Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 Bricked?  (Read 7912 times)

kitzy

• Just arrived
HG612 Bricked?
« on: December 06, 2015, 12:21:12 AM »

Hi,
Ive been given a brand new OpenReach branded HG612 v.2B (originally shipped with firmware version V100R001C01B028SP10) and have followed the upgrade guide here to put B030SP08 webgui on:
https://huaweihg612hacking.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/hg612_unlock_instructions_v1-3.pdf

Unfortunately it never rebooted and I eventually pulled the power after 30mins.

It now powers up, The power (and ethernet when connected) stays lit for c.10sec and then it flashes off and back on again (in some kind of boot loop?)
If I hold reset for 10sec while supplying power I can get to the recovery page on 192.168.1.1, but I have tried applying every firmware I could find and they seem to go through the flash process ok, but after it seemingly completes, when the modem reboots itself it goes back into its boot-loop.

I have found a full dump on asbokid jr's Google Drive in bz2 format (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6wW18mYskvBMmI1ZGNiMTctOTgxMi00ZGFmLTg3YzAtODQ2ZDJkNjQ5ZGJl), but this wont apply through the web interface as it says its the wrong format.

Ive not succeeded in connecting to it in normal mode while its boot looping as my network interface yoyos up and down but in recovery mode it rejects telnet, ssh connections, but I seem to get a rlogin login prompt for a split second before it closes the connection. Is there any way for me to recover this modem without JTAGing it as I dont currently have the equipment to do this?

A dummies guide would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 Bricked?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 09:43:40 AM »

Wouldn't it be quicker to grab another HG612 v3B from flea-bay?

kitzy

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 10:34:49 AM »

Wouldn't it be quicker to grab another HG612 v3B from flea-bay?
I thought that might be proposed. But if it happens that I just need a file wrapped with a particular header for the web interface to repair the bootloader, or clear the corrupt settings (assuming that is what is corrupt), it seems a shame to trash an otherwise good unit. I know there are a couple of experts on here who have done a lot of work with the HG612 and hoped they might have a solution.

Assuming I have to get a new one, is the 3B recommended above the 2B? I believe early models (v1?) had overheating problems?

Best

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 11:04:41 AM »

I believe there were similar problems with the v2 which led to a mass replacement with the v3B.

kitzy

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 08:35:33 PM »

Would HowlingWolf, AsboKid or anyone else have a recovery file or fuller firmware flash which I could apply via the recovery web interface?

Or does anyone know how I can access the command line while in recovery mode?

Many thanks

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 11:16:09 PM »

I would suggest that you try the following sequence (later steps in increasing order of desperation) --
  • With the HG612 only connected to its PSU, press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.
  • Wait a further 30 seconds and then power cycle the device.
  • Configure the NIC of the system (that you are using to attempt to access the HG612) to 192.168.0.0 static.
  • Connect the LAN2 port of the HG612 to the system's NIC with an Ethernet cable.
  • Perform an nmap scan of all the addresses (65,536) for any response from port 80.
  • Re-configure the system's NIC to 172.16.0.0 static.
  • Perform an nmap scan of all the addresses (1,048,576) for any response from port 80.
  • Re-configure the system's NIC to 10.0.0.0 static.
  • Perform an nmap scan of all the addresses (16,777,216) for any response from port 80.
  • Access the PCB and solder on the relevant header pins.
  • Attempt access via the serial console.
  • Attempt JTAG access.
If you are able to bring up the firmware update page (192.168.1.1 via the LAN2 port) by powering on the HG612 with the reset button held depressed then it seems, to me, that there is nothing wrong with the boot-loader and the CFE. Wolfy's firmware image (with the GUI) is what I would recommend to be installed.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitzy

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 10:53:12 AM »

Many thanks for your suggestions.
I would suggest that you try the following sequence (later steps in increasing order of desperation) --
  • With the HG612 only connected to its PSU, press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds.
  • Wait a further 30 seconds and then power cycle the device.
When the system is not powered up in recovery mode it reboots itself every 10 seconds (the power led flashes off and on). If I continue to hold the reset button down for the whole 30 seconds, after the first reboot it drops into recovery mode. Holding reset for any length of time in recovery mode doesnt seem to do anything.
  • Configure the NIC of the system (that you are using to attempt to access the HG612) to 192.168.0.0 static.
  • Connect the LAN2 port of the HG612 to the system's NIC with an Ethernet cable.
  • Perform an nmap scan of all the addresses (65,536) for any response from port 80.
Yes I get a response from port 80, (I only scanned the first 1024) but only when in recovery mode. in normal mode none of the ports become active while its boot looping. I shall do a full scan tonight.
  • Re-configure the system's NIC to 172.16.0.0 static.
  • Perform an nmap scan of all the addresses (1,048,576) for any response from port 80.
  • Re-configure the system's NIC to 10.0.0.0 static.
  • Perform an nmap scan of all the addresses (16,777,216) for any response from port 80.
  • Access the PCB and solder on the relevant header pins.
  • Attempt access via the serial console.
  • Attempt JTAG access.
I shall try the rest of the possibilities when I next have a chance. I think I might call it quits if I get no response on the other subnets. So if anyone wants this HG612 v2B to JTAG they are welcome.

