Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Slow Data rate with Netgear WG111  (Read 8266 times)

canon

• Reg Member
Slow Data rate with Netgear WG111
« on: March 15, 2008, 10:40:49 AM »

Hi,
a query on behalf of my son.
He's just gone with BeThere and using their supplied Speedtouch 585v6 wireless router with a Netgear WG111 USB 2.0 adaptor.
He syncs at 19.1Mbps downstream and gets ~15Mbps actual download speed when connected WIRED.
However, when connected WIRELESS, the actual d/l speed drops to ~5Mbps.
The indications are that the WG111 is the problem, almost as though it's working at USB 1.0 speeds.
The driver for the WG111 has been updated to the latest but it made no difference.
Any suggestion as to the problem please?
Terry.

setecio

• Reg Member
Re: Slow Data rate with Netgear WG111
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 11:11:50 AM »

I presume he is testing it with the laptop right beside the router.

Try changing the wireless channel (try 1, 6 and 11 ) and check that wireless g is being used.

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 12:28:51 PM »

Not right beside but about 10 feet away in the same room. The WG111 is in a desktop PC.
Thanks for the suggestion about trying different channels etc.
Terry.

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 02:52:07 PM »

A common cause can be that the WG111 is plugged into the back of the desktop, leaving the direct line from it to the router's antenna going through the desktop case. This can cause a dramatic deterioration in the signal as the wireless signal will travel in a straight line. If the direct line passes through the desktop box or any other solid objects then that might be the reason. Ask him to ensure that there is a complete direct line of sight between the router and the whole WG111. This is purely for testing purposes to identify the cause of the slow speed and rule out certain factors.

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 04:45:14 PM »

He's done all that (BTW. he is a Chartered Engineer who's been involved with the design of devices for wireless transmission of data so understands how data is transmitted etc).
Tried all the channels too.
Not only does the WG111 not do the job on his desktop but the same happens with his notebook. Both of these machines have been used before with wireless and achieved high data rates (Virgin cable).
There seems to be a problem with compatibility between the Speedtouch 585v6  and the other wireless adaptors -  they are all to the 802.11g spec so should work to that in theory.
He's going to put in a support ticket to BeThere -  a good test of their customer support!
Thanks for your interest.
I wonder if there any other BeThere users or SP585v6 users who've had the same problem, or even those who have not - what adaptors are being used with the SP585?
Terry.

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 06:36:47 PM »

From what I remember (I used to be a BeThere customer) the same question - and the solution - are posted at least once somewhere on their internal forums. Perhaps mr chris could do a search? I'm afraid I can't remember anything other than that I've seen this question asked before :)

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 11:15:57 PM »

There have been found to be incompatability problems between usb wireless devices when used with different manufacturers routers and vice-versa.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 04:22:18 AM »

Apparently there's a few problems with the ST585v6 and wireless performance. I've also installed a few WG111 adapters for people and wasn't overly impressed with their performance either (various different makes and models of routers)

The only thing of any potential use that's coming up when searching the Be forum, is a mismatch between the "preamble" setting on the router and the wifi adapter, and someone on the Be forum has advised to check your preamble settings in the Advanced Settings page for the network adapter - which you can get from going into the Netgear software and clicking "Advanced Settings".

I don't have a WG111 so can't test this out, but apparently you can choose a Preamble type of Long, Short or Auto. Short preamble may give better performance, Long may give a more reliable connection.

Let us know if you have any joy :)
Chris

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 07:39:16 AM »

Thanks mr chris.
Son has connected wired now (drilled hole through wall to make it easier  :o ) so is reasonably happy.
I'll pass on your info about the "preamble" settings, it may help with the notebook wireless connection which is slow too.

I'm waiting to see how it goes with BeThere, I might follow in his footsteps.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 08:33:04 AM »

I'm with Be - no problems so far.

Bear in mind:

~ You don't get an ISP-supplied email address unless you pay extra for it (I have heard rumours that running an email server isn't Be's strong point though!)

~ You have to give 3 months notice of cancellation if you wish to terminate your account, no matter how long you've been with them.

~ It's bloomin' FASSSST! ;)
Chris

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 08:37:30 AM »

~ It's bloomin' FASSSST!
That's what attract me especially the upload speed. I'm ~2.3km from the exchange so the predicted d/l sync speed is ~13000 or so, cf. existing 8128.
E-mail is not an issue as I use Yahoo. I assume Be have an SMTP server?
T

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 08:51:50 AM »

Er... I think they do but I don't use it. I think, judging from a quick google, that it's often feeling unwell, so it might be just as well to try and see if you can use another one.

If you use Yahoo mail, I've just found this which is a sort of POP3/SMTP gateway for Yahoo mail, which looks kinda cool actually.
Chris

canon

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 09:03:24 AM »

In the UK it's possible to use the Yahoo SMTP server, which I keep in reserve in case the Metronet one fails. You have to accept the odd Y! advert e-mail (I get 4 per year at most).

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 09:04:44 AM »

Well there you go - sorted! :)

Be's SMTP is smtp1.bethere.co.uk, for reference
Chris

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 01:01:28 PM »

The only thing of any potential use that's coming up when searching the Be forum, is a mismatch between the "preamble" setting on the router and the wifi adapter, and someone on the Be forum has advised to check your preamble settings in the Advanced Settings page for the network adapter - which you can get from going into the Netgear software and clicking "Advanced Settings".

Ah it must have been on ircsome's site then and the search function doesn't work (nor will it ever :D) over there.

anything