Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT charging to ISPs  (Read 2109 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
BT charging to ISPs
« on: November 30, 2015, 08:04:14 PM »

I would like to understand what an ISP has to pay to BT and to other suppliers. How much per GB, where and in which direction? Also how does time of day fit in, if at all?

[I have read Kitz' article at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_cost.htm which is extremely helpful.]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 08:07:19 PM by Weaver »

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: BT charging to ISPs
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 11:24:13 AM »

Interesting cost calculations there.

I guess what you need to know is what the current equivalent to a 622Mbps central pipe is...

I think WBMC uses hostlinks at 1Gb and 10Gb. This has an old description:
https://www.btwholesale.com/shared/document/Products/Broadband/Wholesale_Broadband_Managed_Connect/WBMC_Product_Outline_Issue_3.pdf
I'm not sure what still survives today.

However, BTW seem to have introduced an equivalent to the hostlink where the handover happens within Telehouse, where the annual rental seems to be around £17k for 1Gbps, and £57k for 10Gbps. According to this, those represent a fair saving from existing hostlinks.
http://postimg.org/image/t90z5fpfd/

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 12:12:46 PM »

I think ISPs also have to pay for an amount of contracted bandwidth, the publicly available WBC price list says £40 per Mb per month, it'll be higher for WBMC and IPSC.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 08:43:45 PM »

Btw I have never seen any mention of time of day anywhere, so in my own case, the 40-1 cost variation between office hours and evenings must be Andrews and Arnold, my ISP's, own invention.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 11:01:30 PM »

Plusnet used to have time-of-day restrictions; the actual times depended on which of many legacy packages you were on.

I think the invention is designed to make subscribers consciously timeshift some of their activities away from the ISP's busy-hour, away into the ISP's relatively-idle-hour.

That means the ISP doesn't have to buy quite so much capacity to cover busy-hour, which, in turn, makes it cheaper 24x7x52.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 11:54:55 PM »

@WWombat  - agreed. It certainly seems that Plusnet of yore and Andrews and Arnold are behaviour-shaping some groups of their customers to level their own traffic peaks.

Does anyone how the costing of traffic works in terms of download (inbound to ISP) vs upload/send (outwards from ISP to Internet)? Is directionality a factor in the costing?