Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Pulse 8 Service Quality (Phone Line)  (Read 4178 times)

aesmith

• Kitizen
Pulse 8 Service Quality (Phone Line)
« on: December 04, 2015, 07:17:44 AM »

Hi,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I can't find a better one.   A few people have recommended Pulse 8 for lines and calls, and they look unbelievably good value.  How are they for service, faults etc.  For example fixing a noisy line (which affects BB but isn't something the BB provider could raise).

Thanks, Tony S

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Pulse 8 Service Quality (Phone Line)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 05:23:21 PM »

I had an issue with caller id which was due to a faulty line. They reported it in a timely manner to OR and it was fixed.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 09:38:22 PM »

Any ISP be it budget or premium ISP cannot fix a noisy line it needs the help of a good OR engineer visit so in my eyes I can't see any difference to sevice quality as that's in the hands of Openreach not the ISP.

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 08:56:39 AM »

But one way the ISP does make a difference is how easy it is for the user to contact the ISP to report the fault and then how promptly they raise the fault report with OR.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 10:20:20 AM »

Yes, and for example one ISP who shall remain nameless makes it really difficult to report noise, their online fault logging process runs some sort of automatic check and if that finds nothing then that's the end of the process.  The only way to log would then be to hold for 60 minutes plus to speak to someone. 

Similarly I had a fault on the line a couple of years ago when I was with BT, and their automatic check came back with no fault but they still accepted the call.  When the engineer attended he told me that the test head at the exchange had been out of service.  So more BT/OR double-talk - "no fault found" can mean "we haven't been able to test".  These are the situations where you need your provider to be active, and I must say I had no problem in that regard with BT.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 11:31:19 AM »

The hardest faults to fix are intermittent ones, and usually require multiple interactions between the end-user, ISP support, and BTW/BTOR - quite possibly requiring additional handling between the ISP and BTW to get things escalated.

What you want of your ISP is a support agent who you don't need to re-explain things to, and who doesn't have to pass on the issue to some back-room staff.

The ISP ends up making a key a difference here, by the staff the employ for this role.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 03:29:44 AM »

Yes, and for example one ISP who shall remain nameless makes it really difficult to report noise, their online fault logging process runs some sort of automatic check and if that finds nothing then that's the end of the process.  The only way to log would then be to hold for 60 minutes plus to speak to someone. 

Similarly I had a fault on the line a couple of years ago when I was with BT, and their automatic check came back with no fault but they still accepted the call.  When the engineer attended he told me that the test head at the exchange had been out of service.  So more BT/OR double-talk - "no fault found" can mean "we haven't been able to test".  These are the situations where you need your provider to be active, and I must say I had no problem in that regard with BT.
I'm switching to pulse8 for line rental, from BT, BT sent me the sorry that you are leaving e-mail which gave a different switch date than i requested, and then the e-mail was worded in a way that assumed that i had paid for their lrs £192 , (not to my knowledge)  So i rang BT to clarify, i was told that it's a generic type  part of the e-mail, and he then went into  sales mode, offering a slightly cheaper calling plan than advertised, he then even said that bt are pro active in fixing faults and that they fix many line faults without the EU being aware, ::) ::) :o :D I bet they do,lol He must of thought i came down in the last shower

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 04:29:05 PM »

. . .  So i rang BT to clarify, i was told that it's a generic type  part of the e-mail, and he then went into  sales mode, offering a slightly cheaper calling plan than advertised, he then even said that bt are pro active in fixing faults and that they fix many line faults without the EU being aware, ::) ::) :o :D I bet they do,lol He must of thought i came down in the last shower

You were "honoured" with the attention of yet another Script-Muppet!  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2015, 08:49:20 PM »

. . .  So i rang BT to clarify, i was told that it's a generic type  part of the e-mail, and he then went into  sales mode, offering a slightly cheaper calling plan than advertised, he then even said that bt are pro active in fixing faults and that they fix many line faults without the EU being aware, ::) ::) :o :D I bet they do,lol He must of thought i came down in the last shower

You were "honoured" with the attention of yet another Script-Muppet!  :-X
Yup,and he was non Indian too,

Oldjim

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 09:41:26 PM »

Rather than start a new thread I always wondered how they manage to charge so little for calls until I checked - at least I think I found the right XL file - and BT wholesale charge is way less than 1p per minute
Jim
Plusnet