Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SIP phones - Wireless vs DECT  (Read 3577 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
SIP phones - Wireless vs DECT
« on: December 04, 2015, 03:17:03 PM »

Hi,

I'm thinking of switching to SIP at home, so wondered whether anyone had any particular comments about handsets.  We currently have a fairly typical setup with a DECT phone/answermachine in one room, and a second handset elsewhere in the house.  What have other people gone for?   And is there any benefit in going for DECT rather than wireless LAN for the handsets?

Thanks,  Tony S

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: SIP phones - Wireless vs DECT
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 05:47:36 PM »

This is not something I know much about, but one comment does occur...

...the effective range of my DECT phones is much greater than my WiFi.   They can be used all the way down my garden and beyond, whereas WiFi peters out about half the distance.

On the same note, one big problem with everything WiFi is that the frequencies are shared with all manner of other legitimate devices, from baby alarms to radio controlled toys, garage door openers, security cameras and so on.   They are all quite legal but IMHO can conspire to drastically reduce WiFi reliability.   I wonder if DECT enjoys better protection? 

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 05:50:36 PM »

I am currently using a Gigaset N300A which is a DECT base station which allows me to make calls through both my land line and SIP account (it having an LAN port). I have it set to prompt which service to use so I can make use of my free calling plan with BT at the weekend. Call quality is excellent and multiple sessions mean simultaneous calls can be made/received from any of the handsets whilst enjoying the usual features of a DECT base station and central answering machine.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 07:53:43 PM »

Thanks, especially the comments about the Gigaset N300A - that's actually compatible with our existing DECT handsets (Gigaset S795).

Regarding range I think you are correct that DECT can be greater than wireless, but on the other hand unless you have a real fancy system you're limited to one base station whereas it's easy to extend wireless coverage by adding another AP.   However on balance going for the Gigaset base station looks like the sensible option, and has the advantage that I can put in service before migrating to SIP.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 10:08:42 AM »

Indeed. In fact I have only recently started using my SIP account in earnest since the latest BT increases. I used to be on the Anytime plan at circa £8 per month, but a quick calculation showed that my calls were nowhere near that. Since routing most calls over SIP my monthly call charges are less than £2, quite a saving.  :)  Calls are charged at just over 1p per minute with no setup cost.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 11:02:53 AM »

Who do you use for SIP by the way?

Tony S

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 11:15:45 AM »

When BT unilaterally terminated my Broadband Talk I moved to Sipgate, https://www.sipgate.co.uk/basic/. I have found their service very reliable and easy to configure, it's pay-as-you-go so no monthly fee. I've also plugged it into a soft phone app on my iPhone for use when I'm in a hotspot. 

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 08:51:27 PM »

I use the Siemens N300 too.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 07:23:36 PM »

Aaaahhhh.  If it's not one thing, it's another.  I've just finished setting up the N300A and plugged it in, and it gives our DSL quite a knock.  See attached showing the two brief periods when it was plugged in in place of the existing Gigaset S795.    Just emailed the supplier to see what they say.

anything