If you are able to bring up the firmware update page (192.168.1.1 via the LAN2 port) by powering on the HG612 with the reset button held depressed then it seems, to me, that there is nothing wrong with the boot-loader and the CFE. Wolfy's firmware image (with the GUI) is what I would recommend to be installed.
I can access the firmware update page in recovery mode on 192.1681.1.1 from LAN2 - I can apply Wolfys firmware (it takes about 3 seconds to upload and then asks me to wait 2 minutes before it automatically reboots. At which point it goes back to boot looping every 10 seconds.

I wonder what happens about 10 seconds into the boot process which causes it to cycle? Is there any way to produce a file that is accepted by the web interface which erases a broader memory address space as I guess there must be some corruption?

kitzy

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 11:12:56 AM »

Is anyone aware of any other pages served by the micro_httpd recovery to do diagnostics or erase settings?
Im only aware of upload.cgi and upload.html to do the flashing.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 05:13:26 PM »

You have repeatedly used the phrase "recovery mode" and to be utterly honest I am uncertain as to what you are referring.

A Huawei HG612 responds to its reset button as follows --
  • When powered up, a press and release of the reset button will initiate a device reboot.
  • When powered up, a press, hold for an excess of (say) ten second and release of the reset button will revert the device to its default configuration and initiate a device reboot.
  • When powered down, a press and hold pressed whilst powering up the device, then release the button will allow access to the boot loader firmware update page at 192.168.1.1 via the LAN2 port.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

RealAleMadrid

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 07:51:21 PM »

I'm also confused by this "recovery mode". I don't recognise what it is. What I would recommend is that you do not attempt to update the firmware via the normal gui web page, it doesn't work. You have to use the boot loader update method as mentioned by burakkucat, is this what you are trying to do? I seem to recall the firmware download took a lot longer than 3 seconds so something looks wrong there.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 08:26:53 PM »

What I would recommend is that you do not attempt to update the firmware via the normal gui web page, it doesn't work.

That is correct  :thumbs:

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 09:04:42 PM »

I agree you can NOT upgrade the firmware from the GUI.

I would re-install the original firmware (that's if you saved it before you started  :o ) and then start again and install the new unlocked firmware with a gui.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitzy

• Just arrived
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 08:58:58 PM »

Sorry for the confusion - I am referring to the last scenario below - bootloader firmware update page. At no point have I been able to reach any other screen.
Having now followed the advice at the top of the page, I also have a 3B. For comparison, when this is powered up normally, the power LED is solid for some seconds, followed by bunch of flashes, I'm assuming this is where the bootloader finishes its job and hands over the boot sequence to the firmware?
My 2B unit does not get this far - for some reason the bootloader recovery works fine (when holding the reset button while powering), I can upload a new firmware, I see the browser send the file in around 3 seconds, and then the next page loads and asks me to wait - after about 2 minutes the unit reboots and goes back into its cycle where I assume the boot loader starts up, fails to boot the firmware and then repeats every 10sec.

If anyone has the where withall to fix this, they are welcome to it.
You have repeatedly used the phrase "recovery mode" and to be utterly honest I am uncertain as to what you are referring.

A Huawei HG612 responds to its reset button as follows --
  • When powered up, a press and release of the reset button will initiate a device reboot.
  • When powered up, a press, hold for an excess of (say) ten second and release of the reset button will revert the device to its default configuration and initiate a device reboot.
  • When powered down, a press and hold pressed whilst powering up the device, then release the button will allow access to the boot loader firmware update page at 192.168.1.1 via the LAN2 port.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 09:20:18 PM »

I can upload a new firmware, I see the browser send the file in around 3 seconds, and then the next page loads and asks me to wait - after about 2 minutes the unit reboots and goes back into its cycle where I assume the boot loader starts up, fails to boot the firmware and then repeats every 10sec.

That does look like this HG612 2B has a issue during the firmware update & unlock process the last time I updated the HG612 3B it took 9 minutes to update the firmware via router not direct from PC and then it reboots with access to GUI depending on which firmware you installed.

wazzagogo

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2022, 09:18:45 PM »

Hi, I've now experienced the HG612 endless reboot cycle on two separate occasions, and wanted to share my experience and solution...

My HG612 has been working fine for a year, but yesterday I unplugged everything and took the face plates off my master and electrical sockets for the plasterers to come in a skim the room.

Once plugged back in, the modem went into an endless reboot cycle except when I unplugged>held reset>plugged back in - and then it seemed stable, allowed me to access the admin page on 192.168.1.1, and to upload an unlocked firmware (I assumed the firmware has somehow corrupted!)... It would allow me up upload firmware (20 seconds), and then return to reboot cycle.

Anyway, 2 days of messing about with this and I came across a hint on another post (or possibly even this thread) about a trying another power supply, I playfully tried to swap the power supplies with my modem and separate TP Link router and was surprised to discover that they were exactly the same size!. And the modem started working! The DSL light came on, and the endless reboot cycle ceased... I'd accidently used the wrong power supply!

Hopefully this might help someone whom might be experiencing an endless reboot cycle but can still access the firmware update page.

anything