Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TalkTalk LLU ADSL2+ vs BT21CN ADSL2+ (Plusnet) Sync Speeds.  (Read 2227 times)

smurphdude

• Just arrived
TalkTalk LLU ADSL2+ vs BT21CN ADSL2+ (Plusnet) Sync Speeds.
« on: November 22, 2015, 11:05:32 AM »

Hi,

I've very recently changed provider from TalkTalk to Plusnet and am wondering why my Downstream Sync is lower with PlusNet as compared to TalkTalk. I'm still in my 10 day training period.

I've not changed any of my home equipment - using a TalkTalk supplied HG533 router which I've manually cleared out the TalkTalk cruft - TR069 disabled, WAN side ACS access disabled, PPoE hardcoded connection removed etc etc.

Upstream and Downstream attenuation are identical to previously (13.4dB and 28dB respectively)  and I'm connecting with a Downstream SNRM of 6dB again identical to previously. Upstream SNRM is quite a bit lower than the value I was getting from TalkTalk - around the 7dB mark vs about 8-9 dB previously.

The TalkTalk profile was interleaved and the Downstream Sync normally about 16-17K with a throughput of 13 to 14 Mb/s achievable.

The Plusnet  profile is Fast currently and I'm getting a Downstream Sync of just under 14K. It's seems very stable so far, but my throughput is down to 11-12Mb/s

Could this simply be that the Plusnet downstream transmit power is lower than TalkTalk LLU at the same exchange. Something else?

ejs

• Kitizen
Re: TalkTalk LLU ADSL2+ vs BT21CN ADSL2+ (Plusnet) Sync Speeds.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 11:57:42 AM »

The difference could be due to the interleaving. Interleaving might result in more bandwidth if the effect of the coding gain from the FEC and interleaving outweighs the bandwidth used by the FEC data.

I doubt the transmit power would be significantly lower, the transmit power is reported in some DSL stats.

Or it could simply be because the BT 21CN equipment is not as good as the TalkTalk LLU equipment. If you can see the vendor code, and it's TSTC, then it's probably the older and less good type of BT equipment. Newer BT ADSL2+ equipment is IFTN, and some of the very recently upgraded exchanges are BDCM. I think TalkTalk LLU is IFTN equipment.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: TalkTalk LLU ADSL2+ vs BT21CN ADSL2+ (Plusnet) Sync Speeds.
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 11:46:43 PM »

I think TalkTalk LLU is IFTN equipment.

I am fairly certain* that TalkTalk use Huawei MSANs for their LLU services and the Huawei line cards are fitted with an Infineon chipset.

* > 99% sure.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

anything