Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How long to leave FTTC line before switching from HH5 to HG612/Router Combo?  (Read 2302 times)

jaggythistle

So had the HH5 BT supplied set-up (current modem/router isn't VDSL) ready for BT Infinity (40/20) connection, which went live on Monday.  There's obviously a lead-in time for the line connection - BT recommending 10 days(?) - so have just been checking the connection every evening at the moment.  Am getting pretty consistent 35 down / 10 up which is what BT estimated and am happy with that.  But last night on checking the connection stats I spotted that the connection time only stated 1 day 12 hrs 4 mins - not the 3 days etc I expected!  So presume this is HH5 rebooting itself or being remotely rebooted by BT?

Obviously new to FTTC so is this anything to worry about?  I don't want to be penalised almost straightaway for what might be seen as line faults by "the system" (need to read up on this), when it's not.  Is there any point waiting 10 days if HH5 keeps rebooting anyway, as I've just picked up a HG612 from a certain auction site for a sensible price (at last!) and am more than happy swap out the HH5 sooner rather than later?

Thanks  :)

(edit: sorry if this is in the wrong place, still finding my way around)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 05:01:18 PM by jaggythistle »

Dray

• Kitizen

Is it unlocked so you can use DSLStats/HG612-modem-stats to monitor it and on to MyDslWebStats?

Swap it out anytime you like, just remember to power down the HH5 before disconnecting the phone line and connect up the HG612 before powering it on.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

There is no 10 day training on FTTC,  just don't keep disconnecting the modem too often. I'd make sure the HG612 is unlocked and change it over asap.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

jaggythistle

Interesting, ok thanks.  Yep it's unlocked with Hwolf's webgui version (at least it should be), but hasn't arrived yet though so can't check. So looking forward to consigning the hh5 to the dusty shelf, forgot how restrictive these things were.

I'm on the phone atm, so having to "fly-by-tapatalk"