Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: About my possible bridge tap issue  (Read 20923 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: About my possible bridge tap issue
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2016, 05:00:27 PM »

I'm really pleased to know of the successful result.  :)

Many thanks are due to WWWombat for examining my initial attempt at the calculation and then pointing out my error, caused by my speed-reading of a document.

I must just clarify one point for B*Sheep -- the calculation provided an approximate length of the bridging tap (between 69.0 & 70.7 metres) and not the starting point of the tap with reference to a known location within the circuit. It just so happened that the cause of the tap, in this particular case, was also located (by virtue of the actual wiring mistake) at the tap's length from the NTE5/A.

b*cat goes to look at gazaai's Hlog plot, with the aid of MDWS.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2016, 04:01:19 PM »

He was surprised at the length of span between my house and the pole, with a guess I would say around 50 metres to 60 metres going by several houses and at one point it dips so low the neighbour can almost touch it while outside his back door.

As soon as I saw this bit of information, my immediate guess was that your problem was caused by including the second pair in the circuit - it just smacks of too much coincidence. And even though I was right, this time it was just a lucky guess, rather than an educated one.

I hadn't expected the improvement in attenuation. That helps some too.

Working out the tap length was 1 part applying a simple engineering rule to the Hlog graph, but 9 parts working out which rule to apply. I'm glad we worked out the right one  :graduate:

What impressed me more was that you managed to get an engineer booked in the first place - and that the external engineer followed-up from the first grumpy one. Did they end up charging you for the visit? Or even threaten to in the first place? I know you were happy to pay if that is what it took.

After seeing the response you got on BT's forum, I hope you went back and told them that your suspicions were absolutely spot on. Mind you, they'd probably just turn on you because it "only" gained you around 3Mbps in each direction.

gazaai

• Reg Member
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2016, 04:15:31 PM »

Yeah it would have been a good idea for me to check for dial tone on that second circuit and I would have found out what was wrong instantly, but oh well.

I was able to get an engineer out by telling them there was crackling on the phone, even though there was no crackles lol. It was around 3 weeks of phone calls with the broadband team and they would not send an engineer out, they just kept sending me replacement home hub 5s even though I said I did not want them. So in the end I just phoned the fault team saying the phone calls were crackling. And an engineer came out a few days later.

Once the first engineer arrived I could tell he was annoyed because there was nothing really wrong with my line and my speeds were 65mb, so I thought I would have gotten charged. Until he noticed the spike on the line graph, and instantly put the master socket back together and said he would get another engineer out in a few days.

The Second engineer arrived around 5 days later at around 8.30am with no phone call so was unexpected. He came inside done the line check like the first guy, seen the spike in the graph. Stuck an oscillator 87J on the line and went to pole. He disappeared for around an hour, came back and told me there was two faults on my circuit. One that affected my speed and one that did not. He told me there was the issue with the bridge tap at the pole with both pairs connected together, and another issue he couldn't explain that was from the exchange to my pair in the cabinet that is used for ADSL services. He plugged it all back in and left, there was no mention of a charge so I don't think ill have to pay a penny :)
Plusnet: 80 / 20
MDWS Username: GaZaai

Modem: Billion 8800NL (Bridge Mode)
Router + AP: NETGEAR R7800 (OpenWRT/LEDE)
APs: 2x Linksys Linksys EA6700

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2016, 06:04:41 PM »

. . . told me there was two faults on my circuit. One that affected my speed and one that did not. He told me there was the issue with the bridge tap at the pole with both pairs connected together, and another issue he couldn't explain that was from the exchange to my pair in the cabinet that is used for ADSL services.

Two physical faults were found and then corrected. Therefore Openreach should not invoice your CP/ISP and, in turn, your CP/ISP should not invoice you. If there is any attempt by your CP/ISP to charge you for the visits, reject it. Likewise your CP/ISP should reject any attempt by Openreach to charge them.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

anything