Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: RevK in front of select committee, 2015-12-09  (Read 2576 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
RevK in front of select committee, 2015-12-09
« on: December 10, 2015, 02:36:11 AM »

RevK, aka Adrian Kennard, the boss of ISP Andrews & Arnold (http://aa.net.uk) was answering questions for half an hour on Wednesday afternoon along with James Blessing from ISPA ( ispa.org.uk ), the ISPs' trade association.

It took a bit of effort for me to find it, but in the end I did manage to find the footage on the web. [ I didn't have much luck with BBC iPlayer, it may be that it's too soon. ]
    See http://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/54f42d6d-2377-4e98-9f6b-f21149c2b21f

The committee seemed to have the right attitude as far as I can tell, which was surprising and encouraging. They were told that “Internet connection records” is a meaningless term because it's sooo vague, unless it is taken to mean, “some piece of information, whatever the Home Secretary wants it to mean at any particular time in any particular case”.

The experts told the committee that the vagueness and open ended nature of the bill is a worry because small ISPs have no idea how expensive and onerous might some demand be that could be placed on them. Another concern being how far a future Home Secretary might go from what was originally envisioned in terms of ordering information to be collected, for example, by using DPI way too extensively.

I was pleased that RevK got in a plug for the Firebrick and indeed waved one around as a prop. He was tasteful enough not to mention either A & A or Firebrick by name. He pointed out that ISPs, software and hardware manufacturers might have to move outside the UK if ordered by the govt to compromise or remove encryption or to start lying to their customers. He also pointed out that international customers might get nervous about dealing with UK service providers or with manufacturers based in the UK in case their services or products might have untrustworthy broken encryption, back doors or lies in them, and so the customer might choose to go to say a supplier in the Netherlands for example instead.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 11:15:07 PM by Weaver »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: RevK in front of select committee, 2015-12-09
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 06:41:54 PM »

Thank you for your report on the event. It has saved me from the need to watch the proceedings.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 11:16:54 PM »

> It has saved me from the need to watch the proceedings.

Damn. ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 11:29:51 PM »

Damn. ;D

If it is any consolation, I had read his own write-up in his latest blog posting before I saw this, your thread!  ;)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 11:54:26 PM »

It has saved me from the need to watch the proceedings.  :)

It's worth watching. There's a link on the page which takes you straight to the part of the session where Adrian participated.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 12:34:28 AM »

It's worth watching.

If a flying-frog says it is worth watching, then a certain kitteh will do the right thing . . . later today (sometime).  :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 07:06:50 PM »

Just watched this - thank you for that link Weaver.

Some very good points and well put across by both Adrian Kennard & James Blessing.
I know both these people have a solid background in networking and know what they are talking about as they are proper techs and not execs.

I watched some of the BT/Sky/Virgin part too.   I may have missed something, because I did start to skip bits.  I gather it was BT on the left, and Im assuming it was a Virgin guy on the right.  BT seemed to be doing most of the talking..  I didnt see the guy in the middle say anything much of any relevance.     
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 07:17:58 PM »

You're very welcome.

I will watch the BT/Sky/Virgin bit actually.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 04:45:07 AM »

DPI is really expensive, it can break things and these isp's if they can mask the performance hit would be a great achievement.

It will also probably not achieve much as there is so many ways someone who wants to not be tracked can sidestep what the government wants doing, encryption is obviously the easiest way but there is other mechanisms as well such as tunnelling via an offshore isp (who isnt subject to uk legislation) and more.

Note as well the internet is moving towards an all encrypted way of operation e.g. http/2 is TLS only.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 05:31:39 AM »

> if they can mask the performance hit

I suspect they aren't that bothered, they aren't in the high performance business. At any rate they seemed more in the business of playing roll over and play dead.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 07:00:06 AM »

I agree regarding the big isp's.

They will just see this as a way of more profit, I bet all of them overstated their costs.