Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ofcom wifi checker  (Read 1603 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Ofcom wifi checker
« on: December 01, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »

This is mentioned on BBC tech news.
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/news/ofcom-launches-wifi-checker/

There's a decent technical description here, of how it works and what it measures..
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/infrastructure/2015/downloads/whitepaper.pdf

Interestingly, the AppStore publisher is actually 'Samknows Limited'.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Ofcom wifi checker
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 09:38:48 AM »

I saw this on BBC Breakfast today so downloaded it to my Android phone. I ran it and basically it gives you a report but as mine came up all OK I'm not sure what it shows if something wrong is detected.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 10:13:08 AM »

From the report page, click on the menu icon, then 'detailed report'.  That gives more interesting numbers, including an asessment of retransmissions and 'delay'.

In my case, all over the house, the only thing that varies is 'delay', no retransmissions anywhere.  Which brings me comfort.

I may dig out my old (broken) 2.4Ghz toy helicopter, switch on the transmitter,  and try the test again.   Wifi (and the helicopter) is 'required' to tolerate interference from other users of the band, but it would be interesting to see if the App detects any difference, or quantifies any degradation.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 10:20:31 AM »

Yes I saw that, my loss was 0% and the delay 2ms but since I'm sitting less than a metre from my router that is highly likely. I will try elsewhere in the house later.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 11:01:18 AM »

I tried that 2.4GHz helicopter.  My wireless router is in the middle of the house, and I put the R/C transmitter in the furthest corner.

Standing halfway between the two, the App tells me 'There may be a problem'.   Detailed report quantifies it as 2% data loss, 341mS delay.

Standing close to the transmitter, I again get told there might be a problem, data loss being reported as (interestingly) 0%, but delay a whopping 1096 mS. I must read that paper again (linked in first post) that explains what is being measured.  But it does appear that the App is capable of distinguishing a WiFi that is struggling. :)

Worth mentioning that all WiFi connected equipment did co-exist and work to perfection when the helicopter was last 'in service'.  But, in these days, I was probably only using WiFi for web browsing.