'd been done on the simultaneous migrate/regrade path.

So them telling you to do a speedtest on Friday is a little optimistic, IMO. Don't be disheartened if you don't see faster speeds until well into next week - it might even be the weekend after.

Of course it might happen a lot sooner, fingers crossed for you :)
Chris

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 12:44:19 PM »

And with those line stats as they currently are, as long as your SNR doesn't fluctuate too much, I'd go with kitz on that approximation - 4.5 - 5Mb is what you could hope to see on Max. Depending on the lowest sync rate you achieve, that might settle down to a real speed of around 3.5Mbps tops, which is still none too shabby.
Chris

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 02:31:53 PM »

> The BTw rules state that any line with an attenuation figure of over 42dB cant have more than 1Mb

psst.. that's the rule for fixed rate 2Mb... 1Mb is 60dB ;)

ummm..  Im functioning on only 3 hours sleep here and my brain is really fuddled.. 
But its 0-42 dB for 2Mbps  ???
david has 45dB.. therefore only 1Mb... or am I missing something really obvious? ???
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2006, 02:38:49 PM »

Kitz....do you mean by your estimate that I will get 4.5 - 5Mb as my actual connection, or do you mean that the highest I could hope for?

Its a very rough estimation of what sync speeds you may expect to see when on max.
Depending on how much your SNR Margin fluctuates that will set your data rate profile for throughput.

Also remember...  BT let contention become a lot more obvious when on max at peak times.

Mr_Saffron had an estimator which you used to be able to put in your line stats and it would give you an estimate, but it seems to be down atm :/

http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

I think chris has covered the rest of the stuff :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 02:44:50 PM by kitz »
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 03:44:54 PM »

ummm..  Im functioning on only 3 hours sleep here and my brain is really fuddled.. 
But its 0-42 dB for 2Mbps  ???
david has 45dB.. therefore only 1Mb... or am I missing something really obvious? ???

Whoops! Chris is in trouble with the boss. >:D
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 04:01:05 PM »

naw...  hes normally pretty good at picking up any obvious errors.
Thats why I read, re-read, read again.. and again for about 10 times..  thinking...  have I missed sommat... and was still unsure.
-----
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

anything