Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Plusnet "Real Rating"?  (Read 1985 times)

pintosal

• Reg Member
Plusnet "Real Rating"?
« on: January 22, 2016, 09:43:32 AM »

I'm currently on Infinity 2 with BT but considering Plusnet for cost savings.

I'm quite satisfied with the performance and service from BT.

The comparison between BT and Plusnet on Kitz http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/ISP_ratings_compare.php gives Plusnet a better rating than BT.

However, Trustpilot https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.plus.net gives Plusnet an appalling rating.

What's the reality? I would rather trust balanced feedback from Kitz than Trustpilot, where people probably go to air their problems rather than offer bouquets.

I'd welcome experience from Kitz members who use Plusnet FTTC offerings.

Al1264

Re: Plusnet "Real Rating"?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 10:04:48 AM »

Plusnet FTTC currently works very well for me.  Telephone support call queue times are quite an issue currently but that's only a problem if you need to use telephone support and somewhat dependent on what time you call in.  Online chat support is better than telephone in terms of waiting time but not perfect.  On occasions when I have had to use support I have found the actual support quality good.  The Plusnet forums are excellent for informal/community support.  I don't think Plusnet have any current issues with their own network (congestion / speeds / throttling), some users occasionally suffer from local exchange issues - I guess that could apply to any ISP.

Overall I'd recommend, particularly if cost saving is important.
I currently use Unlimited Fibre (I'm on the old 40/20 so I enjoy much better upload than the current 40/2 which might be an issue for some), the 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra should be comparable with BT Infinity 2 (you might loose ~2% download throughput speed due to Plusnet's 'line profile' system), I also use Plusnet for line rental (I used to have this elsewhere to save money but I also now use their TV service and they will only supply that if you use their line rental as well as FTTC), I don't have a calls package as all my outgoing calls are via VOIP with minimal cost, I only use the TV service so my kids can get Disney / Cartoon Network etc. without paying ridiculous Sky TV prices.
Plusnet - FTTC - AVM Fritz!Box 7490

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Plusnet "Real Rating"?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 10:19:21 AM »

I've had my home broadband with PN since 2003, and a couple of years ago changed  our works connection over to PN business. Generally they've been good over the years, yes there's been a few issues, but mainly thats the sort of problem most ISP'S will have when dealing with BT Openreach. One of the problems with support is you always end up with different support staff dealing with your  problem,  so can sometime go round in circles, but again this affects most of the big players.

I've also noticed PN can be a bit slow to evolve,  new products spend a very long time in trial before being fully released.

Overall I'm happy and have no issues.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530